Specific Training for BJJ

I have been doing submission wrestling for about 3 years but recently I began doing bjj as well.

It’s not that my grip is failing in any particular way, it’s just in general that it’s not strong enough!

The entire DOMS discussion i’ll leave be, but I appreciate all your replies fellas, and I see alot of good advice!

I especially like your first post xennonve.

At the moment I am doing one or two weeks of crossfit with some shoulder re/prehab exercises, hand,wirst and forearm exercises and some additional core exercises containing one functional movement like med ball side throws and a more traditional movement like a plank or something.

The crossfit wod’s change every time and so do my additional exercises, today i’m goin to do some serratus push ups for my shoulder, isometric neutral wirst holds for time for the wrist and overhead side throws for the rotational functional movement, tomorrow i’ll do something else…

though I am doing it in this way I do
believe that xen nova is on the right track, not to switch around TO much, but my body just seems to respond fastest this way, I might be wrong or i might not, either way this is what keeps me motivated the best…

When I switch from crossfit i go to WB’s hammerdown strength program, 1day on one day off, monday to friday, weekends off as it is with the CF wods since I work nights in the weekends. When I am doing the hammer down program I dont do too much else in the realm of wrist or core work, I still do the shoulder shit though.

Additionally i do a somewhat long and thoughrough warm up consisting of some running and alot of dynamic stretching. After the CF wod i’ll also do a comprehensive rutine of strethcing and mobility drills.

When I’m doing the hammer program I’ll do a smaller version of the flexibility and mobility drills since the program takes alot longer than the CF wod.

So my current program consist of about 2 weeks of conditioning with some specific hand, wrist, forearm and finger, shoulder re/prehab and core exercies, a comprehensive flexiblility and mobility rutine.

Changing to another two weeks of max strength with some scaled down flex and mobility work.

One thing I have been trying to add is some soft tissue work but I haven’t got around to it yet…

if you guys have any advice on any of this it will be appreciated !

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
OMC wrote:
Rock climbing…trust me. Great fun too.

very true. nice avatar btw[/quote]

Thanks…Genki Sudo…awesome fighter. Great entertainer.

OMC

Stick with the basics ie deadlifts, squats bench and heavy pulling excercies. Cario is ok and is needed for sure, but is not as important as the aforementioned.

ph

http://www.graciemag.com/news/150/ARTICLE/10223/2008-04-15.html

Not sure where you are training, but any Gracie BJJ outlet ought to have extensive workout routines available. If you need a detailed BJJ plan just let me know and I will forward one to you or post it on my BJJ blogspot.

Many in Cali

PhDguy - i would appreciate that ! if it’s not to much trouble could you p-mail me ?

Thx alot!
J.

I’ve never done BJJ, but it seems to me that with all the grappling, a “Thor’s Hammer” workout twice a week may improve the OP’s situation.

Any thoughts, or maybe a good routine?

Bump.

I don’t think I read this so–training with a thick bar for various barbell and dumbbell exercises. Most people onlder than six years old have thicker wrists than a barbell bar, so it would behoove you to train for that. I have heard (though never tried personally) that cutting up a pool noodle works quite well to thicken the bar cheaply.

While grippers like Captain of Crush are good, and I have an Ivanko gripper myself (which is very nice http://www.cutleryscience.com/images/ivanko_gripper.jpg ), most gripping that you are doing is isometric, either for hand control, or to grip the body or the head for control (in which case things like rock climbing or pullups on a door frame (where your hand is more or less flat are good exercises.

I have a set of olympic-size dumbbell handles that came with my ez curl bar. As part of my accessory work, I’ll load one side a handle, and use the other end as a thickbar-type grip. I do internal and external wrist rotations and wrist extensions with it. Would the rotational wrist strength developed by this help with grappling?

It probably couldn’t hurt, there is a rotational element in the handfighting that you do while grappling. However, I think your main emphasis should be on isometric grip strength.

If you have access to an axle or farmers handles they help tremendously for grip.
Deadlift and cleans with the axle. You could also use the ‘continental’ technique which will allow you to clean heavier weight.
Also throw a Gi over a chin-up bar and doing Gi chins holding the lapels

You do know George W. was still president when this thread was written, right?

Yeah I realized when I looked at some others, I assumed since it was on the first page is was fresh. Damn this forum is dead lol

Man - I don’t know what first page it was on but it shouldn’t be. This forum is quieter than the others but no way one from that long ago should show up.