Squat

bar x quite a few
60kg x 8
80kg x 5
100kg x 5

110kg x 5
125kg x 5
137.5kg x 12

Awesome start to the session, last couple were a little good morning-esque but Im pretty sure this is a record.

Decline Bench

Bar x lots
50kg x 8

70kg x 5
80kg x 5
87.5kg x 10

Squats took a lot out of me so it was not as good as it could have been but it was good enough.

T-Bar Row

bar 20kg x 10
bar 40kg x 10
bar 50kg - 12,11,10

Solid bit of back work gonna up the weight next time.

Conditioning

Cycle Sprints

20 secs ON / 1 min REST - sprints at level 10 (it think) - 6 rounds.

Not much to report but good stuff.

Overall

Second session and pretty solid.

Thursday

Nothing - was travelling

Friday

Quick blast in the morning in the hotel room.

15 mins

On the minute every minute -

20 squats
10 feet elevated push ups
10 band pulls

Certainly got me warm and moving first thing.

Saturday

Was away for a couple of days with 17-18 hours of sitting in a car over 2 days…so it wasnt going to be perfect.

Workout

Squat

Bar x lots
50kg x 8

90kg x 3 x 8

okay warm up, core felt a little week, sitting down that long will do that to you. Shoulder felt a bit strained as well.

Press

bar x lots
30kg x 5
40kg x 5
50kg x 5

55kg x 5
60kg x 5
65kg x 6 4 4

Shoulder was playing up a bit (maybe from the incline push ups) wasnt feeling too strong. Will see how the next session pans out then may adjust working weights if necessary.

Rack Pulls

Bar x a few
60kg x 8
100kg x 8
140kg x 8,8,10,10

Not exactly sure why I decided to do this above Rows, just felt I needed something a little heavier.

Conditioning

Elliptical sprints -

20 secs ON / Some rest

Took me a while to find a good working range and time so didnt really monitor it. Was a bit of a pain to be honest so probably wont bother again.

Overall

Not great but considering the circumstances I’ll let it slide, will hope for a better session next week.

Sunday

Just some work to get the blood flowing and loosen up.

Ab wheel
Pull ups
Squats
Press ups
Lots of stretching.

21-11-11

Lacking sleep as of late, having moved in with my girlfirend a month ago we both havent had a decent night sleep. Im waking up at least 4 times a night at the mo.

Workout

Squats

bar x some
60kg x 8
90kg x 6
110kg x 3 x 6

Felt good, not that speedy but lower back wasnt stressed at all.

Deadlift

60kg x some
100kg x 5

130kg x 3
150kg x 3
170kg x 8

Last one was a little bit of a grinder but it was pretty good work, think thats a record, not sure though. Threw 130kg on the bar for some double overhand holds as my grip sucks did a few rounds of 10 seconds ish.

DB Bench press

25kg DBs x some
32.5kg DBs x some

37.5kg x 11,9,7

40s were being used so I had to go a little lighter, these still feel a bit crap but hopefully I’ll get used to it.

Conditioning

On the minute every minute 5 1-arm DB snatches with 37.5kg DB x 10 rounds

Couldnt be bothered to cycle today so did this, was more fun.

Overall

Not a bad session, intensity wasnt great I know its sleep that im lacking at the moment…ah well.

22-11-11

Was away travelling (again) but managed to do some work in my hotel room.

20 burpees - 5 rounds, rest was long enough to recover.

50,40,30,20,10 - Push ups
Alternated with:
10,20,30,40,50 - Squats

Some sets were broken (mostly on the press ups)

Got the heart rate up and sweat on so was alright.

23-11-11

Still travelling and flight was rerouted on the way back so didnt have time to do anything.

24-11-11

Wasnt too sure about this session going in given the travelling and lack of sleep but I thought id go for it anyway.

Squats

Goblet squats x loads (have been doing these, just havent mentioned it)
bar x a few
60kg x 8
90kg x 5
105kg x 3

115kg x 3
130kg x 3
145kg x 10

Solid start and a good record for me. Last rep was a little good morning esque but the form felt good through out the set, probably could have done more if Id have let the form get a bit looser.

Decline bench

Bar x lots
40kg x some
60kg x 5

72.5kg x 3
82.5kg x 3
92.5kg x 9

Again solid! upper back felt tight, got good drive probably had 1 more in me so very happy.

T-bar row

Bar x some
20kg x some
40kg x 5
55kg x 11,10,10

got my 10s in all sets so weight up next week.

Conditioning

Thought about rowing but changed my mind (not necessarily a good idea)

1 round =

5 neutral chins
10 press ups
15 Squats

Workout was 1 round on the minute every minute for 20 mins (might have done 21.) Wanted to quit half way but carried on, it was tough but good to do.

Overall

Depsite some less than stellar factors outside the gym this was a great session with some good results. Lets hope it keeps up.

25-11-11

Squats, push ups, pull ups, ab rolls and stretching - felt good.

26-11-11

Workout

Squats

bar x some
50kg x some
70kg x 5
90kg x 3 x 9

All easy with good work from the hips.

Press

bar x some
30kg x 8
40kg x 5

55kg x 3
62.5kg x 3
70kg x 5 3x3

Think morning sessions are not my best friend 5 was alright (last one was a bit of a grinder) so I did 3x3 and they felt pretty good

Sumo pin pulls

60kg x some
100kg x some
120kg x triples
140kg x triples (a few)
160kg x doubles (2-3)

All double overhand to work the grip. Dropped the weight to 140kg and did some 3’s,4’s and 5’s alternated with

Log one motions

Log x some
Log 20kg x 1 triple
log 40kg x loads of triples

Certainly showed how long its been since I done these, wasnt feeling particularly explosive but didnt fail at all.

Overall

So so session, nothing great.

27-11-11

Busy all day in London and with dance practice got a good three hours of walking in though so all good. Also fasted from the previous dinner till dinner today. Felt fine, if I want to IF this maybe the better way of doing it for me.

28-11-11

Best nights sleep in a long time last night so felt “on it” most of the day.

Squats

Goblet squat x some
Bar x some
50kg x 8
80kg x 5
110kg x 3 x 7

some of my best squatting form wise I’ve ever done, depth felt great core was pretty strong and a video showed no back rounding whatsoever. Great start.

Deadlift

60kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 5

140kg x 5
160kg x 3
180kg x 6

Sweet new PR think I probably had one dodgy grinder left in me but the rest felt really good.

Flat DB Bench

20kg DBs x some
30kg DBs x 8
40kg DBs x 10,8,7

Still a little wobbly but an improvement numbers wise nonetheless.

Standing Cable Crunch

30kg x some
45kg x some
60kg x 9,8,7

Was early to the gym so decided to put some heavy(ish) abs in.

Conditioning - Rowing

20secs ON / 1 min Rest - 7 rounds

Except for the first one @ 108m I got between 110 and 114 meters per round, tough but good.

Overall

Great start to the final week of this cycle, lets hope I hit some big numbers on wednesday and friday.

Side Note : 5x12 on the ab wheel when I got home.

29/11/11

Nada - had a sports massage and then went to the cinema. Therapist noted my right lower back and my left shoulder was tight. Will have to keep an eye on it.

30/11/11

Felt alright going into the session not full of beans but okay.

Squat

Goblet squats x lots
bar x some
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
110kg x 3

125kg x 5
140kg x 3 (felt a little slow)
155kg x 6…RIP!!!

Damn it!!! - went down for rep 7 and tore the back seem of my shorts!!! Put me right off so I dumped the bar. Had I had my music I possibly wouldnt have noticed but I heard and felt it go so I lost it. Had the 7th in me though, 8 would have been a big grinder. Ah well no worries.

Decline Bench

Bar x some
50kg x some
70kg x 5

80kg x 5
90kg x 3
100kg x 6

Plan called for 97.5kg but I was working with some one so couldnt be bothered to strip the bar. A very solid 6 with a possible 7th in me.

T-Bar Row

bar x some
20kg x some
40kg x some
60kg x 10,10,9

Almost had it on set 3 - not to worry will keep 60kg next time.

Conditioning

Cycle Sprint Intervals - 20 secs on (@lvl 12-13) / some rest

Didnt time the rest on this occassion, just did quite a few sprints up to 15 minutes total time. Think it probably was between 7-9. Legs felt like Jelly Afterwards.

Overall

Not a bad result to finish off the Squat and bench for the cycle. I’ll be looking for 7 @ 160kg next cycle. Planned bench weight will be the same so I think I’ll keep with it and get a rep or two more.

Side Note

Ab Wheel @ home - 5 x 12 1 x 10 - Abs brutalised.

Still doing lots and lots of pull ups.

01-12-11

Usual home workout - Squats, pull ups, press ups, ab wheel and stretches

02-12-22

Last session of the cycle and felt alright going into it.

Squat

goblet squat x lots
60kg x some
90kg x 3 x 10

All easy, squatting is feeling great at the moment, mobility around the hips is excellent.

Press

bar x lots
40kg x lots

52.5kg x 5
62.5kg x 3
72.5kg x 4

Not a bad finish to a cycle thats been fairly odd. I will increase the weight next time and see how I get on, Kinda need to see a marked improvement in the 5 and 3 week otherwise dropping the weight might be necessary.

Rack pulls

60kg x some
100kg x some
140kg x 3 x 5

All double overhand, grip feeling a little stronger, need to work on it.

Snatch grip RDL

100kg x 10
120kg x 10

Just thought Id give it a go. Felt pretty good, also just chucked in a set of snatch grip deads @ 120kg x 5, my hip mobility is allowing me to do these properly

Conditioning

40kg DB snatches sets of 5, did about 15mins or so didnt count the sets this time.

Overall

Fairly solid finish, now for the deload.

03-12-11

Home workout same as usual, good stuff

Cycle Results

Squat

137.5kg x 12
145kg x 10
155kg x 6

Deadlift

160kg x 10
170kg x 8
180kg x 6

Bench

87.5kg x 10
92.5kg x 9
100kg x 6

Press

65kg x 6
70kg x 5
72.5kg x 4

Overall

Not a bad base line lets see how cycle two gets on.

Saturday

Usual home workout. Squats, press ups, ab wheel, pull ups and stretching. Late night friday night.

Saturday night - Team performance in weston-super-mare, did a cabaret of both our routines. It went well despite the music skipping part way through the second routine, it threw everyone out for 10 counts or so but we bought it back. Late night again.

Sunday

Rest Day - Did loads of furniture moving for my step sister, up and down the stairs for hours, lifting couches and dismantling furniture. Fasted till dinner, was fine.

05-12-11 - Deload week

Felt ropey today, poor eating and lack of sleep left me with a runny nose and I think on the verge of getting a cold. Will sort it out though with food and vitamins (maybe sleep)

Squats

Goblet squats x some
bar x lots
60kg x 8
90kg x 5
110kg x 21, 8, 10

After a bit of banter got challenged by a guy at the gym for a 20 repper on 110kg (no belt) I just had to beat him by one. Think I could have gone for at least 25 maybe 30 if I’d have pushed it

Snatch grip deads

60kg x 3
100kg x 3
130kg x 5 x 3

5 triples, felt pretty good, really focused on keeping the upperback tight.

Dips alternated with Chins/pull ups

Didnt count, did about 15-20 mins worth. good pump though

Conditoning

Rowing - 20 secs ON / 1 min rest - 8 rounds

not quite as balls out as usual but was good work.

Overall

Pretty good considering how I was feeling earlier, not sure what im going to do wednesday and friday but I’ll make something up.

06-12-11

Dont know why but decided to hit up the gym again today.

Front squat

bar x some
60kg x 3
100kg x 3
110kg x a few triples
120kg x a few singles
100kg x 3

not too heavy (although it did feel like it) think it was mostly due to the fact that i was going a lot deeper (I hate the term ATG) than usual. Was toughest for the upper back.

Rack pulls - double over grip

60kg x some
100kg x 3
140kg x 3
150kg x lots of singles
180kg x 1 (mixed grip)
200kg x 1 (mixed grip)
140kg x 4

140kg was easy but surprising how much 10 more kg challenges the grip. the mixed ones were a little ego boost, no belt used but they were easy.

Dips alternated with Body Rows

didnt count the sets but did about 20 mins worth. body rows surprisingly difficult, but shows how much i’ve been neglecting my rhomboids and read delts. Will be working on this

Ab wheel

5 x 13 (at home)

Overall

not a bad session, but has highlighted some weak points that i’ll need to address

07/12/11

Squat

Goblet squat x some
60kg x some
90kg x some
120kg x 2 x 10 (1 unbelted, one belted)

Thought about doing another set but my back wasnt feeling too great. Think I smashed my glutes, hams and core too much in the last two days and my back wasnt getting the support it should.

Hammer strenght incline press alternated with Back raises

Token work up +30kg a side x 6

Back was aching so I decided it was best not to continue/

Conditioing

Smashing my legs wouldnt have been a great idea so I did 35 mins walking on the treadmill 3% incline 6-6.5 km/h.

Overall

Back seized up a bit last night, loosened up somewhat this morning. Glutes feel pretty smashed. Think Im going to take the rest of the week off the gym in preparation for the new cycle on monday, think I pushed the volume a little much on monday and tuesday.

Still gonna do some home workouts though, need to get some blood flowing to the hips.

08-12-11

Back feeling better but still a little tight. So just stretching, pull ups, squats and push ups

09-12-11

Christmas party tonight so I thought Id better do something. Decided against the gym to give my lower back a few more days off of loading (will save that for monday for the new cycle.) So did the crossfit WOD Chelsea

5 Pull ups
10 Push ups
15 Squats

On the minute, every minute for 30 rounds

Not as brutal as last time but still a tough one. Really do like(???) this WOD.

10-12-11

Nada - was out all day. Made this my fasting day this week. Nothing to eat from Friday night to Saturday night.

11-12-11

Did Chelsea again, little bit tougher than last time but got throught it all. 5 hours of dance practice later on as well.

12-12-11

Back went again last night during the warm up squats. Happened on rep 4 @ 90kg, just felt like my back gave, hips shifted and something got strained. Went home iced it, getting it looked at today.

Gonna be a disappointing end to the year.