T Nation

Sparring Vids-Thoughts on My Technique

These are Two vids of me sparring.
1st one with cliff ( superheavyweight ) I'm in headgear
2nd one with sam ( lightheavyweight ) I'm the one with yellow board shorts on.

I am around 78 kilos and would have to fight out of lightheavyweight. Id be around the middle of that division i guess 76-81 kg.

Any thoughts on my boxing would be very much appreciated.

Links : 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6re_KvF9rQE

My thoughts are:

Lose your balance, especially when you throw your right hand, reaching.

When you are close you feet come close to being parallel, sometimes you right foot steps in to the point you are standing southpaw.

When you jab and step off to your left, your back foot is crossing over first. If you took a right hand at that moment you would go down simply because you would not have the balance to stay upright.

I think there are a few other things if I watch it again.

Also at 78kg your movement appears a bit lethargic. Have you considered going to a lighter weight class? I think that is something to think about.

yeah im really flat footed and rely alot on punching my way out of bad situations. Definatly am considering making it to middleweight. But in term of lethargy we do our sparring after an hour and a half of coniditioning,skipping and punching drills. Still no excuse

You are walking into his power hand a lot, and you also move back too much when you're hit. Step back once, maybe twice, then sidle around away from his power shot or into his power hand but out of range. If he tries to cut you off, you know what is coming.

But more importantly the stuff mentioned above.

Definitely work on your footwork and balance as Otoko mentioned above.

Your recovery is also slow (meaning that you kind of leave your hands out there after you punch, leaving you open to a counter punch). Work on getting your hands back to your head ("re-covering") as fast as they go out away from your head to punch.

Work on your set-ups. You never once used any type of fakes, broken rhythm, or other types of set-ups. You always simply throw your lead off technique, and usually your opponent knows when it's coming.

Circle him.
I find you bring your head too down when you punch.
No combos. All you do is "1-2" or just one hit.

You don't look too bad... you look like a beginner.

Too many steps back, especially when he flurried back. I'm not someone who says that you should never go backwards, but there's a time and a place. While getting hit isn't it.

You do look very flatfooted. Fight more on the balls on your feet... it's hard to get used to, but you can do it. I was a flat footed puncher who started changing things when I figured out that I didn't like getting hit all that much.

And... ahh... learn another combo besides the 1-2. Maybe a double jab?

Just some thoughts.

Thanks for all the advice guys. The main coach at our gym has no idea what he is talking about most of the time. He told me i have to change my alwayse comeforeward style but as you can see in the second video i hardly go forward at all and am off balance half the time because of it.
Time for some shadow boxing and combo drills i think haha.

Especially the set-ups idea.

Along the lines of leaving your hands out, when you punch him he covers when he comes at you you need to make sure you do the same. Ex. Keep your left hand up (3:35ish of first video)

Only watched the first vid, but you do appear open for a right hand counter everytime you throw a jab...i had a guy do that to me relentlessly, and I hated it (throw a big right over the top of my jab,) but it did teach me to feint and double up on the jab after he rang my bell a few times.

Good advice up here ^ I always give the advice, simple as it sounds, to just try to hit the open spot. The fella you were fighting was kinda clever about sliding his head back away from your right hand. However, in doing that, he left his body open to a right hand. Instead of forcing an over the top right, just throw that right hook to the body and get him to stop leaning back. Then you can land the right up top at will.

This advice about movement though is the biggest key for your development. You tend to go straight in and then stay there. Attack for sure, but then move off angles a bit. Practice pivot steps and slide steps to get this done. Also, when he attacks, work on countering off his punches a bit better. Two things on this: First, when you see him coming, focus on moving sideways (esp away from his power hand). Second, drill a counter reaction. So when his jab touches you, you know he's open to the right hand counter. Practing catching that jab very lightly and returning very lightly over and over. Btw, it takes guts to post a vid like that. Good work!

Yeah ive got alot ot work on and a fight coming up on april 14th. Im going to just focus on technique as much as i can but our boxing gym essentially operates and a fitness class with sparring at the end of it which annoys me as people who are genuine about boxing competitively are snubbed because we dont have a fulltime boxing technique coach.

There's a lot of great advice posted above by a lot of guys who know far more than me, so I'm not going to muck it up by giving advice on technique. My thoughts are this.

If what you say abut your gym is true (it's glorified cardio) then GET OUT! and find a gym with a good instructor.

Secondly get out of those sneakers and go barefoot or get some boxing/wrestling shoes. I noticed this helped me a LOT when I started feeling flat footed. Also a carb drink will help with energy.

I don't got much to say but definately takes balls to post a vid up here of your fighting.

Yeah I agree with the above statement.

coach gets pissy when i go barefoot.... im kind of restricted in clubs.. i go to school and catch a bus home and this is the only gym within a 30 to 40 km radius. Thanks for the advice all yet again. Im going to train hard for this fight even if it means im going to learn most of my technique at home. I want to fight so bad haha.

Can you wear wrestling/boxing shoes during class? If so, those would be a better choice than sneakers IMO.

"Learning" technique at home is a bad idea in most cases (unless you are very, very good at visual learning, or have a very solid base to work from). You need to have someone qualified actually teach you the techniques to begin with. Once you know them, then practicing/mastering them on your own/at home isn't a bad idea though.

Also, be careful where you are getting your information about technique. There is a lot of bad stuff on youtube (some really good stuff though). Check out this thread for some good instructional vids:

Finally, you need to get some drills to teach you strategy. You can have great technique (which you definitely should develop), but if you don't know how to apply those techniques effectively, they won't be of nearly as much help. Also, quality is better than quantity IMO. Someone with 1 or 2 really solid techniques and a good understanding of strategy/how to use them effectively will easily beat someone with tons of not so great techniques but no understanding of how to effectively utilize them.

I know a bit about wrestling, next to nil about boxing (though I've sparred -- badly -- before), so I'll echo the previous sentiment about not mucking things up w/my bad advice. As others have said, though, takes guts to put a vid like that up. Appreciated the honest spirit in which it was offered (no "Look at me!") and the responses given. Actually instructive. Refreshing.

sento is right on the money with his post

great thread. I won't comment cause I watched about 3 minutes hoping you'd leg kick the guy before I realized you were boxing.

but it is obvious that you're just beginning. still good shit. Just painfully obvious that you need some good coaching. Not sure who it was above that advised this but yes you need to mix up your combos. Everything you did "wrong" just comes with experience... lots of good advice on this thread though.

only thing i will say is that as soon as you get hit you like to bounce out of range and reset. That's going to eat up a lot of energy. If you're already inside, and you already took a hit, fucking punish him then bounce out if you want to. Otherwise if he really wants to, he hits you twice and boom you're on the run, completely defensive, and he can just unload if he really wanted to.

If you're going to retreat like that, don't just jump backwards...retreat with a double jab, or step back, PIVOT 90degrees and double jab.

I know it's not Muay thai but that jump back shit gets you headkicked.

thats my 5cents (inflation)