Speed Sleep

http://speedsleep.com/products.php

Anyone ever tried speed sleep? It’s a cd/mp3 track that’s supposed to help you fall asleep quicker, have a more restful sleep, wake up feeling more refreshed, etc. The page above has a link on “how it works” but I’d trust 1st hand experience more, and I figured with the importance of sleep to recovery, maybe a few guys on here had given it a whirl.

I’m tempted to try it since it’s only $20, and if that gave me an extra hour every day or improved my results in the weightroom, that would be very worth it

Torrents allow you to try before you buy…

I’d say for $20 its worth trying. Otherwise, they just said the tape works as a cue and I’d doubt the sales pitch unless they have published some EEG studies on it.

The one I have tried and experienced some success with is http://www.hemi-sync.com/default.asp . It works on the principals of binaural beats where a different frequency is played in each ear behind some voice cueing, and ‘brain waves’ are supposed to tune to the difference of the frequencies bringing you to the slower recuperative states.

I was practicing meditation at the time and I don’t know how much of it was due to the tapes or my progression in my meditation experiments. There is adequate research showing the subsequent brain waves states obtained by experienced practioners meditating.

I ordered some home eeg boards about a month ago I haven’t hooked up yet, Welcome to the OpenEEG project , with the intent of playing around with some of this stuff. I also have a paper where they show how a heart rate monitor, instead of the eeg, can be used to detect rem sleep. At the end of the day, I would rather fall put a heart rate monitor around my chest than electrodes on my scalp to chart how much useful rest I’m getting.

If you give it a shot and $20 is a good price point for this, please post your results, but I think you could obtain the same result by getting in the habit of laying down in the dark with some relaxing, quiet music on, and intentionally trying to breathe real slow.

I’m selling a sleep aid, myself. the kit comes with two bricks which you slam repeatedly against your head.

I’ve used something similar called “power nap”. I definitely feel more rested when using it, but I generally get plenty of sleep anyway. My roommate tried to do polyphasic sleep with it and lasted about a week.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I’ve used something similar called “power nap”. I definitely feel more rested when using it, but I generally get plenty of sleep anyway. My roommate tried to do polyphasic sleep with it and lasted about a week.[/quote]

Polyphasic sleep is VERY effective but you have a 2 or 3 month break in period, and only will serve you well if you abandon your social life (you miss one nap and you’re fucked). Takes a very specific lifestyle, typically that of a hardcore codemonkey.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
I’ve used something similar called “power nap”. I definitely feel more rested when using it, but I generally get plenty of sleep anyway. My roommate tried to do polyphasic sleep with it and lasted about a week.[/quote]

Polyphasic sleep is VERY effective but you have a 2 or 3 month break in period, and only will serve you well if you abandon your social life (you miss one nap and you’re fucked). Takes a very specific lifestyle, typically that of a hardcore codemonkey.[/quote]

Well my roommate is a programmer.

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Polyphasic sleep is VERY effective but you have a 2 or 3 month break in period, and only will serve you well if you abandon your social life (you miss one nap and you’re fucked). Takes a very specific lifestyle, typically that of a hardcore codemonkey.[/quote]

Or being a professional body builder.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Dude a week is way too long to be asleep.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Or being a professional body builder.[/quote]

? I’d say being a pro BBer would be one of the worst professions possible to try polyphasic sleeping - I can think of LOADS of occasions where you wouldn’t be able to get a solid 15m of quiet and deep sleep every 2 hours. A show is the most obvious, but 15m of sleep with all the exertion of BBing is not good jive turkey.

I am torrenting this thing down right now… Will see how it goes.

One thing I will recommend to you for sleeping is a humidifier. When that thing is on I SLEEP really good. It’s so horrible that I won’t use it on worknights simply because it will cause me to sleep through my alarms.

I downloaded the torrent and will try it tonight… falling asleep quickly is something I’ve been having trouble doing lately and I feel like shit if I don’t get 10 hours (I lived off of 5 or 6 in college). I’ll bump if I find it to be useful.

It is impossible to sleep on speed.

Troll

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Dude a week is way too long to be asleep.[/quote]

I see what you did there.

I downloaded the torrent and it’s a pile of poo.

Years ago I used to listen to sleep bot streaming radio. It has a ton more of variety, just google it up. The thing is free, you can’t beat that. You may need winamp.

You want to sleep? Watch this woman work her magic