Spin the Black Circle

Hey all, I need to get more organized with my training and think a log will help me do that.

My next meet is December 6. My goal is to total at least 793 in the 165 weight class, to qualify for USAPL Women’s Nationals.

Right now, my best raw bench is 165, best equipped squat is 275, and best equipped deadlift is 298. I’ve just started lifting with equipment, so I need to get comfortable in it and use it more.

I intend to drop a few lbs so I don’t have to worry about cutting or having my equipment fit at a meet. I can deal with eating clean, but I hate cardio!

My coach sets up a program for me, which I then do on my own (he lives south, I live north, it’s very traumatic). I’ll probably get my new program on Monday or so, but I’ll hit the gym Sunday just to get some kinks out.

I hope I’ll be able to post videos of my lifts. Since I generally train alone or with my husband, videos should keep my squats honest.

Cool, I’l be looking forward to your log.
I’m not an equipped lifter, but there are a few girls around who are and will be interested in your training for sure.

That’s great you are starting a log. We are in the same weight class and our lift numbers are about the same.

Do you bench with a shirt?

I’m glad you are starting a log. I look forward to following it. I have always been curious as to how you train. Good Luck!

HI!!

That’s all I got. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]cvb wrote:
That’s great you are starting a log. We are in the same weight class and our lift numbers are about the same.

[/quote]

I’m starting with it - you can see I’m in a loose one in my avatar. My last meet, I opened raw with 143, then missed 160 and 170 shirted, after I’d hit both relatively easily in warmups. So I am definitely still learning. I’m still not sure how to size a shirt, as any shirt sized to my chest is way too huge in the shoulders.

I’m planning to order a custom squat suit, but won’t be able to get it in time for the next meet, so I am squatting and deadlifting in a Metal sumo deadlifting suit. My coach bought it for himself, but it was too big, so he’s letting me use it.

[quote]dianab wrote:
I’m not an equipped lifter, but there are a few girls around who are and will be interested in your training for sure.[/quote]

I’m not sure I’d call myself equipped - I lifted raw for close to a year, and I really love the raw lifters. I think equipment is fun, and a completely different sport.

I lift in the local rec center, so showing up in a suit or shirt gets a lot of weird looks.

Yay. I’m so glad you’re going to be posting a log. I’m curious to see your training plus I just enjoy reading your posts in general.

I don’t really get out much though.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
dianab wrote:
I’m not an equipped lifter, but there are a few girls around who are and will be interested in your training for sure.

I’m not sure I’d call myself equipped - I lifted raw for close to a year, and I really love the raw lifters. I think equipment is fun, and a completely different sport.

I lift in the local rec center, so showing up in a suit or shirt gets a lot of weird looks.[/quote]

I agree, from my very limited experience with gear, it does add a whole new aspect to the sport.
I’ll start with gear in the new year maybe. I have 2 meets to get through first.

Pearl Jam reference or is it some PLing thing I don’t know about?

Pearl Jam…I’m slightly obsessed, and it is my favorite squatting song…the black circle is the plate, instead of the record.

Should I just have the mods move this thread to the secret TOTAL GEEK forum?

Pearl Jam…I’m slightly obsessed, and it is my favorite squatting song…the black circle is the plate, instead of the record.

Should I just have the mods move this thread to the secret TOTAL GEEK forum?[/quote]

I don’t know why you haven’t realized it yet, but they’re all secret total geek forums.

Training wise, how long have you been at it, and how’d you get started?

I always liked lifting - did some in high school with swim team, some in college for a class - but I was never really organized about it. In 2004, I got married, graduated law school, failed to get a job, and dealt with my husband blowing out his achilles’ tendon. During this time, I went from 160 to 195. When my interview suits were too tight, I started Body for Life and ended up at around 155. Husband blew his patellar tendon last winter (sensing a pattern?) and I went back up to 170.

About 6 months into BFL, my friend Sunny taught me how to deadlift and about powerlifting. I was never worried about being too big because I’ve always been built like a linebacker. I enjoyed the big 3 lifts, and when I went for an interview at my current job (after 2.5 years at a hellhole), my boss asked what I would be if not a lawyer. I said either a librarian or a powerlifter. Turns out, one of the secretaries who has worked there forever is married to a world champ powerlifter (he’s double qualified for the 09 Arnold, both raw and equipped).

She hooked me up with him and I did my first meet in 12/07. I’ve been hooked ever since.

my boss asked what I would be if not a lawyer. I said either a librarian or a powerlifter. Turns out, one of the secretaries who has worked there forever is married to a world champ powerlifter (he’s double qualified for the 09 Arnold, both raw and equipped).

She hooked me up with him and I did my first meet in 12/07. I’ve been hooked ever since. [/quote]

Good for you!! It fascinates me how an offhand comment can open such a huge door for someone. I wish you TONS (in 45 lb plates!!) of good fortune!!

I always liked lifting - did some in high school with swim team, some in college for a class - but I was never really organized about it. In 2004, I got married, graduated law school, failed to get a job, and dealt with my husband blowing out his achilles’ tendon. During this time, I went from 160 to 195. When my interview suits were too tight, I started Body for Life and ended up at around 155. Husband blew his patellar tendon last winter (sensing a pattern?) and I went back up to 170.

About 6 months into BFL, my friend Sunny taught me how to deadlift and about powerlifting. I was never worried about being too big because I’ve always been built like a linebacker. I enjoyed the big 3 lifts, and when I went for an interview at my current job (after 2.5 years at a hellhole), my boss asked what I would be if not a lawyer. I said either a librarian or a powerlifter. Turns out, one of the secretaries who has worked there forever is married to a world champ powerlifter (he’s double qualified for the 09 Arnold, both raw and equipped).

She hooked me up with him and I did my first meet in 12/07. I’ve been hooked ever since. [/quote]

I totally feel you on the gaining and losing weight thing…for me I’d lose weight every time the hubby would go on deployment, and gain it all back during his home cycle…

That’s really neat how everything fell into place for you!! I love stories like that. :slight_smile:

cvb wrote:

I’m starting with it - you can see I’m in a loose one in my avatar. My last meet, I opened raw with 143, then missed 160 and 170 shirted, after I’d hit both relatively easily in warmups. So I am definitely still learning. I’m still not sure how to size a shirt, as any shirt sized to my chest is way too huge in the shoulders.

I’m planning to order a custom squat suit, but won’t be able to get it in time for the next meet, so I am squatting and deadlifting in a Metal sumo deadlifting suit. My coach bought it for himself, but it was too big, so he’s letting me use it.[/quote]

That shirt looks way too loose to be a bench shirt:) I have my bench shirts custom made. For my squat and deadlift suit, I bought metal suits that are loose on the hips and waist but fit my legs. I will have them taken in after my meet. Finding equipment to fit a female is a pain.

[quote]pch2 wrote:

I don’t know why you haven’t realized it yet, but they’re all secret total geek forums.
[/quote]

lol

Tonight:

Close grip bench 12x bar, 5x8x95, 24xbar. Concentrated on explosion off the chest. Made sure every rep was tight, arched, in position for a meet attempt. I’m working on stretching out my hips as I have trouble spreading my legs wide enough to get leg drive without the risk of a butt popping up (make jokes at will).

DB rows, 3x10x40/side
hammer curls with the hammer curl bar, 5x10x25
wide grip lat pull downs 5x8x96
front raises supersetted with rear delt raises, 3x10x12.5 for each exercise
Dips 5x5

Tonight, fun with the coach…testing a 1rm with bands.

I used my red bands, one size up from mini bands. Due to hubby’s surgery, I had no spotter. I rigged the rack up so that I could hit my chest in an arch, but drop the weight on the bars in the event of failure.

Band bench, arched, explosion off the chest: 10xbar, 3x95, 1x115, 1x135 (slower here), 1x145, 0x155 (failed). I felt like I could’ve made 155 if I had a liftoff, but lifting it off myself takes a lot out of me on higher weights.

Straight bar row, 3x10x95

Overhead press, for reps not weight, 3x15x45

Hammer curl - not sure what the hammer curl bar weighs - maybe around 15. 12.5 on each side. 3x8x12.5

Ball crunches with 10lb medicine ball on chest. 10x10.

16 minutes rower (I love playing the fish game, where you go faster or slower to kill or be killed…in the fish world)

14 minutes arc trainer.

You said you’re on the AD right? How is that affecting your workouts later in the week? Are you doing a two day carb up, or do you find that one day is enough for heavy lifting?