T Nation

Speed Work, Doing the Big 3 Once/Wk

Hey guys,

My training partners claim I am very slow in my movements. So I figure adding in some speed work would be beneficial. I lift 4 days per week beginning with: Military Press, Squat, Bench, Deadlift.

Now, I do not want to devote 2 days per week to dynamic training west side style. I was thinking of doing some speed deadlifts after squats, speed squats after deadlifts and speed bench after military press. I am doing doubles right now with 85% on the main exercises. I planned on doing the speed work for 5-8 sets of 2-3 reps with about 50%.

Does this plan sound feasible? I guess what I am asking is: is speed work still beneficial if I do not start off the workout with it? Let me know what you guys think of this plan.

I think it’s a good idea. I’ve doen it before to maintain/improver bar speed. I’ve done it a few ways:

-Warm up, work up, and hit your heavy work weights, then drop down and do 3 to 5 explosive doubles or triples
-Warm up, work up to a speed set weight, hit a few doubles or triples there and then work up.
-Use a variation on the lift for the speed work. For example, I might do my deadlift work sets pulling from the floor either against bands or wearing a suit- but the speed sets will be straight weight or suitless pulling from a small deficit. I also like doing this on my shirted bench work where I’ll do my work sets shirted full range and then after that, I’ll do fast raws sets of 3 to 5 off a 4 or 5 board with a lighter weight.

Anyway you cut it, you will probably have a hard time getting a lot of speed sets in. 50% will probably be too light for your goals, but play around with it. I find my raw benches and pulls are pretty fast up to around 70-75% and my squats up to about 65-70%. I would go as heavy as you can until the bar starts slowing down. “Slow” is really kind of a judgement call thing- so again- it’s something you’re going to have to play around with.

pendulum wave?