T Nation

Spanish Gym Translations

Like any decent Texan, I know enough Spanish to tell if someone’s cursing at me, and to remind them their mother’s a goat-sucking whore in kind. However, I need more.Roughly half the free-weight side of my gym is either spanish-only or spanish-predominant, and I need translations of the following words in Spanish to discover whether or not a given piece of equipment is in use.

Squat Rack
Squat Cage
Bench Press
Bar(bell)
Plate (as in, forty-five pound plate)

bonus points for ‘Can you spot me bro?’

Thus far I’ve been using the Point+SayGibberish method, and they kinda get what I’m talking about, but if I could use actual nouns in my sentences, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance, all my polyglotted bretheren of the Iron.

TETAS O VETE ALA VERGA


C’mon guys, this is really important. It’s gotta be at least as important as that Cosgrove-King beef, and that thread’s stayed on the first page for the entire frigging week.

Wow I really love that picture, that look of I am going to fuck you so hard or I am going to cut you so hard.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Like any decent Texan, I know enough Spanish to tell if someone’s cursing at me, and to remind them their mother’s a goat-sucking whore in kind. However, I need more.Roughly half the free-weight side of my gym is either spanish-only or spanish-predominant, and I need translations of the following words in Spanish to discover whether or not a given piece of equipment is in use.

Squat Rack
Squat Cage
Bench Press
Bar(bell)
Plate (as in, forty-five pound plate)

bonus points for ‘Can you spot me bro?’

Thus far I’ve been using the Point+SayGibberish method, and they kinda get what I’m talking about, but if I could use actual nouns in my sentences, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance, all my polyglotted bretheren of the Iron.[/quote]

http://translate.google.com/#es|en|

Works wonders, enough that you’ll get your point across: its not always spot on, but is like 90% of the way there.

i can speaky espanich as well as any mexican, but i dont know the terms for exercises or equipment. if nobody beats me to it, ill investigate and let you know.

Puedo sí su tarjeta de residencia

Me temo que tendré que deportar a usted y su familia. Triste

These 2 are the most important you can learn

Last but not least

Usted está escoria. Soy blanco y todos los spics debería ser colgado en una cruz en llamas.

Last on will get you a spot any day of the week!!

ENJOY! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]marathe wrote:

[quote]Otep wrote:
Like any decent Texan, I know enough Spanish to tell if someone’s cursing at me, and to remind them their mother’s a goat-sucking whore in kind. However, I need more.Roughly half the free-weight side of my gym is either spanish-only or spanish-predominant, and I need translations of the following words in Spanish to discover whether or not a given piece of equipment is in use.

Squat Rack
Squat Cage
Bench Press
Bar(bell)
Plate (as in, forty-five pound plate)

bonus points for ‘Can you spot me bro?’

Thus far I’ve been using the Point+SayGibberish method, and they kinda get what I’m talking about, but if I could use actual nouns in my sentences, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance, all my polyglotted bretheren of the Iron.[/quote]

http://translate.google.com/#es|en|

Works wonders, enough that you’ll get your point across: its not always spot on, but is like 90% of the way there.
[/quote]

The reason I didn’t go to a translator first is because I have no independant way of verifying it. I mean, even in English, a ‘Rack’ could be found a) in a gym b) in a kitchen c) in a torture chamber d) on a woman. Translations of the same word are sometimes different based on the meaning (gratis vs. libertad). I mean, I’m ‘getting my point across’ with pointing and English- I’d like a technique a little more nuanced.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Like any decent Texan, I know enough Spanish to tell if someone’s cursing at me, and to remind them their mother’s a goat-sucking whore in kind. However, I need more.Roughly half the free-weight side of my gym is either spanish-only or spanish-predominant, and I need translations of the following words in Spanish to discover whether or not a given piece of equipment is in use.

Squat Rack
Squat Cage
Bench Press
Bar(bell)
Plate (as in, forty-five pound plate)

bonus points for ‘Can you spot me bro?’

Thus far I’ve been using the Point+SayGibberish method, and they kinda get what I’m talking about, but if I could use actual nouns in my sentences, that would be even better.

Thanks in advance, all my polyglotted bretheren of the Iron.[/quote]

Barbell: Haltera

Bench press: Banco de la prensa

Squat rack: Jaula de sentadillas

Weight plate: Placa de peso, you could just say pesos though. The weights are 45[cuarenta y cinco], 35[treinta y cinco], 30[treinta], 25[veinticinco], 20[veinte], 15[qunice], 10[dice], and five[cinco].

If you want to ask someone to spot you just say something like “ayuda con banco de la prensa”.


Okay, google translator gives me the following: I’d appreciate if someone who can’t translate could at least verify that the phrases make sense

Squat Rack: Juala de Sentadillas
Squat Cage: Juala de Sentadillas tambien
Bench Press: Prensa de banco
Barbell: Barra (o barra con pesas)
Plate: placa, plato, o plancha.

Barbell makes sense- the others may just be too jargon-specific to make translators much use. Anyone can weigh in on whether these phrases are correct?

Golden Gloves: You’re the MAAANNNN!

Just didn’t see your post in time.

I award you the pictures of Michelle Rodriguez currently in this thread, and virtue, which is its own reward.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Golden Gloves: You’re the MAAANNNN!

Just didn’t see your post in time.

I award you the pictures of Michelle Rodriguez currently in this thread, and virtue, which is its own reward.[/quote]

No problem. I’m sure about everything other than squat rack, to be honest I don’t use Spanish much while in the gym and can’t quite remember what it’s. If you want you could just point to it and say “Que es eso” next time you’re in the gym.

I’ve trained at gyms in the depths of Mexico and usually get away with “Alguien esta utilizando esto?” while pointing. To get help i’ll just say “Puedes ayudarme?” I agree with golden gloves… Just ask if you really want to know.