Spartan Racing

Does anyone here do them? If so what does your training look like through the week?

What spartan race is it? Sprint, Super or Beast? your training will really depend on which distance you are running. I have done a Sprint and 2 Beasts. The sprint was fun but the Beasts are tough and require alot of endurance like climbing mtns for hours.

I’ve looked into them. There is one 20 min from my house at a Ski Slope. I thought it would be doable since I was doing 5-6 miles 3x a week. A friend did it the year before and didn’t like it for the following reasons:

Entry fee was high
Parking sucked
Parking was not free
Ended up waiting at stations during the race
Charged his wife and children a spectator fee to watch

Mostly money based reasons but I can run a local 5k for $25 that the proceeds go to a local non-profit organization and get a shirt to boot.

doublelung everything you wrote here is correct. They are now just looking for all the money they can get. It is a big undertaking with all the stuff they need to set up and tear down but since they partnered with Reebok it is all about the almight dollar now.

For those of you who have completed a Spartan Race, Tough Mudder ,or Ranger Run , what was your choice in footwear? Thanks

[quote]idaho wrote:
For those of you who have completed a Spartan Race, Tough Mudder ,or Ranger Run , what was your choice in footwear? Thanks[/quote]

I did a Spartan Sprint. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Parking was free and ample, no waiting at stations etc.

Regarding shoes, I wore my regular trail running shoes (NB Minimus Trail) and found they were fine. None of the climbing elements were anywhere near technical enough to require special footwear consideration.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]idaho wrote:
For those of you who have completed a Spartan Race, Tough Mudder ,or Ranger Run , what was your choice in footwear? Thanks[/quote]

I did a Spartan Sprint. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Parking was free and ample, no waiting at stations etc.

Regarding shoes, I wore my regular trail running shoes (NB Minimus Trail) and found they were fine. None of the climbing elements were anywhere near technical enough to require special footwear consideration.
[/quote]

Thanks, brother, I want to do the beast when I am back stateside and since I have to plan things 6 months in advance, I was trying to find out a much as possible. One thing I noticed about their websites, they look good, but, really short on substance. And I not spending $ 70 USD for a Tee shirt!:)) I am surprised CrossFit hasn’t sued them for their version of “Spartan Training” WOD. Stay Sharp

Anyone familiar with the “Battle Frog Races”? I am planning on being back in the States for a few weeks in March and was going to complete a Spartan race. This race is also going to be in my area around the same time. They appear to be very similar, anyone with any experience? Thanks.

battlefrogseries.com

Go check out the Green Beret Challenge and Primal Instincts Survival Training. Its put on by former Special Forces operators. Best of luck.

[quote]wilson1 wrote:
Go check out the Green Beret Challenge and Primal Instincts Survival Training. Its put on by former Special Forces operators. Best of luck.[/quote]

Thank you.

idaho, regarding shoes, everyone I know who has done one of these races has recommended wearing old training shoes that you don’t mind getting rid of. Depending on the race, there’s a fair chance they’ll be covered in muck/mud by the end, and many people even lose shoes at some point. The Tough Mudder down here even has big bins at the end to throw your shoes into at the end of the event, that are cleaned and then go to charity. Good luck, Rob

Idaho, I have ran several different obstacle course races (OCRs) but have never ran the battle frog one. I am already registered to run one next year and am excited to see how it goes. Some OCRs are better organized than others and some have more challenging obstacles than others, so you never know what you get until you run it. I have high expectations with the battle frog based on their web site so I hope I am not disappointed. I have run a Spartan sprint and the battle frog does look similar, if their website is to be believed.

As far as shoes. I recommend using an old pair of running shoes or training shoes for your first race. Like justrob said, they will be muddy and wet when done with the race. And you may just want to throw them away. If you enjoy the obstacle race and plan on doing more, then invest in a good pair of shoes. No since in spending $100 for a pair of shoes, and then find out OCRs aren’t really for you. If you get hooked, like I did, then invest in a good pair of trail running shoes.

I shopped around and ended up getting Salomon Speedcross 3 trail running shoes. I like them, but do not really like the quick lace feature. Whatever you pick make sure they do not hold water as after running through mud puddles and water you want something that drains water. Make sure they can be easily washed, aren’t too heavy, and have good traction. Speaking of holding water, one mistake I made my first race was to wear socks and clothing made with cotton. Once they got wet they were heavy and uncomfortable. Doing burpees with a pair of heavy, water laden shorts was not fun! Make sure all your clothing will not hold water.

There is a web site mudrunguide that offers discounts on a lot of races. It also has a map/list of many OCRs. They also recommend some gear/clothing and even have shoes they recommend, Ice bug or invo-8 I think. On most races prices go up the closer you get to the event so the earlier your register the cheaper it is. OCRs are kind of expensive (particularly the national chain one’s,) especially when they add on insurance, parking, and a ridiculous spectator fee. I signed up for several races I am planning on running next year on Black Friday/cyber Monday, so some OCRs might have Christmas specials going on.

[quote]idaho wrote:
Anyone familiar with the “Battle Frog Races”? I am planning on being back in the States for a few weeks in March and was going to complete a Spartan race. This race is also going to be in my area around the same time. They appear to be very similar, anyone with any experience? Thanks.

battlefrogseries.com [/quote]

I did a battlefrog race in November, it was the 8 km race (5 miles). What I noticed with battlefrog compared to something like a mud run or tough mudder is that in battlefrog the emphasis is in the challenge of the obstacles. Battlefrog doesn’t try to get you as muddy as possible for the sake of it. Also, grip strength and good strength endurance is very important.

Thank you very much for the information.

Thank you, Battlefrog is definitely something I am going to do.

This is a decent article on the growing world wide popularity of the Spartan Races. The Ultra Beast appears to be a ass kicker. Due to scheduling conflicts getting back to the states, I have yet to complete a Spartan Race or a BattleFrog. Anyone out there completed a Ultra Beast?

I watched one on TV the other day and I was thinking that the course they were running would kick my ass.