Sparring Fight Club Style

I just met this guy at the gym that I hadn’t seen for years, he’s very friendly but pretty intense. We both happen to be training at the same MMA gym on different schedules, and he asked me if I wanted to join his sparring group that he runs with his buddies. Apparently they just meet and duke it out in full contact fights with gloves, mouth piece and helmet.

It sounded pretty cool but he started telling me about how big and crazy his buddies were, and he’s actually pretty nuts himself lol. Not just because he has good mma experience, but he also seems pretty aggressive and reckless. I don’t know how safe it is to spare in such an environment.

I picked up Muay thai and combat submission wrestling recently, I’ve got the base down but I don’t know if I’m ready for all-out sparring. That said, I like a challenge and it would probably help me improve very fast. Fighting for real will always beat working an heavy bag right?

What do you guys think? Am I just gonna get knocked the fuck out and should pass on it at least for a while, or should I try my luck?

Thanks

Number one rule of fight training is to stay safe. If you break something and are benched for a few months you’re way worse off than if you passed up your friends sparring sessions.

This is the same reason I refuse to spar most of my friends who are interested in it.

They are reckless, they don’t care about injury, and they think a fight should last until someone is knocked out, or incapable to fight.

They want to fight gloveless, with no mouthguard or cock protection.
Fuck that.

Actually I mentionned gloves and mouth guard. Otherwise it wouldn’t even be an option honestly lol. But I see where you’re going and I agree.

Informal sparring groups tend to be clinics on how to get out of training for months at a time.

So, if you have some XBox to catch up on, I’d be all over that.

Be smart. Don’t do it.

you might have to do it to get it out of your system… i did that in like jr. high lol

sounds like a bunch of guys that want an excuse to beat each other up to boost egos.
this is not training its backyard brawlas
I did the exact same thing when I was about 15

It depends on how bad ass you are, I personally would not do it. :wink:

[quote]Vash wrote:
Informal sparring groups tend to be clinics on how to get out of training for months at a time.

So, if you have some XBox to catch up on, I’d be all over that.[/quote]

Beautiful.

Good posts guys, I’m gonna pass like you all suggested. I guess I was kind of curious because you always wanna know if your training has produced anything, but I’ll wait until I’ve learned a bit more and then try sparring classes at my gym. With other students. And coaches :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks

Good call Kataklysm. Ive hurt myself enough in regular training with guys who know what they are doing despite making an effort to keep each other healthy.

P.S. you will undoubtedly get the chance to test your skill the next time one of your buddies get drunk enough and want to “test your skills”

I still do… you would think they would learn after 10th time getting guilloteaned… but no.

would be really funny if you bring a buddy who’s a ringer and he just goes in and ruins everyone’s shit. Then gives them a little talk about how that shit is stupid.

Make your decision based on your goals.
If you want to become a pro then give it a try, sparring with different people can be useful.
Otherwise,avoid it.

[quote]Horazio wrote:
If you want to become a pro then give it a try, sparring with different people can be useful.
Otherwise,avoid it.[/quote]

I agree whole-heartedly with sparring with as diverse a group of people as possible.

The situation the OP described, though, is NOT a sparring session; it’s an aborted ego-stroking-turned-injury-fest. The concept itself is ridiculous. Fight Club was an excellent book, a decent movie. The “fights,” though, are exceptionally dangerous while providing a minimum of technique and skill-progression opportunity, since there will be those out to put over on someone else, and those looking to learn a little without hurting anyone.

Bad combination.

[quote]Vash wrote:
Horazio wrote:
Otherwise,avoid it.

I agree whole-heartedly with sparring with as diverse a group of people as possible.

The situation the OP described, though, is NOT a sparring session; it’s an aborted ego-stroking-turned-injury-fest. The concept itself is ridiculous. Fight Club was an excellent book, a decent movie. The “fights,” though, are exceptionally dangerous while providing a minimum of technique and skill-progression opportunity, since there will be those out to put over on someone else, and those looking to learn a little without hurting anyone.

Bad combination.[/quote]

Aye. Last I heard, Chuck Palanuik wasn’t kickin’ shit outta young lads 'round the back of a dumpster.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
would be really funny if you bring a buddy who’s a ringer and he just goes in and ruins everyone’s shit. Then gives them a little talk about how that shit is stupid. [/quote]

I vote for this idea

Guys like this guy are one of the reasons I’m glad to be out of the MMA business. Every swinging dick out there that gets some classes under his belt thinks that he needs to buy affliction shirts, and have “fight clubs”. The ones that get “pretty crazy” are the ones that don’t have any self control, which is a mark of a technical weak fighter.

Don’t screw around with these guys. They’re wanna be badasses.

Guys like this are also why we see a lot of sub standard fighters today. I am shocked to see how technically lacking a lot of the guys in some of the major fight shows are. I understand that these shows are “business”, and thats cool, but they’re pulling in guys that are more spectacle than fighter.

Spend your time with technically competent guys. There is no need to go in and be fodder for some clowns like this guy.

Sparring isn’t about fighting pissed off guys that are over the top on adrenaline. You should be trying to apply techniques with like minded people who are concerned for your safety. Besides, the first rule of fight club is . . .