T Nation

SpikeTV:AntiGun Edit?


Spike TV had the Milius masterpiece “Red Dawn” on tonight, I was busy with something else but couldnt help noticing that a key scene was edited out of this TV version, and do not think it was not intentional

Can you explain how they managed an anti-gun edit of RED DAWN?


2

3


4

[quote]etaco wrote:
Can you explain how they managed an anti-gun edit of RED DAWN?[/quote]
Thats why I posted vidcaps of the missing scene…The truck with bumper sticker, then the Russian Paratrooper “literally” taking the .45 Auto from the fallen citizens “cold dead fingers”…Just seems a bit suspicious this was removed…

I see.

If they really had an anti-gun agenda though do you think they would have run Red Dawn in the first place?

Why not just try and email spike TV and ask them if this edit was motivated by anti-gun politics? Movies are often chopped to hell to fit into time slots.

However, if some idiots did this on purpose
because they are anti-gun, I suggest a boycott(which will hurt because of all the UFC stuff on Spike).

[quote]etaco wrote:
I see.

If they really had an anti-gun agenda though do you think they would have run Red Dawn in the first place?[/quote]
Good point…I think it’s a matter of degree…They may not be “pro” gun, but less hypocritical exploiters of gun misuse such as HBO, or less blatant liars about guns like CNN, CBS/NBC/ABC…

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Why not just try and email spike TV and ask them if this edit was motivated by anti-gun politics? Movies are often chopped to hell to fit into time slots.

However, if some idiots did this on purpose
because they are anti-gun, I suggest a boycott(which will hurt because of all the UFC stuff on Spike).[/quote]

Hmmmmmm…

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Spike TV had the Milius masterpiece “Red Dawn” on tonight, I was busy with something else but couldnt help noticing that a key scene was edited out of this TV version, and do not think it was not intentional…[/quote]

Nice job noticing this, just bought Red Dawn a couple weeks ago. I tend to think an edit of this scene was caused by anti-gun sentiments, though etaco makes a good point.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Nice job noticing this, just bought Red Dawn a couple weeks ago. I tend to think an edit of this scene was caused by anti-gun sentiments, though etaco makes a good point.[/quote]
Etaco Rules, the man has mad critical thinking/observational skills in my experience…I assume you grabbed the DVD?..

I reckon Spike just wants to fill up a 2 Hour slot with a “proven” action film with a few bankable names (Chuck Sheen,Swayze,Booth,Stanton) to grab viewers…

I always get a snicker out of Director Milius’s brainy tweaks, such as the Teacher (Frank McRae, who also starred as the historically accurate Black accomplice in Milius’s film “Dillinger”, the only film on the subject other than Bogie’s “Petrified Forest” to portray this real life gangster as Black) as a Crispus Attucks figure (i.e. the “Boston Massacre” that sparked our revolutionary war) being the first to fall to enemy fire…

or the WW2 Maquis/“Longest Day” reference with the radio messages (“john has the long moustache”)…Great stuff, and why I noticed the “cold dead fingers” scene was missing (but they left in the line about searching the gun stores for the ATF forms identifying all the gun ownwers in town)…