Specialization for One Lift

Coach Thibs,

I see in the IBB program for bodypart specialization you are training that body part 3 times a week and have 2 other sessions for the rest of the body. I was wondering if you have some guidelines to apply when trying to specialize in one lift.

For example if I wanted to specialize in the squat would you recommend squatting 3 times per week? If so would you ramp up to different reps counts for each session? Would you add a couple more associated movements to help the squat in those sessions? Would you train upper body on two other sessions during the week?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]Seattle_Lifter wrote:
Coach Thibs,

I see in the IBB program for bodypart specialization you are training that body part 3 times a week and have 2 other sessions for the rest of the body. I was wondering if you have some guidelines to apply when trying to specialize in one lift.

For example if I wanted to specialize in the squat would you recommend squatting 3 times per week? If so would you ramp up to different reps counts for each session? Would you add a couple more associated movements to help the squat in those sessions? Would you train upper body on two other sessions during the week?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If you browse through my Thib Q&A and Random thoughts of the day you will see several application of spec programs for one lift.

Take a look at Dan John’s 40-Day Program also.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Seattle_Lifter wrote:
Coach Thibs,

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

If you browse through my Thib Q&A and Random thoughts of the day you will see several application of spec programs for one lift.[/quote]

Thanks. I figured you had probably addressed it before but I hadn’t noticed it.

I saw the push/pull specialization plan you wrote out. Looks really good. I also saw your answer to the question about if any of the training should result in grinding out reps. You mentioned only day 5 for grinding out a competition style 1rm. When I consider my own recovery I could probably be okay on the bench but a lower body lift like a squat or deadlift seems like it would be tough to recover from doing multiple weeks in a row of a 1rm.

I’m considering trying your plan after my next meet but with a 1rm to a dominating rep on day 5 instead of grinding. In case it makes any difference I’m 42 and have over 20 years of consistent lifting experience.

Do you have any thoughts one way or another on that?

Thanks