T Nation

Speaking of pics....

This question is for any of you all that compete or have had professional photos taken. Within the next month or so, I’m going to have some physique photos professionally taken for the first time. I’ve found a good photographer and I think I’ll go with black and white pics. I was just wondering if you have any suggestions for making the pics look as good as possible. Thanks in advance. Stay strong!

I’ve been working as a freelance photographer for a while, and the only way to make the pictures lok as good as possible is to get a good photographer. Lighting, color and positioning are VERY important, they will make or break a picture. Photographers develop an ‘eye’ for composition, look at their previous work and be sure you like it because your work will look the same.

I would suggest, however, that you get color pictures taken. You can always print a color pic in balck and white, but one you have black and white you are stuck with it.

If you do a search (sigh…), you’ll find that this question has been asked a few times before. In particular, Joel Marion gave a very specific and lengthy set of do’s and don’t’s.

Char, I know you guys get frustrated answering questions that have been dealt with before. I searched for an hour and a half on the search engines before posting this thread. I tried searching under Contest photos, photographs, etc and nothing. After your response, I went back and searched again thinking I might’ve missed something. I did find one letter in reader mail in issue #240 that I had previously overlooked that dealt briefly with the topic. I looked for Joel Marion’s article but could not find it. If you happen to know which issue it might’ve been in, I’d appreciate it.

Hi Jack. Thanks for trying the search before posting!

The problem with your search here is that Joel’s advice wasn’t a T-Mag article, it was in a thread posted right here on the forum. If memory serves, Doogie asked for advice on the Picture Forum. The pic and thread should still be up - probably about three pages back. Try there.

(And yes, I agree that this was a tough one to find through a keyword search.)

Guys, I want to thank you for taking the time to offer suggestions. Char- I found the page on the photo forum you were talking about. Thanks to Joel Marion. You helped and didn’t even know it! I’m going to have these pics taken in about 6 weeks. maybe then I’ll post the before and after together on the forum. If you think of any further tips, let me know. Thanx again!