T Nation

Specialized 'Steep' Treadmill?

Does anybody make a treadmill that is capable of going steeper than the standard “15”, which seems to be all you can find in commercial gyms? I prefer to do my conditioning outdoors but sometimes you just don’t want to be in the sun, know what I mean? My neighborhood has hills much steeper than the treadmill’s level “15” so, when confined indoors, I find using said treadmill kind of frustrating. The possibility of propping up the front end of a standard treadmill to achieve a steeper incline seems inadvisable as it’s just too dangerous, for the user and the treadmill.

Does anybody know what these numbers that designate a particular incline mean, anyway? Is it a percent grade or just an arbitrary means of seperating different levels of incline or what?

Some of the Woodways go higher, and I think Nautilus sells one that goes to 30 or something like that, but it has a short deck and is primarily designed for walking. Not that you could probably run very fast at that grade anyway.

[quote]myonlyvice wrote:

Does anybody know what these numbers that designate a particular incline mean, anyway? Is it a percent grade or just an arbitrary means of seperating different levels of incline or what?[/quote]

What I’ve heard is that a 15 degree incline, means you will elevate 15 meters per 100 m you run.

NordicTrack has an Incline Trainer. It goes from a -6 to a +40 % incline. Get an iFit subscription and you can run, climb any place on earth. It has Google Maps and you can trace a route or do many of the already programmed workouts.