Speed Work for Lax Player

Hey guys. I started posting hear a while ago looking for advice on my offseason training. I got up from 145 to about 170 with very minimal fat gain. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for there help. I did 5/3/1 for about 6-8 months with good strength gains. I do feel as if my progression is a little slow on 5/3/1 and some body parts are lagging. Planning on (hopefully) playing varsity next year for my school lacrosse team so i must be on my best game. My offseason is about 9 months so here is a program i outlined similar to 5/3/1 to follow. I do feel i have eating down and i understand the importance of it. So here it is.

Monday-

bench- get 5 reps with weight move up 3 sets

low incline- 3 set 8-10 reps. move up when all sets are 10

flys- 3 sets 12 reps

calf work

Tuesday- back

deadlift- 3 reps move up. 3 set

kayak rows- 3 sets 10 reps ( just to get the lats firing)

BB row- 3 sets 8-10 reps

db row- 3 sets 10 reps

might add another lift if my back isn’t destroyed

Wednesday- speed work/off

honestly have no clue what the hell to do here

thursday- shoulder/abzzzzz
press- 5 reps move up in weight

db press- 2 sets 8-10

cable laterals- 3 set 12 reps

db shrugs- blahh

Friday- legsss

squat- 5 reps go up in weight

leg curl - 3 set 10 reps

extensions- 3 set 10 reps

leg press burnout

saturday- arms if im up for it

skullcrusher- 3 set 8-10 reps

alt db curl- 3 set 10 reps

dips- 3 set 10 reps

ez bar curls- 3 sets 10 reps

pinwheel- blah

pushdowns- blah

so just wondering what you guys would recommend for speedwork for a lax player and if my split is okay. i have no problem hopinng back on 5/3/1 but just want to try something like this out see if it yields better results. thanks

As far as speed work for movement, I’d do sprints, box jumps, weighted jump variations, or oly lifting. All of these increase explosiveness and speed. Maybe some speed drills too, but I wouldn’t know anything about that. If you’re new to speed work I wouldn’t worry too much about what you’re doing as long as you’re doing something. 1-3 reps, 6-10 sets. Break records as often as you can.

As far as speed work for lifts, 12x2 for 2 weeks, 10x2 for 1 week, cycling 50/55/60% is fairly standard for a beginners squat speed, whereas 7-10x1x50-70% is standard for deadlift. Percentages should be lowered if the sets aren’t fast enough.

If you’re going to do something like 5/3/1, just do 5/3/1. If you need to change 5/3/1, just do a separate program. I don’t know what you’re lifting now, but 5/3/1 works for everyone and if you’re all out of linear progression gains and you play a sport, there’s nothing wrong with doing a program that gives you small, consistent gains.

im def not out of linear progression so thats why i thought my split is good because i can gain linear and the assistance work is similar. I would like to run this split if you guys think is looks alright for an athlete who wants size strength and speed. Thanks for the advice regarding speed.

as of right now im just looking for some critique on my split. Can anyone help me out?

If you made gains following 5/3/1, why the hell would you change anything?

^ Because some body parts are lagging. DUHHH!

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
^ Because some body parts are lagging. DUHHH![/quote]

Haha. I suspect it would be too much to tell him to stick with 5/3/1 for the main work and just prioritize the “lagging” body parts as part of his accessories. Much easier to reinvent the wheel and write his own programming haha. I also suspect these bodyparts can be fixed iwth tons of curlzzzz

Shh. That’d be too simple it’ll never work.

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
^ Because some body parts are lagging. DUHHH![/quote]

Haha. I suspect it would be too much to tell him to stick with 5/3/1 for the main work and just prioritize the “lagging” body parts as part of his accessories. Much easier to reinvent the wheel and write his own programming haha. I also suspect these bodyparts can be fixed iwth tons of curlzzzz[/quote]

Exactly.

Hey bud, there are a ton of really good programs and/or templates out there that are much better for your goals. You made great gains with 5/3/1, but you want to change 'cause of lagging muscle groups? You’re an athlete, not a bodybuilder. Having bigger arms and being a more explosive, conditioned athlete don’t need to be mutually exclusive, but you need to prioritize. Look into WS4SB or Designer Athletes here. I personally like designer athletes, but with a speed/olympic variant day in place of one leg day and less lower back work than the article prescribes. Good luck.

Oh yeah, your proposed split makes no sense for an athlete.

You had progress with 5/3/1 and you want to switch… why?

If you’re going to do what you proposed, which is a bad idea IMO because as I remember when you posted pics of yourself at 170 you were like 30% bodyfat (I COULD be wrong but I think I recognize your avatar) so you really have no buisness reinventing the wheel, at least change the back workout I mean 3 types of rows? Do a row, pulldown/chin up, and pullover of some kind instead.

EDIT: Yes I was right it is the same person. Please stick with 5/3/1 and get a better diet as it was discussed.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/jtownlax#myForums/thread/5051067/1

[quote]PlainPat wrote:
You had progress with 5/3/1 and you want to switch… why?

If you’re going to do what you proposed, which is a bad idea IMO because as I remember when you posted pics of yourself at 170 you were like 30% bodyfat (I COULD be wrong but I think I recognize your avatar) so you really have no buisness reinventing the wheel, at least change the back workout I mean 3 types of rows? Do a row, pulldown/chin up, and pullover of some kind instead.

EDIT: Yes I was right it is the same person. Please stick with 5/3/1 and get a better diet as it was discussed.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/hub/jtownlax#myForums/thread/5051067/1[/quote]

Sheeeyat.

Srsly tho: kid take the advice given to you

I guess i’m staying with 5/3/1. That is my thread above and i am very ashamed with it. I have leaned up to about 18% ( calpers). I read the book again and looked at the list of assistance exercises and this is what i came up with.

Day 1

Bench- 5/3/1 ( db row in between each set to increase back volume as wendler stated)

Db bench- 3 sets

pushdowns-3 sets

skullcrushers- 3 sets

day 2

squat- 5/3/1

leg curl- 3 set

lunges- 3 sets

may add more if you guys think i need it

day 3

press- 5/3/1

db millitary- 3 sets

raises- 3 sets

curl- 3 sets

day 4

deadlift- 5/3/1

db rows- 3 sets

chest supported row-3 sets

chin ups- 3 sets

My main goal is to become a better athlete. I will do 1 day of hills a week and 1 day of sprinting a week. Trying to improve my times each week. If any of you see anything at all that i could change in my program that would help me reach my goal i would love to hear it. Thanks T-Nation for getting me on track again

just going to run trivulant or whatever its called, run hills once a week, and sprint once a week. Ill check back in 9 months with my results. Thanks again for getting my on track T NATION.