T Nation

Specific Salt Hydration

I’ve been looking more in depth into something I stumbled across, re: proper workout hydration.

There’s not one damn post about it on here, so either no one knows about it, or no one uses it/thinks it works.

Dr. Stacy Sims has worked with some endurance athletes and has some decent research on the subject. If no one knows what I’m talking about I’ll add in the research results in this thread.

As I understand it, she has the best formula for salt/water/sugar ratio for optimal salt and water intake (not so concerned about sugar prior to exercise) for osmosis compared to the salt content of blood. The little research she has been able to do on the subject shows a lower body temp (internal thermo pill, and external heat), more sweat and overall lower body weight/water loss due to better absorption.

So, I need some opinions from others that hopefully are smarter than me.
The sup guideline is only in frail bodies, between 90-150lbs for recommended dosages.

100lb-ers get 1 serving, 150lb+ get 2.5 servings.

Each serving has 6g carbs, mostly glucose, some sucrose for aided absorption.
Also, 1,600mg sodium. Mostly trisodium citrate, slight amount of bicarb.
This is all in 8oz of water, and equals 1 serving.

You’re supposed to take your dose (servings for that body weight) the night before an event, and 30 min prior.

Soooooo…

Do you guys think this has any application to general lifting (preworkout of sorts?), maybe even more beneficial for weight class type contests?

Anyone know how much sodium is too much? I love salt, but I don’t want my heart to explode, or, more specifically someone who weighs 300lbs trying to guestimate a dose. Any ideas on max Na intake since you drink it all at once?

I’m just asking for help trying to extrapolate her own research to people who are over 150lbs, and who perform a different sport than cycling or running.

Let’s see what you guys think. (Google her and you can find the sup I’m talking about)

I think I read somewhere (wow, so helpful) that anything above like 3,500-4,000 can be too much since it’s hard to reach an adequate fill of potassium to keep a good ratio. I wouldn’t be too worried if you are eating lots of mashed potatoes, shakes with bananas, legumes and veggies though.

bu…buu.buu…buuump? Anyone?

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
bu…buu.buu…buuump? Anyone? [/quote]

The amount of Sodium in Plazma helps facilitate the proper hydration of cells to get you those awesome pumps.

From a hypertrophy standpoint I think it has merits for increasing intramuscular pressure resulting in greater pumps/muscle cell volume.

From a performance standpoint better hydration = better performance. I like to drink exclusively Plazma for powerlifting meets. I’ll also use it after weigh ins to hydrate a bit quicker than pedialyte.

There is however a point at which you’re over saturated and just start to leak fluids. Mainly through the exit valves.

I haven’t read anything on plazma, but in comparing these 2 protocols, Plazma has the recommended sodium dosage for a 100lb male… This is according to the research I’ve seen in favor of Dr. Sims procedure. Her protocol only categorizes up to a class of 150lb+, since she only works with cyclists and endurance (though very high level), and few weigh significantly over that. Her 150lb group consumes 4 grams of sodium prior to the event, all basically at once.

The goal of her work is pure hydration, not so much workout nutrition. Her research would say that plazma has way too much in the way of carbs for proper hydration. At about 3% carbs you get as close to blood glucose molality, but under to facilitate osmosis.

The little research she has been able to do shows that you’re able to stay better hydrated (Urine specific gravity), your internal and external body temps are lower from sweating more and tempo worked showed higher min and max wattage [this is all compared to liquid calories, like gatorade or even something similar to Plazma]

Sooo… There’s the pump theory to support this. Any significant importance for hypertrophy/1RM/etc with lower body temps while training?

If you put too much salt in water it will give you explosive diarrhea. A heaping teaspoon in three cups of water on an empty stomach is a powerful laxative.

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
The goal of her work is pure hydration, not so much workout nutrition. Her research would say that plazma has way too much in the way of carbs for proper hydration. At about 3% carbs you get as close to blood glucose molality, but under to facilitate osmosis.
[/quote]

This is VERY simplified, as it depends on the specific type of carbs and their molar mass. You can use a lot more HBCD than glucose for that reason.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
If you put too much salt in water it will give you explosive diarrhea. A heaping teaspoon in three cups of water on an empty stomach is a powerful laxative.[/quote]

I’ve used this several times so far and have had no laxative or any GI issues (and my system is fairly sensitive). The problem comes from chloride ions in basic table salt, there are none in her recommendation. It’s trisodium citrate.

[quote]BiP wrote:

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
[/quote]

This is VERY simplified, as it depends on the specific type of carbs and their molar mass. You can use a lot more HBCD than glucose for that reason.[/quote]

I realize, as is stated in her findings. I’m just referring to optimal hydration, not how much i can consume during a workout in cals. I have no hydration info on HBCD, nor do I think there really is any. Thanks tho.

Guys, I’m really just trying to find the relevance of this and hear your thoughts. I like it all in theory, but until I get some experience with it, it’s all here-say. So far I like it and that’s about it.

Why do you need this advice for?

Are you weightlifting, doing an endurance event, etc? I ask this as I think the answer may depend on what you are doing.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Why do you need this advice for?

Are you weightlifting, doing an endurance event, etc? I ask this as I think the answer may depend on what you are doing.

tweet[/quote]

Weightlifting. I’m assuming I can get a better bloat and better thermoregulation with this. All of which seem to be good things.