Spin Bike Thoughts/Suggestions?

Just wondering if anyone has any specific brands or models that they’ve found to be decent quality, price etc etc? I always liked using the recumbant bikes for my cardio, but figured a traditional upright bike would be better in terms of space (using in the living room and t hen wheeling it behind the couch), and more of an all body general fitness component.

S

I have nothing to add, but will probably be in the market for one come the new year too

I don’t want to derail this at all, since you actually have a question, but this is the one that leans back? What did you like about it? I always feel like it’s cheating, but, if it worked for you, I clearly need to give it another look.

The only real experience I have on one long term is Schwinn, but that’s an airdyne, which might not be the best fit. But their construction and ergonomics are excellent, and I don’t think they deviate much from that standard throughout their line.

I can’t remember the one I’ve used a lot for warm ups at my buddies house, but the cranks on it are just so short, they’re like the ones on little kid bikes.

Ideally, I’d like a crank set to be the same as the bike I ride, which is 175 or 180 mm.

highly recommend airdyne. got an AD2 and am very happy with it. adding arms is just great. however it could be used legs only as well

When I would do hard cardio sessions during a prep. I always regarded them as a push for caloric burn and not part of my “real” training. You see advertisements for cardio machines (ellipticals, steppers…) always touting their “full body” workouts. Of course whenever I would attempt my full bore High intensity cardio bouts the machines would shake, wobble, thump, generally make me feel like they were going to break. The regular bikes would sometimes be an issue as my lower back would occasionally get tweak-y as my body fat levels dropped increasingly low.

One day I tried a recumbent and to my pleasant surprise I found that I had no strain on my lower back, and I could just grit my teeth, squeeze the hell out of the hand grips, make horrible facial contortions and just peddle like my life depended on it without the base of the machine even budging.

yeah I’d get crazy looks from the usual crowd you’d expect to see wasting away an hour a day on the other recumbents, barely moving at all, but those do or die sessions I’d include twice a week were a big part of many successful contest assaults.

S

5 Likes

Thank you - I really appreciate that detailed response and your reasoning!

1 Like

Opening up the hip joint quite a bit really helps. Extended/intense riding can shorten things up and make the low back hurt.

I like the look of some of the upright exercise bike designs, but haven’t used any and can’t vouch for them. On my ex. bike I don’t use the handlebars/upper body much, and either hold on to the back of the seat or lace my fingers across the top of my head.

1 Like

You mean the recumbent does this because of its position, or that’s something one should work on in addition?

Yes, the recumbant does this because of the position.

It could also be good to work on in addition, especially if you find yourself in a seated position a good bit.

1 Like

Just going to throw something different out there, but I like the idea of the stands with resistance in which you use a road bike on. I like the idea that I could use my road bike in nice weather on the road, but then be able to throw it on the stand and get some indoor exercise with the same bike just using the stand.

With these there are some companies which have screens you can add, and race others (who will have the same resistance added at the same times as you).

I had one of those many years ago. Figured it’d save me money etc etc… Of course then one of my student’s parents gifted me a treadmill, which I used for all my prep-morning-cardio sessions and I gave the bike/stand/trainer away.

Of course, even if I still had it, I doubt the wife would be thrilled with me setting up my mountain bike in our living room to watch TV on :slight_smile:

S

Not sure a big fan is going to go down well with other family members in the lounge room lol

I can’t remember the brand but a long while ago, I bought a cheap magnetic bike (under $150) with the most comfortable seat I could find and that was great.

We moved and I gave it to a cousin who also loved it. Their kids ended up breaking it after years of abuse so don’t have a brand but I think these are reasonable options and don’t put you in a race bike position like some spin bikes.

1 Like

I don’t know about budget here, but exercise bikes of many quality levels end up at local thrift shops all the time. I would bet that if one were to stop by a couple goodwill stores, that they could find something pretty good for not much money.

Maybe money isn’t a concern. I think for this item my first instinct would be to find a quality item on the used market. Thrift shop, CL, facebook marketplace, would be looked at before dropping a bunch of money.

1 Like

My wife agrees with you. :joy:

They do make other types though. I was really only speaking of the manufacturer though. I’ve had one for about a year and a half under frequent and sometimes long duration use, and I haven had any “You know what I hate about this thing…” things develope.

I bought the Rogue Echo bike but I could never get the ergos to fit (I’m 6’4"). When I put the seat high enough, I couldn’t keep hold of the uprights. Seat too low and I got bad quad tendonitis. I sold it after 6 months or so. I keep looking at the Sole bikes, but they are priced even more.

Yeah, some are expensive, but I also don’t want to regret not buying something of good quality. I’m planning on really beating the he’ll out of whatever I pick up.

I’m seeing people praise larger fly wheels, belt drives,… unsure if the magnetic resistance is a plus or not from the actual reviews…

S

I bought a $300 spin bike off Amazon with great reviews. It served me well when I did use it. I’m normally a snob when it comes to biking… won’t ride anything under $6,000 new :joy: but I had trouble paying big money for a spin bike. Same with a rower.

I bought a spin bike and rower off Amazon with the intent of showing myself how shitty the cheap ones were so I could justify the fancy ones. Never found a need to upgrade. When I quit racing dirt bikes I lent both machines to a buddy who’s son is making a serious push in racing. He’s used them quite a bit and are still going strong. I’m about to get them back and let the girl friend play on them.

Spent many many hours on real and stationary bikes.

Spin bikes with a heavy flywheel are the closest to actual imo. Better than a real bike on a stand, due to stability when pedaling fast and easier to stand on pedals like a hill climb. There are instructions on seat/handlebar placement - unless you are looking for joint issues.

Recumbent is easier on low back, but obviously can’t do ‘hills’. l have read is less c/v strenuous due to heart/leg position. Can’t speak to that, but upright requires more muscle in play.

Plan on spending a reasonable amount and do some test riding. Even some very expensive ones don’t allow for easy pedaling. They aren’t worth it, even if free. Bonus - makes a great warm up for leg workouts.

1 Like

With no bike of my own, I “trained” for an adventure trip using spin classes at the gym lol -it worked for me.

Sounds obvious and might be a feature of all spin bikes, but be sure to use bike shoes with the clip on pedals because it allows you to pull with the hamstrings.

1 Like