Speechless (Horrible Squat)

This is a horrible squat in a college weightroom.

Other than the fact that he didnt reach parallel… what was so horrible about it?

Here’s a great squat vid someone posted under the one you linked:

YEah… Ridiculous. They got that right!!

As for what’s wrong… IMO he breaks at the knees, they travel too far forward and he’s looking for an injury.

[quote]Tuggles wrote:

I was under the impression that that’s how all football players squat.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Tuggles wrote:

I was under the impression that that’s how all football players squat.[/quote]

Now that’s funny.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Other than the fact that he didnt reach parallel… what was so horrible about it?[/quote]

Exactly. What was so bad about that squat?

If that was 600 pounds, I would bet 90% of the guys bitching on here wouldnt be able to hit a squat of even that depth with it.

Looks like a good raw squat to me.

I’m surprised to see this up here, as that guy was the student guard in my dorm last year (I go to Georgetown.) He’s obviously strong as hell. I would prefer to see a below parallel squat, but I understand how hard it is to get a team full of guys flexible enough with good enough form to safely do full squats. It’s not ideal, but given the situation, in which he’s just trying to get damn strong for football, it’s obviously working. Augie Maurelli, the GU strength coach, studied and trained under Bill Starr and was a hell of an olympic-style weightlifter, which inclines me to give him the benefit of the doubt. It’s easy to sit here and criticize imperfections in squat form. It’s another thing entirely to get every one of your athletes squatting perfectly with enough weight to prepare them for their sport.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Other than the fact that he didnt reach parallel… what was so horrible about it?

Exactly. What was so bad about that squat?

If that was 600 pounds, I would bet 90% of the guys bitching on here wouldnt be able to hit a squat of even that depth with it.
[/quote]

yeah, but I could at least get all the way down :slight_smile:

I agree that he wasn’t tight, was very interested in recording the event, as opposed to just living the event, and did not initiate the movement with his hips. Also, if you attached a BFS beeper to the middle of his thighs, he would not have beeped (hit parallel). But, I have thought that (to a lesser degree) about a few powerlifting green lighted lifts lately.

On the other hand, he is awful strong raw. The is another thread about an 805 raw squat, and that lifter gets 38% out of his suit, with a mid 1100 suited squat. So this guard could feasibly get 900+ once he learned to use a suit properly. Of course, why would he really want to do that until his days being an athlete are past…?

The second video’s lifter buckled at the knees a bit for me, and definitely did not prescribe to the “drive the knees outward” mantra of Westside style lifters.

Since squatting is a means of general preparation for this athlete, and he actually isn’t judged on how much he squats, then our only concern should be injury. Knees don’t travel way too far forward, and they stay in line with the direction of the feet. My big concern would be his lack of staying tight.

In the end, I would bet if we compared the drive, zone and pass sets of many of his critics here with his, we could pick apart their form also… that is what this young man does (block), as he is an athlete, not a weightroom warrior…

When he claims to be a great lifter… crticize away…

Now he is just a goofy kid who is pretty strong…

Good for him. Now, let’s tighten him up for his mid-lower back’s sake…

J

To the OP- yea that’s bad form.

He can get 600 on his shoulders, which is cool, but that was far from a full squat.

Strong fucker, but not as stong as he could be.

Ya I really should go back to being a lurker on this site as I’m still an amateur. The squat was ok with me except for the depth, but I’m not an expert. Anyways he’s not a guy I really want to see lined up across from me at the current time. :slight_smile:

WTF?!?What The Fuck! So he was a little bit high from that angle, but you really couldn;t see any of the side of his legs. You goddamned internet cunts need to go do some squats yourselves instead of bitching about this stuff. Jesus Christ on a goddamned crutch this site really grinds my gears sometimes.

[quote]sigvarth wrote:
WTF?!?What The Fuck! So he was a little bit high from that angle, but you really couldn;t see any of the side of his legs. You goddamned internet cunts need to go do some squats yourselves instead of bitching about this stuff. Jesus Christ on a goddamned crutch this site really grinds my gears sometimes.[/quote]

Found the perfect cartoon to go with that:

http://www.guidoandluigi.com/index.php?date=2006-06-03

I think some people need to stop judging every squat they see by high and mighty powerlifting meet standards, ESPECIALLY considering the source of the video.

Seriously, that squat wasn’t horrible…you should come to my gym, on the off chance that someone is actually squatting, guarunteed he is only going down a quarter of the way at most.

So it wasn’t a perfect squat … but it wasn’t horrible either.

Who cares, except for the guy in the vid.

check out these guys…pretty impressive if you ask me:

Back in my college weight room one time this guy had 495lbs. loaded on the squat bar and he looked like weighed only 130. I was surprised to see him get under the bar and thought he was either going to kill himself or I was going to witness something amazing. He unracked it went down only about 1" (no kidding) and came up for 3 reps. I was just wondering in my mind if he goes around bragging to people he can squat over 500.