Specific Training for BJJ

For grip training with the gi just plain old towel pullups (weighted) work best. No gi, pinch gripping and deadlifts seem to work best. For conditioning I’ve never found anything that works better than crossfit.

Last, if you are new you probably just need to learn to RELAX. Noobs fall into 2 categories in my book, squeezers and spazzers. Either way, they both tire quickly. You have to learn to use technique. The sooner you learn this, the quicker you will learn. Some people go for a long time before they figure this out.

1 Like

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Ok. To sum all that up…

“It works for me cause I hit my muscles from different angles” is your argument? And I have nothing to go on but your reassurance that you are an all-star strength coach.

I’m not even going to bother responding.

To answer the question… soreness is just a sign that you broke down muscle tissue to the point that your body is having a hard time repairing it. It is inflamed, broken down muscle tissue.

Thats it.

progress is putting weight on the bar.

Thats why its called STRENGTH training.[/quote]

I read through my posts and don’t see where I said I was trying to convince you. I didn’t say take my word. The guy posted a thread asking for advice. This is mine and you called it bad. I disagree it’s wrong. Why? because this guy here it worked for. Stop being a dick and just agree to disagree. i’m not being aggressive towards you. I just said my belief on all this. My progression is based on my sport and lifting accomplishments. I have both. Take my word? I don’t give a crap whether you take my word or not. I posted this to help someone out. Even if you were correct and i am wasting my time the way i train, you think you’ll convince me with your short cocky feedback?

I’m a good guy who likes to train hard. I’m just here to share my knowledge. I guess guys like you know it all, so maybe you should just tell us the secret. You seem to know it all. I have made progress and met high expectations. That is all I know. You need to relax on me and open your mind a little. We don’t have to agree. Life is full of people who don’t agree. Get off the soreness thing. you’re feeding into that too much anyways. I just said i am sore often and that feels like a indicator my muscles are bing worked. Am i wrong? I searched the net and found arguements twenty different ways. I’m not here to make you smile. I’m here to learn and help out. Get off your high horse.

[quote]Millhouse340 wrote:
"DOMS is caused by tiny microscopic tears that occur in the muscle as a result of high intensity exercise (such as weight training, intense cycling, etc).
[/quote]

How then, can you account for the soreness one typically experiences from a new routine, versus the lack of soreness later, when loads are much heavier and stimulation is at it’s peak? According to that logic, DOMS should always get worse, not better as we progress and become more capable of generating greater intensity. I haven’t found that to be true!

Tendons attach muscle to bone. Tendons do not attach to muscle in one spot, but as a sheath that covers the end of the muscle. (Think: mesh glove) Tendon sheaths do not have the vascularity that the muscle further away has. Blood transports waste products away from the area worked, but where you have less vascularity, you have more limited ability to remove waste products.

Typically, you feel DOMS the most in the areas closest to the end of the muscle. But the end of the muscle didn’t get more work than the rest of the muscle, nor did it get more stimulation. Rather, that is just the least vascular part of the muscle. Furthermore, most people find DOMS improve or subside if they do some light work the day after a workout. If DOMS were the result of microscopic tears then I would think additional work would only inhibit, not improve recovery and repair.

I wouldn’t interpret soreness as a barometer for the effectiveness of an exercise or a routine. Were that the case, most people would never work shoulders since shoulders seldom continue to get sore once they adapt to heavy work. I would also avoid specific programs or exercises intended merely to produce soreness.

Cappy

You may be right. I was just sharing my routine and idea with the thread owner. I mentioned I am sore often with this type of fitness. I can admit I may be wrong. I’m here to learn as well.

There are so many studies out there on soreness. You make sense in your post. i can’t answer that with great confidence that soreness means anything. I do know my strength is good and muscle endurance is great. Better than ever before.

I understand this is the internet and nobody knows me and can just take my word. I didn’t ask for anyone to believe me. The thread owner asked for some advice. Changing up routine often, but hitting same muscles in different ways is my style.

Does it work, YES IT DOES. How do I know? Did i run this through scientific testing? No, I do it and others with success. Can you take my word for it, no. I’ll keep on keeping on and everyone else do the same. Open your mind a little. I have great lifts and I owe it to changing it up.

I’m not looking for huge lifts. I lift for my sport. If I was lifting for max lifts, then I would definitely spend more time on one particular lift. At times i do. There are plenty of months I involve olympic lifts every week. To keep core strong.

However there are so many different types of exercises that hit the same muscle a different way. To me changing up is right and I know it works. My lifts are very strong and i can recover very quick. That’s was my basis is for this type of training. That’s enough for me.

We’ll just kick dirt here arguing this. I know my results. The soreness statement I can admit i don’t know everything on. Just know there is all kinds of studies on it and is not exactly known. I do not measure my training by sorness. I measure it by lifts,endurance, and overall results I see from it.

I have been doing submission wrestling for about 3 years but recently I began doing bjj as well.

It’s not that my grip is failing in any particular way, it’s just in general that it’s not strong enough!

The entire DOMS discussion i’ll leave be, but I appreciate all your replies fellas, and I see alot of good advice!

I especially like your first post xennonve.

At the moment I am doing one or two weeks of crossfit with some shoulder re/prehab exercises, hand,wirst and forearm exercises and some additional core exercises containing one functional movement like med ball side throws and a more traditional movement like a plank or something.

The crossfit wod’s change every time and so do my additional exercises, today i’m goin to do some serratus push ups for my shoulder, isometric neutral wirst holds for time for the wrist and overhead side throws for the rotational functional movement, tomorrow i’ll do something else…

though I am doing it in this way I do
believe that xen nova is on the right track, not to switch around TO much, but my body just seems to respond fastest this way, I might be wrong or i might not, either way this is what keeps me motivated the best…

When I switch from crossfit i go to WB’s hammerdown strength program, 1day on one day off, monday to friday, weekends off as it is with the CF wods since I work nights in the weekends. When I am doing the hammer down program I dont do too much else in the realm of wrist or core work, I still do the shoulder shit though.

Additionally i do a somewhat long and thoughrough warm up consisting of some running and alot of dynamic stretching. After the CF wod i’ll also do a comprehensive rutine of strethcing and mobility drills.

When I’m doing the hammer program I’ll do a smaller version of the flexibility and mobility drills since the program takes alot longer than the CF wod.

So my current program consist of about 2 weeks of conditioning with some specific hand, wrist, forearm and finger, shoulder re/prehab and core exercies, a comprehensive flexiblility and mobility rutine.

Changing to another two weeks of max strength with some scaled down flex and mobility work.

One thing I have been trying to add is some soft tissue work but I haven’t got around to it yet…

if you guys have any advice on any of this it will be appreciated !

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
OMC wrote:
Rock climbing…trust me. Great fun too.

very true. nice avatar btw[/quote]

Thanks…Genki Sudo…awesome fighter. Great entertainer.

OMC

Stick with the basics ie deadlifts, squats bench and heavy pulling excercies. Cario is ok and is needed for sure, but is not as important as the aforementioned.

ph

http://www.graciemag.com/news/150/ARTICLE/10223/2008-04-15.html

Not sure where you are training, but any Gracie BJJ outlet ought to have extensive workout routines available. If you need a detailed BJJ plan just let me know and I will forward one to you or post it on my BJJ blogspot.

Many in Cali

PhDguy - i would appreciate that ! if it’s not to much trouble could you p-mail me ?

Thx alot!
J.

I’ve never done BJJ, but it seems to me that with all the grappling, a “Thor’s Hammer” workout twice a week may improve the OP’s situation.

Any thoughts, or maybe a good routine?

Bump.

I don’t think I read this so–training with a thick bar for various barbell and dumbbell exercises. Most people onlder than six years old have thicker wrists than a barbell bar, so it would behoove you to train for that. I have heard (though never tried personally) that cutting up a pool noodle works quite well to thicken the bar cheaply.

While grippers like Captain of Crush are good, and I have an Ivanko gripper myself (which is very nice http://www.cutleryscience.com/images/ivanko_gripper.jpg ), most gripping that you are doing is isometric, either for hand control, or to grip the body or the head for control (in which case things like rock climbing or pullups on a door frame (where your hand is more or less flat are good exercises.

I have a set of olympic-size dumbbell handles that came with my ez curl bar. As part of my accessory work, I’ll load one side a handle, and use the other end as a thickbar-type grip. I do internal and external wrist rotations and wrist extensions with it. Would the rotational wrist strength developed by this help with grappling?

It probably couldn’t hurt, there is a rotational element in the handfighting that you do while grappling. However, I think your main emphasis should be on isometric grip strength.

If you have access to an axle or farmers handles they help tremendously for grip.
Deadlift and cleans with the axle. You could also use the ‘continental’ technique which will allow you to clean heavier weight.
Also throw a Gi over a chin-up bar and doing Gi chins holding the lapels

You do know George W. was still president when this thread was written, right?

Yeah I realized when I looked at some others, I assumed since it was on the first page is was fresh. Damn this forum is dead lol

Man - I don’t know what first page it was on but it shouldn’t be. This forum is quieter than the others but no way one from that long ago should show up.