Spartan Training

Here’s a good place to start:

http://www.beastskills.com/ClappingHSPU.htm

I would think that if you ran for 60 to 90 minutes first thing in the AM, then did a 10 to 15 minute EDT session, followed by something like from the link above, a person may be able to approximate the toughness of a Spartan. Three to 5 days per week should be enough.

You aren’t really being serious, right? These guys did hours of weapons training, probably endurance work, and loads of other stuff, pretty much every day of the week.

And when they weren’t training, they were living in conditions that served to harden them further.

The workout you describe might be pretty challenging and also fun to switch in every now and then, but nowhere near Spartan levels.

[quote]Robert P. wrote:
You aren’t really being serious, right? These guys did hours of weapons training, probably endurance work, and loads of other stuff, pretty much every day of the week.

And when they weren’t training, they were living in conditions that served to harden them further.

The workout you describe might be pretty challenging and also fun to switch in every now and then, but nowhere near Spartan levels.[/quote]

Right. The goal is to approach the Spartan ideal given practical considerations the Spartans didn’t have — jobs, and so forth.

OK…

I’m pretty sure that “Spartan toughness” is bred from something more than just being in really good shape.

Don’t get me wrong - I think it’s pretty cute that you think you can [quote]approach the Spartan ideal[/quote] and [quote]approximate the toughness of a Spartan[/quote] by being able to run a lot and do this nifty yet useless trick, while still paying attention to [quote]practical considerations[/quote], but I think you need to pull your head out of your ass on this one.

Only 3-5 days a week? Heck, talk about Spartan inefficiency. You can [quote]approximate[/quote] their entire culture, lifestyle, training, and breeding by cramming 2.5 - 3 hours a day of calisthenics somewhere between waking up to a pot of hot coffee, going to your 9-5 desk job, driving your kids to soccer practice, eating a big 'ol family dinner, catching the latest episode of ‘Lost’ and hitting the hay in your big, soft bed and cuddling with Wifey.

Your post had potential, but come on. Sure, it’s an interesting exercise, and I don’t argue that perhaps we can all learn something from Sparta’s dedication and drive, but don’t cheapen their “ideal” by saying you’ve somehow stumbled across the “Easy Mac” of becoming a Spartan.

If you wanna say you embody the Spartan ideal, then you really do have to live it. Otherwise it’s lame. Really lame, actually, considering the ‘300’ craze right now. My suggestion is that you’d be better off joining the military, but, of course, you wouldn’t want to do that…you just want to play dress up.

So just wait for fucking Halloween.

[quote]conner wrote:
OK…

I’m pretty sure that “Spartan toughness” is bred from something more than just being in really good shape.

Don’t get me wrong - I think it’s pretty cute that you think you can approach the Spartan ideal and approximate the toughness of a Spartan by being able to run a lot and do this nifty yet useless trick, while still paying attention to practical considerations, but I think you need to pull your head out of your ass on this one.

Only 3-5 days a week? Heck, talk about Spartan inefficiency. You can approximate their entire culture, lifestyle, training, and breeding by cramming 2.5 - 3 hours a day of calisthenics somewhere between waking up to a pot of hot coffee, going to your 9-5 desk job, driving your kids to soccer practice, eating a big 'ol family dinner, catching the latest episode of ‘Lost’ and hitting the hay in your big, soft bed and cuddling with Wifey.

Your post had potential, but come on. Sure, it’s an interesting exercise, and I don’t argue that perhaps we can all learn something from Sparta’s dedication and drive, but don’t cheapen their “ideal” by saying you’ve somehow stumbled across the “Easy Mac” of becoming a Spartan.

If you wanna say you embody the Spartan ideal, then you really do have to live it. Otherwise it’s lame. Really lame, actually, considering the ‘300’ craze right now. My suggestion is that you’d be better off joining the military, but, of course, you wouldn’t want to do that…you just want to play dress up.

So just wait for fucking Halloween.[/quote]

Wow! Did you try the handstand clap pushups and fall down? Is that why you’re grumpy?

Tell you what — try it tomorrow. Run 90 minutes, do a 15 minute EDT (say, benches and rows), then do 4 or 5 HS clappers.

Not to monkey pile here…but you could run for 90 minutes and do ABBH training or any other routine found in T-Nation…and get in great shape…and delvolpe a certain level of “toughness”.

However…to get the mindset of a Spartan/Warrior comes from the heart and is for the most part either innate or daily application of changing your mindset…but that is no guarantee of success. Either you have it, or you don’t. Some are born with a ruthless mindset and developed to a higher degree over time, or they don’t.

That is why some are destined for greatness as a SEAL, Green Beret etc. and others sit and watch those on TV, and say…gosh it would be cool.

Warrior on brother…warrior on…

Join me at Marine Corps OCS in Quantico, Virginia for the Summer…

Oh god here we go. Spartan this, spartan that. Just because of the latest hit movie.

Why do people feel the need to cling to such things?

Why not just be the best YOU can be?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Join me at Marine Corps OCS in Quantico, Virginia for the Summer…[/quote]

HAH! You mean where you get the weekends off?

Try BOOT CAMP for the Marine Corps, you ROTC junkie! You damn butter bars, always trying to act hard…

(j/k Semper Fi)

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Oh god here we go. Spartan this, spartan that. Just because of the latest hit movie.

Why not just be the best YOU can be? [/quote]

Your fucking pathetic… maybe because its cool to not have our heads up our ass?

I hope your raped by spartan look alikes next time you go for a walk.

Oh and also watch the Southpark episode “Smug Alert”, and then reevaluate your life.

[quote]Eickst wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Join me at Marine Corps OCS in Quantico, Virginia for the Summer…

HAH! You mean where you get the weekends off?

Try BOOT CAMP for the Marine Corps, you ROTC junkie! You damn butter bars, always trying to act hard…

(j/k Semper Fi)
[/quote]lol

I’m not in ROTC. I’m in the PLC program. I have no school-time commitment to the military, so I can train and live the way I want to. 10 weeks of training this Summer, followed by my senior year at Penn State, and then I’ll commission as a 2nd Lt. upon graduation. After that, I’ll go back to Quantico for 6 months of TBS and then I’ll be shipped off to who knows where.

I think you should write a book about this innovative idea.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
[/quote]

Oh, come on, it’s much better than Sound of Music this, Sound of Music that.

Because the vast majority of people are followers…‘monkey see, monkey do’.

[quote]
Why not just be the best YOU can be? [/quote]

Sure, but the sad fact is that most people’s lives suck so much ass they’d rather spend a good deal of their day fantasizing.

And, to be the best they can be they’d have to …gasp…work hard, really fucking hard in a lot of cases. And for most, that just isn’t gonna happen.

SPARTA!!! haha.

It’s all about mentality. For example, the amount of lifting I do (6 days a week) make people scream “heresy” and “overtraining”. The sad thing is, I know it would be overtraining for people like that-the weak-willed and lazy.

[quote]Bizmark wrote:
Sxio wrote:

Why not just be the best YOU can be?

Your fucking pathetic… maybe because its cool to not have our heads up our ass?

I hope your raped by spartan look alikes next time you go for a walk.

Oh and also watch the Southpark episode “Smug Alert”, and then reevaluate your life.[/quote]

Hahaha. You hope I was raped after that? You fail life!

So how many spartan tattoos do you have? Do you even have any greek heritage?

If you train REALLY hard you can maybe even be 1/10th of a real spartan warrior! And you can buy the lunchbox and the t-shirt and everything!

I see 300 has it’s impact , I hope some people other then Tmen were that heavily brainwashed by that :\

Some of you aren’t old enough to appreciate this, but this new spartan fad is nothing compared to the ninja craze in the 80’s.

You can’t imagine how annoying that shit was!

PS: To become a super spartan I suggest:
90-100 min run
15-20 EDT
Training 4-6 days a week
Handstand and chin up claps

PS#2: I wonder when the first set of “business” books with a spartan theme will come out.

The sales of samurai and commando business books have slowed down.

PS#3: I’m not a violent person, but if I meet another lawyer or business exec that tells me that “Art of War” is a must read - I’m going to have to slap a bitch.

Spartan training anyone ? join the French Foreign Legion. maybe you can be a Legionnaire with a Spartan Nom de Guerre. and…you can proudly tattoo “Legio Patria Nostra” on the favorit bodypart of your choosing.

"When interviewed, post-show, she confessed that she was a mother of 2, worked full-time during the day, and devoted only 1-2 hours/night during the week to her salad dressing business. “People are always shocked when they hear about how I’ve grown the business” she stated in the interview. “But you’d be amazed by how much you can accomplish with 1-2 hours of directed effort performed consistently 4-5 nights a week, every week.”

This is a great testimony to the power of directed effort. You don’t always need a ton of time to get in shape, to grow your business, to pursue a new hobby. This woman spent merely 5-10 hours per week, or 250-520 hours per year (the equivalent of 5-10 50 hour work weeks) on her business. But what you do need is quality, purposeful effort, consistently performed."
— Dr. John Berardi

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1455617

Exactly! I reckon with about 2 hours of training a day you could perform any of the feats of a shoalin monk. Yeah, it doesn’t really take that much effort to get up the physical and mental standard of a ninja or a samurai.

Seriously though, this sudden amazing love for spartans is incredibly transparent. It’ll go away when a film about the mighty onslaught of the ottoman armies or ghengis khan etc comes out.