Spicing Up Food

I’m currently on a cutting diet, eating alot of whole foods. It’s been going pretty well so far, I’ve lost about 8 pounds in a little under 3 weeks.

When I began, all that chicken and eggs were great. I couldn’t wait 2 hours to eat some. Now, I don’t really feel like eating another chicken breast or 5 eggs… They taste bland. Kinda becoming a drag. The pepper and salt aren’t really doing it for me anymore.

So… Anyone know how to spice up chicken and eggs? How to make them taste a little special?

(I know I know I should man up and “just fucking eat” but why not make it taste better and actually enjoy it?)

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
I’m currently on a cutting diet, eating alot of whole foods. It’s been going pretty well so far, I’ve lost about 8 pounds in a little under 3 weeks.

When I began, all that chicken and eggs were great. I couldn’t wait 2 hours to eat some. Now, I don’t really feel like eating another chicken breast or 5 eggs… They taste bland. Kinda becoming a drag. The pepper and salt aren’t really doing it for me anymore.

So… Anyone know how to spice up chicken and eggs? How to make them taste a little special?

(I know I know I should man up and “just fucking eat” but why not make it taste better and actually enjoy it?)[/quote]

Well, this will likely sound a bit odd but trust me when I say cinnamon and splenda on top of eggs is great (and as an added bonus cinnamon improves insulin sensitivity). For the chicken I like Jane’s blackened seasoning salt. lemon pepper is also good as is fresh garlic and unsweetened coconut shavings with a bit of coconut oil.

Nah man…I know its supposedly “hardcore” to eat plain chicken breast and scarf back plain oats like a racehorse…but screw it…if you can make your “cutting” food taste good then why the hell not?

You didn’t mention how strict your cutting diet was. Are you on extremely low carbs, or just reduced? Keep in mind that you have to be very careful with some sauces…lots of hidden carbs. Use sparingly

Some things I use for chicken:
1.) Satay sauce: Think this is Indonesian or Malaysian? Its basically a spicy peanut/coconut sauce. Keep in mind that this will add some fat to your meal. The kind I buy is quite low in carbs.

2.) Teriyaki Sauce: This one is high in carbs, so be very careful. I use a brush to apply a thin layer to my chicken prior to cooking. Makes a huge difference for a nominal amount of carbs

3.) Yuzu sauce/Cooking sake: Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit. They make a thin sauce with very low calories that tastes great. You can buy it in the states. A dash of cooking sake is great too.

Eggs:

1.) Soy sauce.

2.) Habenero pepper sauce: Just a couple drops will add a lot of spiciness.

For eggs, I stand by Bacon Salt. Some stores are starting to carry it, but you can always get it online here:

http://store.baconsalt.com/

Edit: It’s great on ground beef or burgers, too.

Sambal is a good option as a stand alone condiment. You should also look at some curry recipes or mixes.

Rub your meat.

(with spices)

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
For eggs, I stand by Bacon Salt. Some stores are starting to carry it, but you can always get it online here:

http://store.baconsalt.com/ [/quote]

AMAZING. I love science. I’m going to order that ASAP.

If you’re into hot sauce, look for anything by Huy Fong Foods. Just don’t use too much or you won’t have a nice exit experience…

The best is their Sriracha sauce, or as I like to call it… cock sauce.

At walmart you can get bags of frozen onions and green/yellow/red peppers, and fully cooked smoked pork chops.

Saute the veggies in a pan, then add in your eggs and the pork chop, and scramble the eggs while the pork chop just gets really hot. The eggs will take on the taste of the pork and saute’d veggies are awesome. It’s a great combo.

As far as chicken, pick a salad dressing that fits your diet, and marinade that shit.

I get a full-fat italian dressing and a bag of frozen chicken breasts. I put the frozen chicken breasts into a gallon sized ziplock bag because the bag that frozen chicken breasts comes in (ALL of them) leak. I then pour in the salad dressing, and let the chicken thaw in the refrigerator in the dressing for 3 days (usually takes 3 days to be completely thawed), then bake or grill. Nom nom nom.

ALSO, if you go into the seasoning aisle in walmart or whathaveyou, go near where the bags of powdered gravy mix. There is a series of powders that McCormick makes for a crock pot that have like 3 or 4 ingredients, tops. My absolutely favorite is “Italian Herb Chicken”, and that shit smells like a pizza while it’s cooking. I make 5 breasts with that, twice a week. Minimal carbs, as you don’t really eat all the “liquid” it makes. I do eat the tomatoes it includes, but that’s just me. I too am low carb.

Cayenne pepper works best for eggs.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:

http://store.baconsalt.com/

Edit: It’s great on ground beef or burgers, too.[/quote]

Thanks, I’m going to order some bacon salt too! FYI they have a spot to enter promotional codes on their order form, and I just found one-

For the next week and a half, using the promo code “twitter” will get you $2 off your order. :smiley:

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:

(I know I know I should man up and “just fucking eat” but why not make it taste better and actually enjoy it?)[/quote]

Check this out:

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2144267

Any one of those ‘spice’ schemes will work with chicken.

This morning I had a 4 egg, romano and goat cheese omelette-- I added parsley, fresh chives, garlic powder, and coarse black pepper as well.

Also, try making egg salad, but instead of mayo, use something like “Marie’s Creamy Italian Dip”-- which is just mayo with garlic and spices.

ah yes i love tabasco too

but it costs $5 for a 50 ml bottle and because of my spicy food tolerance i can go through one of those bottles in under a week

so it’s just salt and tomato paste for me :frowning:

Curry or chili powder always works great for me, but it depends on what kind of dish I’m trying to make. For chicken I always use crushed red peppers and chili powder.

But if you want a Mediterranean flavor try balsamic vinegar and garlic salt. You can also buy pre-diced garlic, its only a little different from fresh garlic. When you use it though, always fry it before your eggs.