Spin the Black Circle

My first carb up is Saturday, so this week is pretty well glycogen depleted. I feel fantastic, it is kinda creepy. My head is clear and I am less tired in the mornings. I got tired during the last 14 minutes of cardio last night, but I might’ve just been bored. I felt great while lifting.

I have some low thyroid issues so I am planning on just doing one day of carb up. When I started my thyroid meds last winter, I felt better and my hormone levels got better, but I gained weight very quickly (lots of carbs at that time, too). We’ll see if one day affects my lifts. Ideally I will lose enough weight to be able to do a carb up on the night before a meet (without busting my weight class), if the glycogen infusion is really as awesome as some people say.

I’m not craving carbs at all, which is really, really weird for me (I have an obscene sweet tooth and love beer). When I would eat a low fat, high protein, good carb diet I would find myself craving carbs like no one’s business. I would eat two pounds of cherries or grapes in a day, or five or six apples, and then still want a Twix bar.

I know it is more rare for a man, but I am actually concerned that I have thyroid issues. I have a real hard time gaining weight among other things. I found that when I was doing the AD, two days of carbs was just too much. I didn’t feel I was gaining fat, but I just generally felt moody and unhappy on Sundays, whereas Saturday was always a good day. The glycogen infusion did feel great in the gym. If you plan on taking advantage of that for a PL meet, you should keep in mind that the muscles that will supercompensate with glycogen the most, are the ones that were most recently worked. If you plan on doing all three lifts, then you would probably benefit from some sort of total body work on that Friday before you carb up.

[quote]
I’m not craving carbs at all, which is really, really weird for me (I have an obscene sweet tooth and love beer). When I would eat a low fat, high protein, good carb diet I would find myself craving carbs like no one’s business. I would eat two pounds of cherries or grapes in a day, or five or six apples, and then still want a Twix bar.[/quote]

I also didn’t crave carbs, which honestly felt like I had kicked an addiction. As odd as it sounds, I was kind of proud of myself each time I had zero desire to ravage a bag of oreos, because I consciously noticed the lack of desire. There are oreos, I don’t want them. woohoo! Beer was harder for me to say no to. Especially after convincing myself that guiness is low-carb enough.

I could avoid twix because I’m still mad at them for dumping old-school PB-twix…

I just found out I’m hypothyroid too…in July. Seems like a lot of ladies here are!

You said you gained after you found out?
Interesting…was it harder to lose and keep off or are you still trying? I know you mentioned that you’ve gained and lost before and I’ve been in the same boat…only this time it’s harder to lose!

Hijack*

borrek- possibly HYPERthyroidism?
I didn’t think there was anything wrong with me, sure I was tired and lazy feeling most of the time, but what really bothered me was that no matter what I did, I couldn’t get the scale to budge…and since I was losing inches I tried not to worry too much…but the fatigue got worse, and despite everyone telling me it was all in my head and that I just had to ‘work harder,’ I went to the DOC…a simple blood test later, and poof!

If your symptoms bother you to the point its hard to function, why not go to the DOC? You are your own advocate for your health!!

*btw-what part of MI? My hubby and his family are from Greenville( North of Lansing)

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
I just found out I’m hypothyroid too…in July. Seems like a lot of ladies here are!

You said you gained after you found out?
Interesting…was it harder to lose and keep off or are you still trying? I know you mentioned that you’ve gained and lost before and I’ve been in the same boat…only this time it’s harder to lose!

[/quote]

I’m really not sure if it is harder to lose - I have not been consistent enough to really be able to tell.

My mom is Queen Thyroid Issue and she suspected I had some thyroid stuff for a couple of years, so I don’t doubt that the hormones had been messed up, even when I lost the biggest chunk of weight. I think I am able to lose still (I am technically still subclinical hypo - Hashimoto’s), but I just haven’t been dedicated enough. Which sucks, because all my nice cool clothes are in my skinny size…motivation!

No gym tonight - sister came over to play Xbox with the husband. She’s a better woman than I.

Foam rolled hips, quads, and back. Practiced wrapping knees. I’ve been doing the wrap shown on the ATP website video with the little tie at the top for quick release. Getting them tight enough to feel like bruising, hehe. Anyone have any hints, clues, etc. for knee wrapping (and yes Ron, this means you too!)?

[quote]pch2 wrote:
pushmepullme wrote:
Pearl Jam…I’m slightly obsessed, and it is my favorite squatting song…the black circle is the plate, instead of the record.

Should I just have the mods move this thread to the secret TOTAL GEEK forum?

I don’t know why you haven’t realized it yet, but they’re all secret total geek forums.
[/quote]

Yeah, and any thread I post in, the geek factor goes up by like 10.

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress.

Today was equipped max squat testing. With no spotter, I had to put myself in my suit and wrap my knees. The issue - which to do first??!? I did it, but it was exhausting.

5x135 straps down
3x185 straps down
1x225 straps up
1x255 straps, wraps, belt
2x1x275 straps, wraps, belt - missed first on depth; second was close re: depth, but I really corkscrewed it up - obvious leg strength differences when I look at the video. Ron, help?

12x225, wraps, straps, belt
5x315, short ROM, no wraps, for walk out fun

deadlift
At this point, I was already exhausted. 2x5x225 with straps up. Second set, took straps down halfway through - the suit was eating up my legs too much.

side bends, 3x10x70/side

Shortish workout, but my legs were quivering during the first knee wrap. Yes Ron, I will do my cardio. Planning on pushing the car Saturday morning. Tomorrow is bench fun with the teammate at the local PL gym.

I have a video of the corkscrew squat attempt, but am still figuring out how to post it.

No workout tonight…gym buddy had car trouble, and I had no one to help me with my shirt.

Tomorrow is car pushing fun (please don’t let it rain or snow), followed by Oklahoma-texas football and much beer and fruit (I’m craving strawberries!). Sunday will be today’s planned 1rm bench workout, as hubby will be able (coughforced) to come to the gym to assist me.

Awesome!
I’ve always wanted to try a 1RM for a bench…
How often do you do 1rms out of curiosity?

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Awesome!
How often do you do 1rms out of curiosity?[/quote]

Pretty much whenever the coach tells me to. We are trying to get a baseline for training right now, so I can see what progress I make for my December meet.

I usually go down to his gym once a month or so, to figure out equipment stuff, check form, test maxes, etc.

Left to my own devices, I would do high weight, 1-2 reps every workout - I just like them better - but I know it isn’t the best way to progress.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
mom-in-MD wrote:
Awesome!
How often do you do 1rms out of curiosity?

Pretty much whenever the coach tells me to. We are trying to get a baseline for training right now, so I can see what progress I make for my December meet.

I usually go down to his gym once a month or so, to figure out equipment stuff, check form, test maxes, etc.

Left to my own devices, I would do high weight, 1-2 reps every workout - I just like them better - but I know it isn’t the best way to progress.
[/quote]

That is what I do. I pick a weight a bit below my 1RM, for instance my last 1RM was 135 so I I choose 115-120, and do the core of my bench press workout there. Then I like to do low reps, 2-3, within 5-10lb of my 1 RM and usually my 1RM at least once. If those feel easy enough then I hit my 1RM w/o a spotter and the next week I try to hit a new 1 RM, w/ a spotter.

Good info, thanks!

Pushed the car 17 minutes.

Oklahoma lost.

Fuck.

Corkscrew squat at 275. You can see the weakness at the bottom, although it came up very quickly. Need to get a little deeper.

275, none the less though!

Do you always take a wide stance? I do.
I’ve posted this question on my thread in the differences between stances…and should we force ourselves a narrower stance from time to time. Thoughts? :stuck_out_tongue:

Bench shirted 1RM testing today.

Raw 5x95, 3x115, 1x135
Shirted 1x155, 1x175, 0x195, 0x185.
Shirted 6x1x155 (one of these is shown on this video: Bench 155 - YouTube ).

Still working on keeping elbows in, leg drive, and keeping a short stroke.

The 175 went up pretty easily, so the hubby convinced me to go for 195. No go! At the 195 attempt, my left tri started aching a bit, but I tried to still get the 185. I think I have the 185 in me.

Band chin-ups - two red mini bands. 6, 5, 5, 5

Seated DB Press (both arms at same time)
10x25, 10x30, 6x35

DB Rows
10x40, 10x45, 2x6x50

Triceps rope pushdowns (did these instead of extensions because of the wonky tri from earlier)
10x60, 10x80, 3x3x90, 3x10x60, 18x40

Incline DB curls
3x10x20

Rope crunches
15x60, 15x80, 2x15x100

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Do you always take a wide stance? I do.
I’ve posted this question on my thread in the differences between stances…and should we force ourselves a narrower stance from time to time. Thoughts? :P[/quote]

I’ve occasionally done a narrow stance, and it does feel different the next day. Definitely lower weight for me with that. I always take a wide stance because I’m doing the PL thing, and well, that’s how I squat for a meet.

Single leg extension
Right 10x110, 8x110, 8x110
Left 10x110, 8x110, 8x110

Left leg is a bit weaker - had to rest a bit during last set.

Walking lunges 3x20 steps/side x 20 lbs in each hand

Glute Hams 5x5

Single Leg Calf Press 10 sets x10 reps/leg

Back Hypers holding 30lb DB - 5x6

Adductor machine 3x10x150
Abductor machine 3x10x150

Single leg planks - 4x60 seconds each

Abductor machine made hips cry, but that is probably a good thing.

Planning to go to the local PL gym with workout buddy on Friday, knock on wood. Tomorrow will be some cardio of some sort.

Been very very sleepy this week! Got nine hours last night and could’ve used three more.

Yesterday evening was burpees, DB swings, and jumping rope for 20 minutes. My legs & butt are still sore from Wednesday. Tomorrow is DL, college football, carbs, and sister’s pretend-wedding day, hurrah!