Speechless (Horrible Squat)

[quote]rniel wrote:
Back in my college weight room one time this guy had 495lbs. loaded on the squat bar and he looked like weighed only 130. I was surprised to see him get under the bar and thought he was either going to kill himself or I was going to witness something amazing. He unracked it went down only about 1" (no kidding) and came up for 3 reps. I was just wondering in my mind if he goes around bragging to people he can squat over 500.[/quote]

You bet your ass he does. Frankly I could care less how anyone does their squats. The ridiculous part is you know that these people then walk around claiming how they squatted such and such. This is why I don’t talk to people about lifting, because they’re gonna pull some shit like this out of their ass.

My general rule of thumb: unless the person has competed or I’ve seen them squat, when they tell you their squat numbers they are talking about half squats (or quarter squats, whichever label you prefer). Based on gym experience, it will hold true for about 95% of the people you talk to.

The guy that Panther1015 put up, I think he’s the same lifter I saw on a thread here 2 mo ago, hang clean rediculous amts of weight. I believe his full squats here were 649 lbs.

[quote]Tuggles wrote:
Ya I really should go back to being a lurker on this site as I’m still an amateur. The squat was ok with me except for the depth, but I’m not an expert. Anyways he’s not a guy I really want to see lined up across from me at the current time. :)[/quote]

exactly. squat form be damned, he’s strong, much stronger than me.

[quote]sigvarth wrote:
…You goddamned internet cunts need to go do some squats yourselves instead of bitching about this stuff…[/quote]

My mom use to say this to me all the time!

Havent read all these but Ive seen much much worse. That was a lot of weight and if the guy backed off a bit worked on form etc in no time he’d be nailing some respectable #'s in good form Prob more than he did there very shortly.

I think the lift was pretty damn good, yeah he was a few inches probably away from parallel, but his knee’s didn’t seem like they were going forward?..I think he was pretty damn good form actually, and if he went all the way down to parallel, he’d have a complete squat lift. Other than going all the way to parallel, he has good form, and could squat 550 raw, down to parallel without a doubt.

[quote]nolecat wrote:
sigvarth wrote:
…You goddamned internet cunts need to go do some squats yourselves instead of bitching about this stuff…

My mom use to say this to me all the time! [/quote]

Haha, nice one, cat… you made me spit half a mouthful of organic soup…

I’d be glad if I were as strong as he is.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
Here’s a great squat vid someone posted under the one you linked:

I have seen that dozens of times and it never ceases to impress/motivate me!

Cheers

Pat

I won’t criticize the squat in the original post, as I do not actively compete in PL. That said it is hard to compare the later squat links to PL criteria due to the squatter being O-lifters.

I couldn’t tell if he went down far enough or not. his knees really didn’t move forward much either. You guys are to harsh, it’s a football player not a powerlifter.

I like this comic.

http://www.guidoandluigi.com/index.php?date=2006-03-08

That’s me, only I gotta work on the lifing too.

[quote]sinai16 wrote:
I’m surprised to see this up here, as that guy was the student guard in my dorm last year (I go to Georgetown.) He’s obviously strong as hell. I would prefer to see a below parallel squat, but I understand how hard it is to get a team full of guys flexible enough with good enough form to safely do full squats. It’s not ideal, but given the situation, in which he’s just trying to get damn strong for football, it’s obviously working. Augie Maurelli, the GU strength coach, studied and trained under Bill Starr and was a hell of an olympic-style weightlifter, which inclines me to give him the benefit of the doubt. It’s easy to sit here and criticize imperfections in squat form. It’s another thing entirely to get every one of your athletes squatting perfectly with enough weight to prepare them for their sport. [/quote]

Lee Maurelli is a stong SOB. We went to the same H.S. (but he’s 4 years older) but I lifted with him at times in the summer. Very strong.

Well I just wanted to make a few quick comments. I am part time S&C and know this young man very well. That particular day he had already done cleans and bench prior to squatting. He had no suit, no wraps, and was training for performance enhancement, not for a meet. He also had been fighting off some injury issues.

This guy if I remember correctly might have been a walk on four years ago (before I moved here). No athletic financial aid or help getting into GU academically because of sports, quite an accomplishment. This guy also has a work ethic anyone would be proud of.

I remember showing up to run a 6am morning speed and conditioning session this summer, and I come early to clear my head and mentally prepare…this player was there earlier than I was, standing at the gated entrance to the football field, taking attendence and making sure all the players were showing up (on his own, this is not required). I remember noticing he might be having some cramping or spasm issues, and tried to pull him off to the side to back off and take care of himself…he refused and pretended like all was okay…he is that type of guy who ALWAYS goes the extra mile.

I was on the team email list, and would get frequent emails from him to the team asking people to do optional runs with him, climb the infamous “exorcist stairs”, or spend time watching game film, always encouraging his comrades.

I do not think Ive ever heard him swear, complain, or say a negative word about anyone. Polite, respectful, and positive attitude always. He will probably end up at a top tier law school or B-school if he so desires because of his academic success. This is the type of guy you want dating your daughter.

This is also the type of guy you want by your side in a back alley if you were to be jumped, in a foxhole if you were about to charge a hill, or next to you in the van if you were about to deploy and kick down the door of a crack house with armed thugs inside serving a high risk warrant…

Some old fashioned guy I really like said something I really appreciate…

“It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat.”?26th President Theodore Roosevelt

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:
Well I just wanted to make a few quick comments. I am part time S&C and know this young man very well. That particular day he had already done cleans and bench prior to squatting. He had no suit, no wraps, and was training for performance enhancement, not for a meet. He also had been fighting off some injury issues.

This guy if I remember correctly might have been a walk on four years ago (before I moved here). No athletic financial aid or help getting into GU academically because of sports, quite an accomplishment. This guy also has a work ethic anyone would be proud of.

I remember showing up to run a 6am morning speed and conditioning session this summer, and I come early to clear my head and mentally prepare…this player was there earlier than I was, standing at the gated entrance to the football field, taking attendence and making sure all the players were showing up (on his own, this is not required). I remember noticing he might be having some cramping or spasm issues, and tried to pull him off to the side to back off and take care of himself…he refused and pretended like all was okay…he is that type of guy who ALWAYS goes the extra mile.

I was on the team email list, and would get frequent emails from him to the team asking people to do optional runs with him, climb the infamous “exorcist stairs”, or spend time watching game film, always encouraging his comrades.

I do not think Ive ever heard him swear, complain, or say a negative word about anyone. Polite, respectful, and positive attitude always. He will probably end up at a top tier law school or B-school if he so desires because of his academic success. This is the type of guy you want dating your daughter.

This is also the type of guy you want by your side in a back alley if you were to be jumped, in a foxhole if you were about to charge a hill, or next to you in the van if you were about to deploy and kick down the door of a crack house with armed thugs inside serving a high risk warrant…

“It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat.”?26th President Theodore Roosevelt

[/quote]

But…but, he didn’t hit parallel on his squat. Kidding. Excellent post and hope it offers some internet warriors a different perspective.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Tuggles wrote:
This is a horrible squat in a college weightroom.

I was under the impression that that’s how all football players squat.[/quote]

Im under the impression you dont have a clue what your talking about…

I’d be shocked if half of the e-tough guys on T-Nation could even do a walkout with 600. I guarantee that the OP isn’t doing one.

good post bluecollarjock.
this is the type of thread and mentality that makes stay out of gyms. to many wanna-be warriors critizing the work of another. when all is said and done balls and work are what matter. doing a squat perfect will not make you a better anything. And picking apart the achievements of others is for those with little success of their own to speak of.

Iron monkeys sitting around the gym comparing the size of each others barbell makes me sick. you are still weak and without room to critque anyone.

[quote]bluecollarjock wrote:

“It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcomings, who knows the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows in the end the high achievement of triumph and who at worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows his place shall never be with those timid and cold souls who know neither victory or defeat.”?26th President Theodore Roosevelt [/quote]

Very true, good post.