T Nation

Spike Tolerance?

I just tried my first can of Spike Shooter and did’nt notice much of an effect. Previously, when I tried the pills I got laser focus from one pill, eventually it took two pills to get the same effect and then it just stopped working. I was tempted to try three pills but I think the limit is two per day.

Is it possible to develop a tolerance towards Spike? If its not then could someone chime in and explain whats wrong because from the reviews and the short experience of it working for me, it’s effect is something I would LOVE to have more of.

Edit: I usually keep them in my fridge if anyone was wondering.

Seriously?..Nobody has had this problem?

I have this tollerace also.
its a tolerance to stimulants in general and yes it is common.
try not drinking any caffine or taking any stims for a week or 2 and then when you drink the Spike it should work again.

Spike Shooter and the Spike tablets are, incidentally, quite substantially different products.

The tolerance-limiting component in Spike Shooter is yohimbine, while the component of the tablets that can limit tolerance is for most individuals the thiamine di(2-methylpropionate) disulfide], though yohimbine is also present. The Shooter does not contain that thiamine derivative.

So tolerance to one really is generally unrelated to tolerance to the other.

Don’t exceed the recommended maximums on these. Particularly with yohimbine, excess just isn’t a good idea. While toleration may occur with regard to CNS perception of the compound, causing the product to no longer give the desired kick in feel, I am not at all sure that true tolerance develops with regard to ability to cause side effects such as tachycardia (rapid heart rate.)

I would instead just give it a rest for a while if habituation has occurred and the product now seems for a given person now not useful.

Thanks for the response guys, but the last time I used stimulants was in June before a big game and those were the Spike tabs. Today was the first time since then I have used stimulants and that was the orange gold Spike Shooter I drank. I don’t drink coffee, tea, or soda nor do I consume any other source of caffeine.

I remember reading something a while back about how adrenal fatigue severley decreased the effectivness of stimulants, but I don’t suffer from any of the symtoms.

Well, if the effect you liked from the tabs was the thiamine derivative, and it probably was, the Spike Shooter does not have that ingredient.

If you haven’t tried the tabs since that previous use, they may work again for you; but from your previous experience this would for you be for a limited time if used again at the same frequency as was the case then.

Well, I still have 3 tabs left, I’ll take 2 tommorow after waking up(incase they do work). I’ll update this about an hour after consumption and let you guys know what happened. Kind of dissapointed though, I was hoping for the Spike edge this semester :[

Hey Bill, does that mean since the Spike Shooter lacks the thiamine derivative, it won’t be of use to me at all? Are there ways to decrease this tolerance?

I guess it would be unusual (have never looked into it) to get nothing from Spike Shooter, but I suppose it’s possible. It sounds like that pretty much is what happened for you based on the one trial.

What that would take I think is being relatively insensitive, so far as the CNS is concerned, to yohimbine (unusual but not impossible), to acetyl-L-tyrosine (probably not uncommon), and to caffeine (quite common due to many things that give massive exposure.) So if you’re tolerant to each and every one of these stimulants then it would make sense that it doesn’t seem to do much for you.

The Shooters do nothing for me as well. I’ve actually fallen asleep after drinking it (and other such drinks, by the way). MAYBE a slight energy kick, but I can’t even notice it. Two pills makes me jittery but I do not get energy from them.

And I don’t normally have caffeine at all. I’m just a non-responder to most things.

Yup, this confirms it, I took two tabs before breakfast with no effect at all. =[

I guess Spike was a one hit wonder with me. I’ll be sure to try a few more of the shooters but I’m not getting my hopes up.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
The Shooters do nothing for me as well. I’ve actually fallen asleep after drinking it (and other such drinks, by the way).[/quote]

Ditto. I know how that feels.

oh yeah, man. I need over 600mg of caffeine anhydrous to feel alive. You have to cycle your stimulants. Stack it with something else. A shooter and two tabs maybe?

Or, you can become a fly on the wall in the Brain Function Boosters thread :wink:

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Or, you can become a fly on the wall in the Brain Function Boosters thread ;)[/quote]

I actually followed that thread when it was originally made but lost track of it.

As a non-responder can you attest to any worthwhile brain boosters that work for people like us?

It would save me a lot of time :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Slay the Dragon wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:
Or, you can become a fly on the wall in the Brain Function Boosters thread :wink:

I actually followed that thread when it was originally made but lost track of it.

As a non-responder can you attest to any worthwhile brain boosters that work for people like us?

It would save me a lot of time :P[/quote]

I have yet to try any of them. I don’t have the money right now but have a list of things I’m interested in.

Look up modafinil and vinpocetine and geranamine. Always try them out separately and titrate UP. Do not jump in dosage. Respect your body and CNS.

And with caffeine, don’t forget that just because you can’t “feel” 400 mg or more, does not mean the side effects won’t affect you. I still get jittery with a full can of shooter even though I can pass out no problem after drinking it.

I read a great article on caffeine non-responders. It said something like those people lack a certain phase of caffeine metabolism. I forget the link but it was informative. I’m not sure too many doctors or nutritionists would know, but I’d love for Berardi or Barr or someone to chime in on this phenomenon.

Bill Roberts may know.