Spike Lee: Clint Eastwood Racist?

[quote]Chewie wrote:
This is some shit.

I recently had the luxury of watching an episode of Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper and it was pathetic. How can they blatantly belittle white people is beyond me. I thought we (as a society) were past this whole racism thing.

Apparently not. This super compensation bullshit is taking us back to the 50’s. Hooray for the apologists! [/quote]

So you think that blacks can be put down for years and years, killed and abused, and then once society stops abusing them expect the pendulum to not swing back the other way? Come on bro!

Do you really expect blacks to just be grateful that they are no longer abused and not hold resentment at all?

I agree that putting down whites does not help relations either, but dude, you need to give blacks and society some time to adjust.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Chewie wrote:
This is some shit.

I recently had the luxury of watching an episode of Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper and it was pathetic. How can they blatantly belittle white people is beyond me. I thought we (as a society) were past this whole racism thing.

Apparently not. This super compensation bullshit is taking us back to the 50’s. Hooray for the apologists!

So you think that blacks can be put down for years and years, killed and abused, and then once society stops abusing them expect the pendulum to not swing back the other way? Come on bro!

Do you really expect blacks to just be grateful that they are no longer abused and not hold resentment at all?

I agree that putting down whites does not help relations either, but dude, you need to give blacks and society some time to adjust.

[/quote]Those generations have already past. The only reason for the hate towards whites is because they can get a way with it.

Abused, huh? The blacks had no Trail of Tears. They had no holocaust. Yes, there was civil rights issues but I’m pretty sure those issues pale in comparison with what he Israelites deal with.

I see what they went through was similar to what the indentured servants dealt with.

I just keep thinking of that Family Guy episode when they make fun of Spike Lee’s movies. They just have some white deli guy salivating all over the place making horrible noises. I can’t find it on youtube but if anyone can find it make sure to post it.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Lorisco wrote:
Chewie wrote:
This is some shit.

Apparently not. This super compensation bullshit is taking us back to the 50’s. Hooray for the apologists!

Those generations have already past. The only reason for the hate towards whites is because they can get a way with it.

Abused, huh? The blacks had no Trail of Tears. They had no holocaust. Yes, there was civil rights issues but I’m pretty sure those issues pale in comparison with what he Israelites deal with.

I see what they went through was similar to what the indentured servants dealt with.

[/quote]

So slavery doesn’t count I take it?

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:

So slavery doesn’t count I take it?[/quote]

I may be alone in this, but I feel that victims of genocide have had it far worse than those of slavery.

Why must our society be an apologist society when none of us were alive during the slavery period?

My point: continuing to draw racial boundaries by any means is racism in and of itself .

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

I may be alone in this, but I feel that victims of genocide have had it far worse than those of slavery.

Why must our society be an apologist society when none of us were alive during the slavery period?

My point: continuing to draw racial boundaries by any means is racism in and of itself .[/quote]

Slavery was genocide.Just do some quick reading in regard to mortality rates during the whole process,from capture,to in transit,to distribution.

And there is a vast difference between acknowledgement and apology.

Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

My point: continuing to draw racial boundaries by any means is racism in and of itself .

Slavery was genocide.Just do some quick reading in regard to mortality rates during the whole process,from capture,to in transit,to distribution.

And there is a vast difference between acknowledgement and apology.[/quote]

Then why, exactly, are we acknowledging it only for blacks? Isn’t that racist?

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

Then why, exactly, are we acknowledging it only for blacks? Isn’t that racist? [/quote]

Slavery in any situation is a deplorable business.In an American context ,the majority of the burden of having been enslaved fell on Africans.

Is this something you really want to argue?

Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

Slavery in any situation is a deplorable business.In an American context ,the majority of the burden of having been enslaved fell on Africans.

Is this something you really want to argue?[/quote]

I agree that it is deplorable and in your post, you are supporting my argument. Why so we (as a society) keep lingering on this?

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

I agree that it is deplorable and in your post, you are supporting my argument. Why so we (as a society) keep lingering on this?
[/quote]

You must have missed my bit about “In an American context”.

Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

You must have missed my bit about “In an American context”.[/quote]

That is because I am having a foreigner telling me about American life.

Besides, that was over 100 years ago. Why are we holding on?

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

I may be alone in this, but I feel that victims of genocide have had it far worse than those of slavery.[/quote]

It sounds like you might be alone. The ‘huh’ in your previous post sounded incredibly dismissive.

You are right about one thing though; African slaves didn’t have a Trail of Tears. They ‘just’ had the Atlantic crossing…

[quote]red bull wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

It sounds like you might be alone. The ‘huh’ in your previous post sounded incredibly dismissive.

You are right about one thing though; African slaves didn’t have a Trail of Tears. They ‘just’ had the Atlantic crossing…

[/quote]True.

You are missing the point, though. They weren’t killed for the point of being killed like others have been (there have, but not in such a large of a scale). Don’t you think by lingering on about this issue, we prolong it?

[quote]red bull wrote:
Chewie wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

[/quote]

Might I also add that the indentured servants also had an Atlantic crossing?

IMO…If you werent a slave or owned a slave STFU. The only way to deal with racism is to start fresh right now and punish those who are CURRENTLY acting racist and quit pointing to people who weren’t even fucking alive during slavery.

I do understand, as ProX will shortly point out, that blacks have been set back due to slavery/racism, and I don’t really know how we should handle that; But I am positive that blaming today’s “white generation” isn’t the answer.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
He is such a tool. He complains about Clint making an all white movie (except those pesky Japanese) and then turns around a makes a movie about an all black Army division.

The man is shameless.[/quote]

He’s a fool.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
In reality anyone complaining about Eastwood only need look to other movies and of course television. Black people are well represented in each genere. In fact one could argue that since blacks make up only 12% of the total population they are over represented.

But, they were under represented for so long no one should complain. The point being to take one movie or one TV show and say that there should be black people in the show is idiotic.

[/quote]

Since blacks are only 12% of our nation, the NBA,NFL,MLB, and the NHL have a lot of balancing to do.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I think Clint would have put black soldiers in the movie if they had fought that particular battle but in WW2 the Army was greatly segregated.

An all white WW2 movie should not be viewed as racist.[/quote](That depends)[quote] An all white Vietnam movie would be.

I think Tuskegee Airman is a great movie because it is based on reality and is well done.[/quote](Except for some techical innacuracies concerning aircraft in that one)[quote]

Sticking a token black guy in Clint’s movie would be probably be inaccurate and patronizing.[/quote]

Zap, let me reinterate, my position is “when they could be” based on the historical record, which is why I exampled the crossing, battle of the bulge (Patton pic), etc (Note attached pic of Real FF Legionaires WW1 era)…Putting them in under historically innacurate circumstances defeats the purpose and is counter-productive I think you would agree(!)

How many know that the first American soldiers decorated for combat action in WW1 were 2 Black guys, given the french war cross for valor after wiping out a superior numbered enemy force?. Never been a movie made about these guys though, “when it could have been”…

[quote]red bull wrote:
Blacksnake wrote:
Black troopers are not shown “when they could be”, perpetrating the image they did not participate to future generations…

I think you sum it up well. I’m not in fits of outrage over this either. And yet I still believe ‘representation’ is a lot more important than some folk think…

Like you said, black troops being shown “when they could be”… really, it aint so hard. It certainly isn’t a lot to ask for in my book…

In that fairly subdued manner, I would say that similarily, yes - it “would have been nice” if Flags/Iwo had done the same…[/quote]

Thanks for keeping an open mind on this…I was not specifically pointing to the Clint film, but if we stick to the historical record, from my knowledge, the Black Marines on Iwo were mainly confined to stevedore duties, medical assistant and corpse retrieval/burial details (a job that draws enemy fire). I’ll leave the rest to the imagination of any armchair directors out there…