T Nation

Spiking Insulin and Diabetes

Hi there. I did a search, but could not find a post dealing with my insulin question.

I’ve noticed lots of bodybuilding diets recommend “spiking” insulin at certain times (like PWO) because it’s anabolic.

But doesn’t spiking your insulin give you type-2 diabetes? I know that sitting around gorging on candy and putting on lots of weight is the usual cause, but I thought that having lots of highs/lows in your insulin created a problem too.

Am I wrong? Is this a risk you guys are willing to take? What’s the answer?

Thanks guys.
Alexei.

Good timing, read Chris Lockwood’s Corit-Sham.

What a lot of people around here are referring to is manipulating an “insulin spike” post workout to cause the maximum amount of recovery and growth.

Everytime you eat, your insulin production increases. By taking in some higher glycemic carbs post workout, you cause an insulin spike that forces the carbs into the cells at a time that the body is prepared to accept and utilize the carbs.

Type 2 diabetes is caused when the body builds a resistance to its own insulin. It’s not caused so much by “spikes” as it is by people who constantly keep their insulin production in overdrive. For instance, eat a surgary/fatty breakfast, followed up by a midmorning candy bar and soda, followed by carb/fat ladden lunch, another afternoon soda, etc.

When you establish a lifestyle like this your body keeps throwing insulin at the problem until the body builds a resistance, much like the overuse of antibiotics.

Quick note,

the body does not develop resistance to antibiotics, bacteria does.

The rest about insulin is exactly that, constantly high level induce receptor downregulation.

AlexH

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
Quick note,

the body does not develop resistance to antibiotics, bacteria does.

The rest about insulin is exactly that, constantly high level induce receptor downregulation.

AlexH[/quote]

Thanks Alex, poor example. I should have come up with a better example, like caffine, or for me specifically…ibuprofen.

So - spiking my insulin at certain times (say, every PWO) won’t create a resistance high enough to be a problem?

Unlike constantly raising insulin levels through high sugar meals throughout the day.

Meaning, PWO spiking won’t be detrimental to health at all.

Is that right?

Thanks guys.
Alexei.

[quote]Alexei wrote:
So - spiking my insulin at certain times (say, every PWO) won’t create a resistance high enough to be a problem?

Unlike constantly raising insulin levels through high sugar meals throughout the day.

Meaning, PWO spiking won’t be detrimental to health at all.

Is that right?

Thanks guys.
Alexei.[/quote]

Exactly, it could even be beneficial considering that you will increase your muscle mass, which allows for more carbohydrate burning metabolism.

Knock yourself out with the PWO spiking.