Speed Bench and Raw Bench

The next meet I am doing is without gear. I was doing a speed bench day since for my last meet I used a bench shirt. Is speed work as beneficial to a raw lifter though or would it be better to do something like paused benches or perhaps higher reps/lighter weight instead on the second day?

Speed will always help. You still have to accelerate the bar whether or not you’re wearing a bench shirt.

I do all of that. Speed work, pause work, partial benches in the rack. Hell; I did them all last night!

Hopefully in a few weeks when I re-test my max; it will have helped me work through my sticking point.

i compete raw and use a modified Westside templete. I’ve never gotten much out of speed benching other than tender elbows and shoulders. I typically do two ME bench variations and then follow it up with RE work. Right now I’m doing Tim Henriques -Demolish your bench plateau program. It rotates weekly between RE and ME bench. It’s a great program that will kick your ass… very high volume.

Hey maraudermeat, what does that bench press program from Tim look like? Could you PM me it? Thanks

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Hey maraudermeat, what does that bench press program from Tim look like? Could you PM me it? Thanks[/quote]

oh sweet, i didn’t know it was on this site! lol i looked up in google and thought it was the posts about it.
thanks mang!

[quote]rasturai wrote:
oh sweet, i didn’t know it was on this site! lol i looked up in google and thought it was the posts about it.
thanks mang![/quote]
be careful what you ask for mang… Meat got me on it, just finished second week… still sore. He also got me on the Coan/ Phillipi Deadlift program. Did I mention I hate him… and his squirrel… lol!

i was supposed to do week 4 of the deadlift cycle tonight, but i’m wayyy too wiped from the bench on monday. my pecs are so sore that i can’t even lift my arms all the way. i decided to wait until tomorrow. week 4 is going to be a real bitch.

pain don’t hurt.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i was supposed to do week 4 of the deadlift cycle tonight, but i’m wayyy too wiped from the bench on monday. my pecs are so sore that i can’t even lift my arms all the way. i decided to wait until tomorrow. week 4 is going to be a real bitch.

pain don’t hurt. [/quote]

Pain is just weakness leaving your body. Funny… I don’t think you have any weakness… freakin’ beast!

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

pain don’t hurt.

Pain is just weakness leaving your body. Funny… I don’t think you have any weakness… freakin’ beast!
[/quote]

only the occasional vaginitis. it’s flaring up big time right now.

i decided im doing the platue busting bench routine it looks fantastitc
think this split will work ok?
monday: off
tuesday: legs
wed: shoulders or the bench program havent decided
thurs: legs (these are low volume sessions so i dont overtrian dont worry)
fri: off
sat: bench or shoudler routine
sun: back

If you’re a slow lifter, speed work will help a lot.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
bunny7568 wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

pain don’t hurt.

only the occasional vaginitis. it’s flaring up big time right now.

[/quote]
sent you a message on your profile at the other place, how many boards do you/ am I supposed to use for the board presses week 3 of the program?

its 2 for weak bottom part lifter s and 3 for everyone else i believe it says in page two of the explanation

[quote]bunny7568 wrote:
Pain is just weakness leaving your body.
[/quote]

dang, i like that right there