Spartacus Dies of Cancer

‘Spartacus’ star Whitfield dies of lymphoma at 39

The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, Sep. 11, 2011 - 5:49 pm
LOS ANGELES – Andy Whitfield, the 39-year-old star of the cable series “Spartacus: Blood and Sand,” has died.

Manager Sam Maydew says Whitfield died Sunday of non-Hodgkin Lymphoma in Sydney, Australia.
Whitfield’s wife Vashti in a statement called her husband a “beautiful young warrior” who died on a “sunny Sydney morning” in the “arms of his loving wife.”

Whitfield - who was born in Wales and lived in Australia - was a virtual unknown when he was cast as the title hero in “Spartacus,” a hit original series for the Starz network that made waves with its graphic violence and sexuality.

Whitfield was preparing for the second season when he was diagnosed 18 months ago.

In January the network announced that another Australian actor, Liam McIntyre, would take over the role.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/09/11/390#ixzz1XhFnPXOc

Wow, this just really makes me sad.

Beautiful talented man.
so young.

Damn I feel all sentimental right now… let us all be grateful for what we have, shall we?

Anyone else think this was going to be Kirk Douglas?

damn, I thought he was gonna make it… very sad indeed, I’m gonna miss him for sure.

I’m thinking about sending this link about to someone who posted in his FB “Cancer is the easiest disease to prevent, all you have to do is optimize your blood sugar and insulin levels.” few weeks ago.

Rest in peace, good man.

Damn…

39… leaving a wife and 2 kids behind…

Life is short & hard.

R.I.P.

Very sad indeed. Cancer sucks.

RIP.

"Whitfield’s wife Vashti in a statement called her husband a “beautiful young warrior” who died on a “sunny Sydney morning” in the “arms of his loving wife.”

=(

RIP Andy

RIP Brother, you will be missed.

Just heard the news and came here to post it. Hard to believe when you watch him onscreen that he would be gone just a couple of years after filming that. He looked invincible.

Treasure every day.

Absolutely gutted. Just saw this on the BBC news site. He was a fine piece of male totty and he could have gone on to such good things after Spartacus. RIP.

The dude was an inspiration. Sorry to see him go. RIP.

a sad sad day for all of us spartacus fans

He was gorgeous, a great actor, and seemed like he was really finally coming into his own. He’ll be missed.

[quote]Edevus wrote:
I’m thinking about sending this link about to someone who posted in his FB “Cancer is the easiest disease to prevent, all you have to do is optimize your blood sugar and insulin levels.” few weeks ago.

Rest in peace, good man.

[/quote]

I’d like to claw the posters eyes out.

Blood cancers are a bitch. My dad just passed away from Leukemia a few weeks ago. Always took care of himself, non smoker, good diet, exercised…

Shit, if Dexter dies next I’m eating a gun.

All the best television gets fucked.

[quote]Christine wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

Rest in peace, good man.

[/quote]

I’d like to claw the posters eyes out.

Blood cancers are a bitch. My dad just passed away from Leukemia a few weeks ago. Always took care of himself, non smoker, good diet, exercised…[/quote]

He was a friend (we argued a lot about this comment he did). He’s young and too naive. I lost my cousin and my mother’s best friend to cancer when I was very young. It was the first time I learned about death and it scarred me.

Man,this fucking sucks.

Very sad news indeed. I had hoped he was gonna beat back the cancer but, unfortunately, another good man was claimed.

Rest well Spartacus…you fought bravely.

I’m not normally too bothered when i hear of the passing of a celebrity, but this is different.

He was so young, very talented and although i certainly didnt know him personally. He genuinely seemed like a good person. I am genuinely saddened by this news. RIP Andy and my condolences to his family