T Nation

Specter Becomes Democrat


#1

Longtime GOP Sen. Arlen Specter becomes Democrat

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/28/specter.party.switch/?iref=hpmostpop

What do you all think?


#2

Big deal. Lots of people suddenly switch loyalties for politically expedient reasons.


#3

Nice pic Varq! Well done.


#4

This guy is a real piece of work…


#5

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Big deal. Lots of people suddenly switch loyalties for politically expedient reasons.[/quote]

LOL. I heard he was getting his ass kicked in the GOP primary polling… hmm… coincidence?


#6

It’s about time…He always acted like one, he finally has the balls to admit he is one.


#7

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Big deal. Lots of people suddenly switch loyalties for politically expedient reasons.[/quote]

It is a very big deal, and sounds very suspicious if you ask me.

There is likely much more behind this than the political expediency.


#8

[quote]tedro wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
Big deal. Lots of people suddenly switch loyalties for politically expedient reasons.

It is a very big deal, and sounds very suspicious if you ask me.

The switch puts Senate Democrats one vote shy of a filibuster-proof majority of 60 seats. They can reach the 60-seat mark if Al Franken holds his current lead in the disputed Minnesota Senate race.

There is likely much more behind this than the political expediency.

[/quote]

Either way, it works for me.


#9

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Big deal. Lots of people suddenly switch loyalties for politically expedient reasons.[/quote]

I love it - nice job Varq!


#10

I think the Republican Party has turned into (or become) something that is unrecognizable. Back in the day, the definition of a Republican was pretty clear. Nowadays its hard to figure out what’s going on with them. I am sure that that played a part in his changing parties. That and that he can’t win Pennsylvania.


#11

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Longtime GOP Sen. Arlen Specter becomes Democrat

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/28/specter.party.switch/?iref=hpmostpop

What do you all think?[/quote]

I think he’s a tool. He did it so he wouldn’t get beat in a primary.


#12

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
Big deal. Lots of people suddenly switch loyalties for politically expedient reasons.

LOL. I heard he was getting his ass kicked in the GOP primary polling… hmm… coincidence?[/quote]

None.


#13

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I think the Republican Party has turned into (or become) something that is unrecognizable. Back in the day, the definition of a Republican was pretty clear. Nowadays its hard to figure out what’s going on with them. I am sure that that played a part in his changing parties. That and that he can’t win Pennsylvania. [/quote]

I’m wondering if we are seeing the Republicans shedding their dead weight.

While I don’t like losing any race, one wonders if it’s part of getting back to principles.

No one can claim specter was much of a Conservative.

I’m thinking they are moving back to the Right.

The recent votes in the Senate/House over the budgets gave me great hope.

JeffR


#14

Commander Hope’n’Change is thrilled to have Specter on board! Fire up those teleprompters for the Democratic primaries!


#15

He won’t get re-elected no matter what he does.


#16

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
He won’t get re-elected no matter what he does.[/quote]

I think you’re right.


#17

Political Calculus:


#18

He switched to a Republican in 1965 when he realized he couldn’t win as a Democrat and now he does the same thing in 2009 and people are suprised? Politicians always put power over principle.


#19

[quote]Jeff R wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
I think the Republican Party has turned into (or become) something that is unrecognizable. Back in the day, the definition of a Republican was pretty clear. Nowadays its hard to figure out what’s going on with them. I am sure that that played a part in his changing parties. That and that he can’t win Pennsylvania.

I’m wondering if we are seeing the Republicans shedding their dead weight.

While I don’t like losing any race, one wonders if it’s part of getting back to principles.

No one can claim specter was much of a Conservative.

I’m thinking they are moving back to the Right.

The recent votes in the Senate/House over the budgets gave me great hope.

JeffR

[/quote]

This is a serious question:

Getting back to what “principles”?

(And if you say “less government”, I’ll throw up…)

Mufasa


#20

[quote]Jeff R wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
I think the Republican Party has turned into (or become) something that is unrecognizable. Back in the day, the definition of a Republican was pretty clear. Nowadays its hard to figure out what’s going on with them. I am sure that that played a part in his changing parties. That and that he can’t win Pennsylvania.

I’m wondering if we are seeing the Republicans shedding their dead weight.

While I don’t like losing any race, one wonders if it’s part of getting back to principles.

No one can claim specter was much of a Conservative.

I’m thinking they are moving back to the Right.

The recent votes in the Senate/House over the budgets gave me great hope.

JeffR

[/quote]

This is a serious question:

Getting back to what “principles”?

(And if you say “less government”, I’ll throw up…)

Mufasa