Speed Benching w/o Chains or Bands?

i’ve been under the impression people speed bench with chains and bands because it’s safer for the joints at lockout by allowing for deceleration? is this correct?

also, is speed benching without chains or bands safe?

thanks.

I believe bands are good for this purpose, not chains. Since most people bench in something like a “J” shape, the chains swing around too much during benching.

That’s not the only reason bands are good though, they allow a faster eccentric which means a faster concentric action too, great for speed work! More resistance at the lockout has its benefits too.

Speed benching without bands is safe ofcourse, but it is a little harder on the joints.

[quote]Laughing Man wrote:
I believe bands are good for this purpose, not chains. Since most people bench in something like a “J” shape, the chains swing around too much during benching.[/quote]

Another good question is… should you bench in a “J” shape?

There are two main schools of thought on this in powerlifting;

1. the guys that try to bench in a straight line, as the shortest distance is a straight line right?

2. the guys who press back towards the head, as this is a more efficient movement for the human body, this is a much more natural way to groove the bench press.

I’m from the second school of thought. This is a topic with alot of people on both sides. But in my experiences, and from coaching I have receive I believe straight line pressing is less efficient, and weaker.

I believe bands are good for this purpose, not chains. Since most people bench in something like a “J” shape, the chains swing around too much during benching.
[/quote]

Chains shouldn’t be swinging around unless you’re doing that for a specific purpose. Normally there should be some links on the ground at all times to avoid swinging.

And, to the OP, in my experience, bands are much harder on the joints than deceleration could ever be.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Laughing Man wrote:

Chains shouldn’t be swinging around unless you’re doing that for a specific purpose. Normally there should be some links on the ground at all times to avoid swinging.

And, to the OP, in my experience, bands are much harder on the joints than deceleration could ever be.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. If your chains are swinging, then you’ve got them set up wrong…that’s what the leader chain is there for.

In my experience, straight weight is the easiest on the joints, but you do lose the benefit of the accomodating resistance. Chains are a little harder on the joints, but tolerable. And for me, bands beat the shit out of the joints, and I never use them for more than 3 weeks in a row.

3 weeks chains 3 weeks bands, Tate recomendation.bands are way much harder.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Laughing Man wrote:

[/quote]

Ah, damn me and my shitty setup for chains!

[quote]loveforiron wrote:
3 weeks chains 3 weeks bands, Tate recomendation.bands are way much harder.[/quote]

I’m not speed benching this cycle, but during my last cycle I did 2 weeks of chains, 2 weeks straight weight, 2 weeks bands, 2 weeks straight weight, repeat…The 2 weeks of straight weight seemed to be enough of a break to let the tendons recover.

There are two main schools of thought on this in powerlifting;

1. the guys that try to bench in a straight line, as the shortest distance is a straight line right?

2. the guys who press back towards the head, as this is a more efficient movement for the human body, this is a much more natural way to groove the bench press.

I’m from the second school of thought. This is a topic with alot of people on both sides. But in my experiences, and from coaching I have receive I believe straight line pressing is less efficient, and weaker.[/quote]

Very interesting. I believe Dave Tate prefers the former, but he’s one of many. I find I can press more with the latter.

why are chains/bands harder on joints? i was under the impression they help with deceleration at the top, so your joints don’t have to do it themselves.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
why are chains/bands harder on joints? i was under the impression they help with deceleration at the top, so your joints don’t have to do it themselves.[/quote]

They add soem extra weight tot he top and bottom. Bands especially accelerate the negative.

[quote]Modi wrote:
loveforiron wrote:
3 weeks chains 3 weeks bands, Tate recomendation.bands are way much harder.

I’m not speed benching this cycle, but during my last cycle I did 2 weeks of chains, 2 weeks straight weight, 2 weeks bands, 2 weeks straight weight, repeat…The 2 weeks of straight weight seemed to be enough of a break to let the tendons recover. [/quote]

ok but i like better 3 week chains than 3 week bands.i am taking time off on my me days so no need for taking time off on de days