T Nation

Speed Training.

Basically. How do I run faster.

I want to improve my 40yrd dash time.

A lot of shit that I google is kinda bs- or snakeskin salesman stuff trying to get me to buy some sorta device.

Any help? I figure it’s like defrano says, just get stronger in the weight room and work on the form. Not much you can do to improve a 40, its so short. So

Should I just be working on those single leg squats :stuck_out_tongue:

Or should I buy a bungee cord and strap it to some ass piercings, and get shot out of a sling shot with a rocket attached to my dick.

[ya some of those contraptions are that ridiculous]

Come on guys I WANT TO BE QUICK(er)!

-Xen

Once upon a time, my sister was a sprinter. It seems to me that one of the things that they did was drag things, such as tires, behind them as they sprinted. I’m not sure what this did specifically; perhaps it would force them to either provide more power from each leg or a increase their stride length to compensate for the added resistance.

Similar to the above, I have heard of using a parachute-dealy to increase drag when sprinting.

I’ve always wondered if you could use those heavy duty elastic bands, such as those spoken of here for use with weightlifting, to assist in speed training. Could one attempt to sprint into them if another person held it, or if you very, very securely attached it to something? Just a thought, although perhaps not too clear.

What is it that you think you need to improve?

It’s an interesting question to me, as I think increasing speed will be this summer’s goal…

-FC

Look up something called “plyometrics”. They helped me greatly when it comes to speed.

I would say you are on the right track looking at Defranco’s stuff. He is the man when it comes to the 40 yd. dash. Just read all his stuff, and I am pretty sure there are actually quite a bit of sprinters on this board. I can remember one that used to sprint for a D-1 school that was willing to give advice a bit ago.

stick with defranco. he is the most popular authority on training for the 40. also, anything he recommends probably wouldn’t disagree with anything charlie francis (THE authority on speed) recommends.

[quote]FlawlessCowboy wrote:
Once upon a time, my sister was a sprinter. It seems to me that one of the things that they did was drag things, such as tires, behind them as they sprinted. I’m not sure what this did specifically; perhaps it would force them to either provide more power from each leg or a increase their stride length to compensate for the added resistance.

[/quote]

Might change sprint mechanics but I’ll look into it.

[qoute]
Similar to the above, I have heard of using a parachute-dealy to increase drag when sprinting.
[/quote]
This DOES change sprint mechanics cause sometimes the wind whips you from side to side and stuff. I used them when I ran track…it was cool but I don’t really feel that it helped me.

Defranco does quite often apparently. But only in the weight room, he does some overspeed training with them and jump squats to increase vertical I know.

Ya there IS a contraption like this already. I actually feel that it does help. Not neccessarily for track but for football yea. But speed wise I dunno, kinda changes mechanics again. But that might just be the sprinter in me with all of this “Good form” bullshit.

Strength and explosiveness. That comes in the weight room I guess, need to integrate plyometrics too :-/

My start needs work, I’m strong out the hole but the other stuff is technique wise.

Come to think of it.

It’s all strength.

If you excuse me I’m going to go pick up something heavy and walk with it for a while (rinse & repeat)

what are you current strength levels like?

if you haven’t spent any appreciable time working on sprint mechanics, that is by far the best way to go. i knocked half a second of my forty working with a sprint coach a few years ago. no, not half of a tenth… half of a SECOND.

while working mechanics, spend a lot of time working the posterior chain in the weightroom. squats, deads, goodmornings, single leg squats, walking lunges, overhead squats, RDL’s, glute ham raises, reverse hypers, etc.

The first 10 meters or so are based on maximal strength so I’d say you are on the right path.

Like one of the previous posters mentioned anything written by Charlie Francis would help. He’s done a couple Q&A’s on this site give them a search.

Tags

Xen,

-Defrancos start stuff helped me in the 40 yrd sprint. I use his start techniques when tested.

-Biggest thing for me was leg strength… period.
Went from a 4.6/7 forty out of high school to a 4.4 in college from increase in leg strength alone.

-Oh and Ladder drills helped me too. Those flat ladders you throw on the basketball floor. My feet/brain speed quickened.

-Get Lifted

Thanks for the help guys.

I have my stats on my blog site…

http://projectx.blogdrive.com

2nd post I believe. I’ll be posting more frequently now my training and what not. I"ve been taking this week to get my sleep and nutrition in order. Along with some other administrative stuff.

My strength level’s are mediocre, my overall sprint mechanics are fine, but my start (for the 40 anyway) are bad I know, I’m used to coming out of blocks. or flying (last leg of the 4X1).

figure i’ll keep googling and searching around here. See what I can piece together…check the site I’ll keep it all posted.

-Xen

Here’s the last, frivolous thing I can think of… Have you tried running in bare feet? The theory goes that this strengthens your feet and ankles…

This comes to you by a passing glance at a Popular Science magazine, and a quick search of their website reveals what I remember:

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,783917,00.html

Nike Free 5.0, allegedly mimics running in bare feet… Of course, they are also $85 a pair, so I’d recommend just finiding a suitable surface (grass?) and given’er in true bare-foot fashion. You may want to walk on the surface for a while in bare feet to toughen the skin/get accustomed to the sensation.

It’s interesting how it all comes down to strength…

-FC

if anybody else was interested… from Defranco’s website:

Q: How many days a week should I run if I want to improve my 40-yard dash time? I live on the east coast and now that the weather is getting warmer, I?m ready to hit the track and get fast!

Chris

A: Here?s the deal. The shorter the distance of the race, the less often you have to run to improve upon it. Since the 40 is a very short race, it relies heavily on strength, power and technique. After you are properly coached on the intricacies and technique of the race, the majority of your training should take place in the weight room. I found that after around 6-8 sessions of running forties and practicing technique, the biggest limiting factor in an athlete?s speed is his/her strength, flexibility and/or body composition.

A great example of this is Boston College linebacker Vinny Ciurciu. Vinny has been a client of mine for the past 4 years. Over the years he has run endless 10-yard sprints and 40-yard dashes. He knows the technique to the 40-yard dash better than most qualified speed & strength coaches. This is why leading into the biggest 40-yard dash of his life (at his Pro Day on March 26th) his training focused primarily on strength/explosive power training, flexibility and proper nutrition. He lifted weights and incorporated intense flexibility training on an average of 4 days a week, ran on an average of 1-2 days a week and followed a diet of lean proteins, essential fatty acids and low-glycemic carbohydrates. Exercises of primary importance were dynamic box squats with bands, trap bar deadlifts from a podium with chains, barbell reverse lunges and reverse hyperextensions. During flexibility training sessions the hip flexors, gluteals and hamstrings were given top priority.

After all was said and done, Vinny ran an official 4.43-second forty-yard dash, weighing 240 lbs.!