T Nation

Spike or Power Drive: Which One Is For Me?

As a quick intro, I am 23 years old, been training for around 5 years, 2 seriously. Along with the other stresses in life, I am also starting a high-pressure new job soon. I will be training in the morning, aruond 6-7AM.

I am trying to find a supplement to help with focus, concentration, energy, mood etc. both for the early training and the rest of the day. I was thinking of trying either Power Drive or Spike. The things I feel drawing me to Spike is that:

1. I will wake up, have something preworkout and train about 45-60 minutes later. That means I will be taking the supp first thing but eating too. I believe Ppwer Drive is far less effective with food, correct?
  2. From what I have read, Power Drive is great for preworkout but Spike is better to use for focus throughout the day (eg. 1 cap in the morning, 1 in the early afternoon).

I will also be using the following supps: Whey protein, fish oil, flax oil, joint supplement, multivit. I am also waiting for the following to arrive which I plan to use preworkout too: ECA stack and Kre-Alkalyn (probably just an E/A stack if I take Spike as it already has C in it).

I was thinking of making my own nootropic stack but things are not readily available here in South Africa so it will end up prohibitively expensive. These would have included Piracetam/Aniracetam, ALCAR, Phenibut, DMAE, Tyrosine, Gingko etc.

Any advice is appreciated,
X

Many people use both.

I don’t think Power Drive is going to do the things you’re asking for. Some people claim that it really revs them up, but I think they are vast minority.

Spike is actually intended to do the sorts of things you’re asking for.

But heck, try them both. However, realize the common case is to take Spike for the increased drive and focus, and Power Drive for CNS recovery after a good workout.

Hi There,

I see you viewpoint. I think that a lot of the energy I am seeking for the early workouts I will get from the Kre-Alkalyn and ECA stack. It’s the mental drive and focus which I will need, both for the training and for the rest of the workday afterward which I would turn to Spike/Power Drive for.

Is there a problem taking Spike with an ECA? I would thus take a capsule of Spike along with the Kre-Alkalyn and ECA preworkout in the morning, and possibly another cap of Spike if required miday for focus and concentration for work.

X

[quote]xenithon wrote:
Hi There,

I see you viewpoint. I think that a lot of the energy I am seeking for the early workouts I will get from the Kre-Alkalyn and ECA stack. It’s the mental drive and focus which I will need, both for the training and for the rest of the workday afterward which I would turn to Spike/Power Drive for.

Is there a problem taking Spike with an ECA? I would thus take a capsule of Spike along with the Kre-Alkalyn and ECA preworkout in the morning, and possibly another cap of Spike if required miday for focus and concentration for work.

X[/quote]

Please don’t combine Spike with an ECA stack. The combo could be overkill and lead to overstimulation.

Try Spike by itself before a workout. If you’re like most users, you won’t want or need the ephedrine.

Remember, though, it won’t give you the same harsh buzz of ephedrine. It’s more subtle, but better.

That sounds paradoxical, but it’s really the case. Spike boost endurance, strength, and attitude. Put those things together and you won’t want to leave the gym.

Right now, I’m taking Spike (2 caps), 45 minutes before my workout. Then about 3-4 hours after my workout I down a serving of Power Drive to enhance CNS recovery. I’m really enjoying this and am finding that I’m constantly sharp and ready; even after the most brutal workouts.

You’re right about the food with Power Drive. Since it contains the amino acid L-Tyrosine, it’s better to take it on an empty stomach so the L-Tyrosine doesn’t have to compete with other amino acids.

I had previously used Power Drive power before my workouts, and honestly I love 'em both.

I’d say given your circumstances, I’d go with Spike before your workouts, sans any ECA stack. Add in Power Drive for CNS recovery if you can.

Hope this helps!

Hey Guys. Thanks for the responses so far!

The thing is I will not be able to afford both. I have to buy them from the local distributor and their prices are very high, but nothing I can do about it. I know a few people who tried to buy it and import it themselves but it got seized at customs each time.

What I am thinking is taking the ECA stack in the morning with the preworkout meal. I will then train, have the PWO shake and PPWO meal. I then have about a 3.5 hour gap to my next meal. I would then have either a serving of Power Drive or a capsule of Spike an hour before that meal (2.5 hours after the PPWO meal). That will be midmorning and will aid the concentration and focus for the rest of the day.

I am thinking that Spike would be the better option for this, right? I assume Power Drive is best for use preworkout.

Cheers,
X

[quote]xenithon wrote:
Hey Guys. Thanks for the responses so far!

The thing is I will not be able to afford both. I have to buy them from the local distributor and their prices are very high, but nothing I can do about it. I know a few people who tried to buy it and import it themselves but it got seized at customs each time.

What I am thinking is taking the ECA stack in the morning with the preworkout meal. I will then train, have the PWO shake and PPWO meal. I then have about a 3.5 hour gap to my next meal. I would then have either a serving of Power Drive or a capsule of Spike an hour before that meal (2.5 hours after the PPWO meal). That will be midmorning and will aid the concentration and focus for the rest of the day.

I am thinking that Spike would be the better option for this, right? I assume Power Drive is best for use preworkout.

Cheers,
X
[/quote]

Try the Spike and work with it for awhile before trying the ECA. At 2 1/5 hours, you will still be “buzzing” on the Ephederine (assuming you take a sizable chunk), do not combine the Spike with it, as TC warns above this could be a rather unpleasant combination/experience. Other than the lack of jitters and shakes, you will find the Spike superior to the ECA.

[quote]xenithon wrote:

Cheers,
X
[/quote]

What didn’t you understand about NOT taking Spike with an ECA stack?

It’s reiterated throughout the Spike FAQ section and was just stated two posts above this one, by the Editor of T-Mag.

Read and inform yourself…

[quote]Gnostic wrote:
What didn’t you understand about NOT taking Spike with an ECA stack?

It’s reiterated throughout the Spike FAQ section and was just stated two posts above this one, by the Editor of T-Mag.
Read and inform yourself…[/quote]

Okay, okay…I thought it was referring to taking them simultaneously, sorry. I guess the 2.5 hours will not be enough as it is an ECA cap with 25mg E, 200mg C, 100mg A.

I will try without the ECA stack as suggested. If I go for Spike then I believe I would take a capsule with the preworkout meal then (where the ECA would have gone). I am not sure if it will be viable (due to price constraints) to take another cap of Spike later in the day, but hopefully that won’t be neccessary anyway.

Cheers,
X

[quote]xenithon wrote:

Okay, okay…I thought it was referring to taking them simultaneously, sorry. I guess the 2.5 hours will not be enough as it is an ECA cap with 25mg E, 200mg C, 100mg A.

I will try without the ECA stack as suggested. If I go for Spike then I believe I would take a capsule with the preworkout meal then (where the ECA would have gone). I am not sure if it will be viable (due to price constraints) to take another cap of Spike later in the day, but hopefully that won’t be neccessary anyway.

Cheers,
X[/quote]

I think that you will like the effects of Spike, relative to what you are looking to accomplish. It’s a very clean/natural buzz of energy, so be cognizant that the feel is definitely different from ephedrine (i.e. no crash, racing heart or brain fog). I really like the enhanced mental accuity that it renders.

Good Luck!