T Nation

Spike, Caffeine, and Sleep?

I have constant trouble sleeping. It takes me an hour often to fall asleep. And that’s despite me taking GABA before I go to sleep. It used to be less a problem, but now I try to always get a solid 8 hours and I’ll admit I’m somewhat stressed and with mood swings that probably is partly responsible, but my therapist suggested that it could be the 300mg of caffeine in Spike that I take each day before lifting. Apparently caffeine increases stress levels and stimulates you much longer than originally thought.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on this? Do you think he’s right? Is the caffeine-free Spike as good? Any other things you’d suggest instead to boost energy and focus before a workout, especially on days when I’m tired?

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
I have constant trouble sleeping. It takes me an hour often to fall asleep. And that’s despite me taking GABA before I go to sleep. It used to be less a problem, but now I try to always get a solid 8 hours and I’ll admit I’m somewhat stressed and with mood swings that probably is partly responsible, but my therapist suggested that it could be the 300mg of caffeine in Spike that I take each day before lifting. Apparently caffeine increases stress levels and stimulates you much longer than originally thought.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on this? Do you think he’s right? Is the caffeine-free Spike as good? Any other things you’d suggest instead to boost energy and focus before a workout, especially on days when I’m tired?
[/quote]

Two questions:
When do you take your Spike? It lasts way longer than caffeine.

Have you had a deloading/easy week in the gym lately?

While I was on the velocity diet and taking HOT-ROX, I would have severe difficulty getting to sleep.

Down 15ml of NyQuil, wait a half hour to work, and I’m up 8 hours later. And chipper too.

I have pretty good results on the Caff-free Spike, but I’m only a few weeks into my trial. I was a very good responder to 2 servings of the standard Spike pre-workout, and I’m having similar success with the Caff-free version now as well.

FWIW, I have a hard time sleeping when taking Spike, even in the morning prior to workouts, and while the Caff-free version is a little more forgiving in the sleep dept, I still feel like I have energy at night when I need to be winding down.

Funny story, I have a buddy who’s a chronic insomniac, and I gave him two regular Spikes pre workout one day (this was in the early evening by the way), and while the workout was great for him, he seriously didn’t sleep for 3 straight days!

[quote]TheBlade wrote:
[/quote]

He could very well be. If you’re taking it in the afternoon, he probably is. It depends on how sensitive you are to stimulants. I know a guy who cannot eat chocolate chip cookies because of the caffeine in the chocolate.

Me on the other hand, can drink 7 Spike shooters in a day and not end in the hospital like those little high school punks… kidding, Biotest, kidding. You might as well give caff-free Spike a shot, see how that works. If it does, PM me and you can send me your leftover shooters. :wink:

If you normally have trouble sleeping, you might want to get that looked into further, as well.

You’ll still get a boost with Caffeine-Free Spike. I’d say give it a solid go.

And like what was said above, everyone reacts differently to stims.

Whoops, I forgot to mention that Power Drive would be another option.

Caffeine has a half-life of 10 hours.
Why dont you lose the Spike for a week and see how things go? Your sleep is more important than any benefit you are getting from the caffeine.

etaco,
I take it before my workout. Sometimes that’s noon. Sometimes as late as 6pm. I always go to bed at 2.

I had an easy three weeks late december to early jan. A week off is coming in two weeks (though by week off I mean a mountaineering expedition)

Otep,
NyQuil, ugh…could there be side effects from daily use of that?

Dominator,
Damn. Definitely sounds like caffeine has a longer effect than originally thought.

rrjc,
OK. I’ll get some Caffeine-Free Spike as soon as my next pay check comes in

yeah, the trouble sleeping thing is probably partly the Spike partly stress.

Rise Anew,
Yeah I just noticed it among products recently. Seems like good stuff. I currently take something similar but with a bit less of the compounds, and less quantity

entheogens,
yeah, I was thinking about taking a break from it, but wanted to see if the idea had any justification from you guys

(btw, nice name, you a ayahuasca/salvia voyager? if you don’t know what I’m talking about ignore it)