Speed Work for Raw Lifting

Jim,

As I believe you know, there was a recent dust up in the powerlifting world over whether or not speed work was useful for the raw lifter.

I’ve already got my own opinions, but I’m curious to know yours, because I respect you and I think you would have some relevant first-hand knowledge. Do you think speed work delivers any benefit for a raw lifter? Thanks for your time.

P.S.

If you think it has its place in a raw lifter’s tool box, how would you incorporate it into 5/3/1 if at all?

[quote]Mad Martigan wrote:

If you think it has its place in a raw lifter’s tool box, how would you incorporate it into 5/3/1 if at all?[/quote]

Jim actually has a section on Dynamic Effort work and how to apply it in Beyond 5/3/1.

Thanks for the heads up. I have purchased three different editions of 5/3/1 (1st, 2nd and for powerlifters), but not Beyond 5/3/1. I hope he doesn’t take umbrage that I choose not to purchase his latest work at this time (not to mean I won’t in the future).

In any event, I’d still like to hear his opinion on the first question.

Thanks for the heads up. I have purchased three different editions of 5/3/1 (1st, 2nd and for powerlifters), but not Beyond 5/3/1. I hope he doesn’t take umbrage that I choose not to purchase his latest work at this time (not to mean I won’t in the future).

In any event, I’d still like to hear his opinion on the first question. [/quote]

For sure, I’ll leave that to Jim on that one.

There’s actually a lot in Beyond 5/3/1, it’s very much worth it. I have the 1st and 2nd edition too and this was definitely worth every $0.01. Jim should charge more for this book.

Jim,

As I believe you know, there was a recent dust up in the powerlifting world over whether or not speed work was useful for the raw lifter.

I’ve already got my own opinions, but I’m curious to know yours, because I respect you and I think you would have some relevant first-hand knowledge. Do you think speed work delivers any benefit for a raw lifter? Thanks for your time.

P.S.

If you think it has its place in a raw lifter’s tool box, how would you incorporate it into 5/3/1 if at all?[/quote]

If you have been reading much on this you may have already read the article, but over on elitefts Jennifer Petrosino wrote an article “In Defense of Westside for Raw Lifters” that touched on speed work and its applicability. Just thought you might find it interesting.

“Speed work” is essential. That’s why I like to advocate doing jumps and throws - you can’t isolate your CNS!
Train like a fast EXPLOSIVE ATHLETE, not like a oompah loompah. See who the most explosive people are (hint: throwers and football players). Then realize that these athletes depend on jumps, sprints, different throws, acceleration drills…On other words, they do it correctly.

Listen, you can believe whoever you want but I will always err on the side of The Winners/Doers rather than the Pretenders. Speed work is essential if done correctly - Bound, jump, toss, chuck…ain’t no secret except NO ONE looks in the correct spot for the answer.

1 Like

In any event, I’d still like to hear his opinion on the first question. [/quote]

I have the original 5/3/1, 5/3/1 for PL’ing and Beyond 5/3/1. All of them more than worth the price. It’s also a reminder to stick with what works. (Hint: simplicity, consistency and hard work).
Anyhoo…sorry for the interruption. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
“Speed work” is essential. That’s why I like to advocate doing jumps and throws - you can’t isolate your CNS!
Train like a fast EXPLOSIVE ATHLETE, not like a oompah loompah. See who the most explosive people are (hint: throwers and football players). Then realize that these athletes depend on jumps, sprints, different throws, acceleration drills…On other words, they do it correctly.

Listen, you can believe whoever you want but I will always err on the side of The Winners/Doers rather than the Pretenders. Speed work is essential if done correctly - Bound, jump, toss, chuck…ain’t no secret except NO ONE looks in the correct spot for the answer.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. At first I thought, “This isn’t what I asked.” But upon second reading, you answered me and then some. I really appreciate it.