Spike With Claritin D

I know the Spike label says not to take this with decongestants, but has anyone tried this safely?

Works with alegra.

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
Works with alegra.[/quote]

Well allegra (unless it is allegra-d) is an antihistamine, not a decongestant (which usually contains some form of stimulants in pseudoephedrine). Personally, I would stick to taking Spike and that separately as suggested.

Claritin D packs 240 mg of Pseudo per tablet.

Compare this with a standard Pseudo dose of 30 mg.

The Claritin D is “time released” so that theoretically you will get a steady amount of Pseudo over a 16hr period.

However this is based on a “standard” dissolution test using a simulated body environment. Let?s just say this isn’t perfect and not everyone’s system is exactly the same.

What I am fumbling around to say is you will very likely have more pseudo in your system at certain times during the day than the recommended dose.

It is not suggested to take spike with other stimulants. This most certainly includes pseudo.

So take it with Claritin(just loradadine no pseudo), but I certainly wouldn’t take it with Claritin D.

I hope that helps.

[quote]DTak wrote:
Claritin D packs 240 mg of Pseudo per tablet.

Compare this with a standard Pseudo dose of 30 mg.

The Claritin D is “time released” so that theoretically you will get a steady amount of Pseudo over a 16hr period.

However this is based on a “standard” dissolution test using a simulated body environment. Let?s just say this isn’t perfect and not everyone’s system is exactly the same.

What I am fumbling around to say is you will very likely have more pseudo in your system at certain times during the day than the recommended dose.

It is not suggested to take spike with other stimulants. This most certainly includes pseudo.

So take it with Claritin(just loradadine no pseudo), but I certainly wouldn’t take it with Claritin D.

I hope that helps.
[/quote]

Good points.

My concern is this, I remember a true story from the papers last year about a high school wrestler who took an OTC stimulant with psuedoephedrine and then went to the doc with mom to get some RX cough meds for a cold. When asked about other meds, he didn’t mention the OTC he took to the doc.

When he took the RX cold meds on top of the OTC , he had a heart attack and died.

True story.

When Spike released Biotest cust svc said not to mix the two, they needed more time for studies.

Just wondering if anyone out there had mixed the two without complications.

I’d recommend using an antihistamine without pseudoephedrine.