T Nation

Speeding Tickets?

So yesterday at around 9 PM I got fucked doing “67 in a 40mph zone”. I didn’t have my license on me so the ticket went up $50 totalling $270.

Now, I work for minimum wage and will be a college student next year. I don’t have that kind of money, especially to pay for the insurance.

Some more details, the cop said I was “clocked at 66” but the ticket does not say clocked, the box next to clocked is unchecked. Instead it says radar estimate, and instead 67mph. Of course this is fucking bullshit because there is no way I was going above 60, I was looking at my speedometer.

So, how do I weasel my way out of paying for it? Does overpaying by $1 work to keep it off your record?

Any help/abusive comments are welcome.

Find someone in city hall and see if you can get it reduced to a non moving violation. It won’t save you any on the ticket but it will save you the thousand or so bucks your insurance will go up for being a young male speeder.

Going sixty in a forty in a college town which us usually full of cops is pretty stupid. They bust you for 10 mph over the limit or less. Lots of pedestrians and no way you can stop in time 20 mph over the limit.

Better luck next time.

You HAVE TO challenege the ticket. The courts are all about the money so they’ll surely move it down to a violation of some sort and overcharge you for it. Bringing in your license that day will kill that half of the ticket, and then they’ll make the speeding ticket something minor and charge you for it. It won’t go on your record, but you’re gonna have to pay.

Making sure I beat the self righteous people to the punch.

Ahem, you are a selfish little weasel who has obviously never had an ounce of responsibility in your life. You broke the law, now pay the consequences and quit trying to cheat your way through life. You make me sick. Take it in the chin like a man, and then say “YES SIR I WOULD LIKE SOME MORE!”

Now that I got that out of the way, best of luck to you. My court date is one month away and I am attempting the same thing as you :slight_smile:

Don’t go 20 miles over the speed limit. It doesn’t make you cool, tough, or manly. Only fighting does that.

[quote]masse wrote:

Does overpaying by $1 work to keep it off your record?

[/quote]

No, that won’t work. Check online to see what programs are available in your state to keep the ticket off of your record. Just follow the instructions on the ticket for pleading not-guilty. You’ll probably talk to someone to set up a court date, and they’ll cut you a deal if your record is good. Otherwise, set the court date, and hope the officer doesn’t show. It’s pretty darn hard to win a speeding case otherwise, as a police officer’s testimony automatically overshadows yours.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:

Check online to see what programs are available in your state to keep the ticket off of your record. Just follow the instructions on the ticket for pleading not-guilty. You’ll probably talk to someone to set up a court date, and they’ll cut you a deal if your record is good. [/quote]

This is good advice. Mississippi, for instance, allows 1st offenders to attend driving school (you have to ask though). They will also sometimes allow driving school for the 2nd or 3rd offense if it’s been more than 2 years since the last violation. Daughter was beneficiary of this after getting a ticket for going 89 in a 55… no lie!

Hopefully you can take advantage of something like this. It keeps the ticket off of your record (no insurance penalty).

Plead not guilty. Show up to court. Talk to DA. Tell him your side of the story. He will likely offer you a reduced fine and lesser violation to get you to plead guilty.

Be repectful and dress well.

Good luck.

First, they need to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. Unfortunately in traffic court you are guily until proven innocent, but the burden of proof is still there.

If you know for a fact that your speedodometer said 60MPH, not 67MPH or whatever, then your speedodometer is wrong. Take the car and get the speedodometer calibrated. I know in my area we have emissions tests and they are done under pressure, so nearly every gas station that does emissions also does speedodometer calibrations.

The calibration will cost you anywhere from $20- $50 bucks. Find someplace that will do it, and if you have access to, or feel really sneaky you can swap the rims/tires for smaller ones, and throw more of a curve in the test.

With the calibration, you shed reasonable doubt that you actually knew you were going that fast. The lower your speedodometer says at 67 (since thats what is on the ticket) the lower you can argue in court that you did not know you were going that fast.

Whatever you do, go to court. Dont be afraid of going, and try not to be scared when you are there. Plead not guilty to both charges. Show your license and explain why you did not have it. If you get the speedodometer calibrated, show that and explain you thought you were going slower.

Try to talk to the officer before court begins. Ask him what he plans to do. They are very willing to talk with you and work out plea’s. I dont imagine the commonwealth, or district attorney will argue the case, but they might. The officer will tell you if thats the case.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot guys. I was coming home from my girlfriend’s house so I left it there.

I was helping her with a physics lab. No lie, I wasn’t even getting any this time!

Shaved, your comment cracked me up.

i don’t think paying the fine and not having it on your record is at all an option in mass.

try and contact this guy : http://www.mass-traffic-ticket.com/

I can’t speak for all courts but in mine the judge gives everyone a chance to plead no contest, pay the fine, and recieve no points. Plus you can take the chance the cop won’t show up for court…case dismissed.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:

With the calibration, you shed reasonable doubt that you actually knew you were going that fast. The lower your speedodometer says at 67 (since thats what is on the ticket) the lower you can argue in court that you did not know you were going that fast.

[/quote]

That’s not a valid defense - if you kill an intruder in your house because you thought it was legal, you still will go to jail if it’s not allowed in your state.

It’s pretty hard to play a lawyer - about the only thing you should do is ask for a dismissal if the officer doesn’t show up and the prosecutor keeps going with the case. You’d think the case would be over if the only witness doesn’t show, but those lawyering types are tricky - just going to show you that you should take whatever deal you can get.

I have personally gotten off several speeding tickets with a speedodometer calibration.

Here is the specific statute concerning speedometer calibratons in my state. It is not out of the ordinary to say you did not know you were going that fast because your speedometer said you were traveling slower.

I recall something as acting in “good faith,” as a means to a defense. Just as “duress and consent” is a defense.

? 46.2-942. Admissibility of results of speedometer test in prosecution for exceeding speed limit.

In the trial of any person charged with exceeding any maximum speed limit in the Commonwealth, the court shall receive as evidence a sworn report of the results of a calibration test of the accuracy of the speedometer in the motor vehicle operated by the defendant or the arresting officer at the time of the alleged offense. The report shall be considered by the court or jury in both determining guilt or innocence and in fixing punishment.

not sure about Mass, but in RI we have a good driving record law that basically gives you a one time ‘get out of shit free’ pass. As long as you haven’t had any moving violations in the last 3 years you can go to court, plead good driving record, and the ticket is waived, you just pay the court fee. No fine and no insurance hikes. Only works once every 3 years though. You might want to check and see if Mass has something like this.

Also, to whoever said “don’t drive 20 over, it doesn’t make you cool… blah blah blah” I believe you are from california so you might not understand how the concept of speed limits work in the north east. Whereas in most the country, the speed limit on a road is based on a reasonable speed to travel on said road, in the northeast this isn’t the case. Our speed limits are based on strange old laws written for carriages and horse drawn buggies and have for some reason never been updated. Also, the police in most the country use the speed limit as a basis for judging whether or not you were speeding (as is sensible).

However, in New England, the police are usually only slightly more likely to know the speed limit than you are and in fact seem to rely on a combination of random chance, personal prejudice, and the occult as means for determining which cars get pulled over.

My point is, in many cases, 20 over is only just barely speeding, if at all. Most cops I know won’t even look at you funny for anything less than 15 over. I know it doesn’t make sense to people not from around here, or who at least haven’t driven around here, but it really is the case. Just sorta the way things are done I guess.

Go here:
http://www.tipmra.com/

Pay for the info, it’s worth it. Study everything this guy (Roland) tells you to do. Create your own flowcharts, to help you through the thick of the battle. Because you’re going to have to take it to the formal hearing. You’re going to have to play lawyer. And you can do it!

I pulled it off when I was 23. Not only did I win, but I made the cop and the prosecuter look like blasted fools.

After the cop had failed to present the radar logs (oopsie daisy!), I decided to have a little fun:
“And why, then, Officer X, does your department have you keep those radar testing logs, if not to present them in court when requested by the defense?”

Apparantly, “I don’t know” wasn’t the right answer. He glared at the prosecutor, who was supposed to have his back. The judge laughed at them and I won. And so my opponents hung their heads in the shame they’d earned.

http://www.tipmra.com

Be the lawyer. So satisfying.

I have had two tickets. One for failing to maintain single lane, and one for 39 in a 30. It never caused my insurance to go up. Maybe other insurance is different, but with the insurance I have (state farm), it didn’t go up.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I have had two tickets. One for failing to maintain single lane, and one for 39 in a 30. It never caused my insurance to go up. Maybe other insurance is different, but with the insurance I have (state farm), it didn’t go up.[/quote]

I believe states have laws(I know for a fact Florida does)that governs whether or not an insurance company can raise your rates base on certain citations and based on frequency of citations.

In NC if it is less than 9 over and you have not had a ticket in 3 years it does not effect your rates. I just paid one two weeks ago after gettign it reduced form 25 over to 9 over.

Call you insurance agent and ask for advice. Thye will be very helpful and would like nothing more to help you keep your rates down.