T Nation

Speed Up My 2 Mile Time

i take a pt test in four days at officer basic. i’ve been training my 2mi the whole summer, and have it down to my goal. is there anything i can do nutrition/supplement-wise to shave off a couple extra seconds? i was planning on an omlet, bowl of oatmeal, and protien shake for breakfast. and drink some caffiene like 30min b4 the event

suggestions?

BETA-7

Try a baking soda mix? I can’t verify it, but I’ve heard that it buffers lactic acid buildup and the buildup of H+ ions.

[quote]Schmazz wrote:
Try a baking soda mix? I can’t verify it, but I’ve heard that it buffers lactic acid buildup and the buildup of H+ ions.[/quote]

it doesn’t compare to beta alanine. another supplement is citrulline malate. for bicarbonate supplements, potassium bicarbonate works better, it has less stomach distress than sodium bicarbonate.

oddly enough i see little benfit in bicrbonate supplementation for athletes consuming ideal diet. if you aren’t eating your fruits and veggies, that is goal number one. if you aren’t doing that, don’t even business with talk about acidity/performance.

in short, sodium bicarbonate is so high school, and that was over a decade ago.

In my experience a good nights rest 8+ hours and a bunch of carbs for dinner the night before work real well.

I wouldn’t eat anything prior to running, maybe a few glasses of water thats bout it.

Eating food before you run will hamper your performance because the blood will rush to your stomach to digest the food, when it should be rushing to your legs and heart.

Be sure to warm up well.

[quote]Schmazz wrote:
Try a baking soda mix? I can’t verify it, but I’ve heard that it buffers lactic acid buildup and the buildup of H+ ions.[/quote]

Seems to me like you guys never ran a 2 mile before. Yes the 2 mile is anaerobic and there is lactic acid but not a lot. My advice to give us is make sure you stay up on your carbs, but dont carb load or anything its just a 2 mile, and i like to sip gatorade before i ran.

[quote]Schmazz wrote:

That’s been disproved.

Make sure you are fully hydrated, dont just drink the morning of the test, start drinking enough water today. You dont have to overdo it, that will just result in more trips to the toilet, but make sure you dont neglect your fluid intake.

[quote]xb100 wrote:
maybe a few glasses of water thats bout it.

[/quote]

Why would you want “a few glasses of water” sloshing around in your stomach while you run?

Yikes.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
xb100 wrote:
maybe a few glasses of water thats bout it.

Why would you want “a few glasses of water” sloshing around in your stomach while you run?

Yikes.

[/quote]

Isn’t the reason obvious? So he pukes and makes all the other runners slip and fall in his big mess of bile-water.

I have always found that 1 asprin and some type of caffine supplyment will improve my 3 mile time.

Stay away from all caffeine until the morning of.

don’t change it up too much otherwise your body might react poorly. Generally your training is what will dictate your time at this point. If you trained hard you will run fast.

Hopefully you are on an actual training program for track and aren’t just running 2 miles every day attempting to beat your old time. Running, just like lifting, should have a specified plan.

Don’t do the sodium bicarb that’s for sure. I tested it out once the day before the meet, I probably stopped 4 - 5 times during a 2 mile run that was supposed to be 3 - 4 miles.

Secondly, I’d say don’t eat the omelette and everything for a 2 mile run. Eat a “light” breakfast, doing it once will not hurt you. Maybe some toast with a little honey (real honey) or jam/jelly. Possibly a protein shake with water, not too much more.

Caffeine is risky, if you use it, there are protocols on pubmed or here that show how much you need for the full effect, just make sure you take it like 30 minutes before, maybe an hour. Some people react adversely to it, just like the sodium bicarb, so you would want to test that out as well.

Really though, I never had a problem running two mile races and stuff really bother me, probably because I didn’t focus on it.