T Nation

Spaghetti Anyone?

I really like spaghetti and it’s really easy for me to make when I need a meal. However, when I looked at a packet it said it had 252 grams of carbs. I don’t really know much about carbs but that sounds like a lot and I’m not sure if that could be bad to have that much very often. Are there certain times that would be better to eat spaghetti or anything like that?

It depends on your goals but I think 95% of people here would consider that bad for them. If you are going to eat pasta make sure you are at least getting the whole grain kind.

Also if you are going to make it try to mix meat in with it. You want as much protein as possible in each meal. Lastly, if you are going to eat pasta, do it after your work out.

You could also try spaghetti squash for a lower carb pasta type dish.

if you are bulking up and are over 200 pounds and bulk with a 1000~ cal surplus or so then ~150 grams of spaghetti post workout is fine.

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
if you are bulking up and are over 200 pounds and bulk with a 1000~ cal surplus or so then ~150 grams of spaghetti post workout is fine.[/quote]

I’m trying to gain weight and just under 200 pounds.

well there is no one perfect number. experiment, and if you dont care for gaining fat then eat carbs with every meal

I like carbs :slight_smile:

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
well there is no one perfect number. experiment, and if you dont care for gaining fat then eat carbs with every meal [/quote]

I mainly just want to get stronger but need the size to do so. I dont’ care a lot if I gain some fat but I don’t want to gain a lot.

depends what you mean by a lot. you wont look like a 300lb guy, but if you eat carbs with most meals kinda like i do you probably will gain a belly… not a big one, and unless you care much about taking another month or two to diet off(so the problem is time) then the only problem really is looking a bit worse… but girls usually dont mind a small belly anyway. its a big belly with no muscle that they mind.

what is a “packet” of spaghetti ?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
what is a “packet” of spaghetti ?[/quote]

Package?

oh…o.k.

I just looked at the label from some whole wheat pasta I’ve got , and the carbs are at 41 grams per 2 oz.(dry) serving . I probably eat 2 servings when I eat spaghetti , coming to 80 grams not including sauce .

so maybe your 252 grams is for the whole package ?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
oh…o.k.

I just looked at the label from some whole wheat pasta I’ve got , and the carbs are at 41 grams per 2 oz.(dry) serving . I probably eat 2 servings when I eat spaghetti , coming to 80 grams not including sauce .

so maybe your 252 grams is for the whole package ?[/quote]

Yeah, I was saying the whole package.

take out the spaghetti, substitute in green peas/greenbeans or other legumes

that way you get more fiber and nutrients

What? Have spaghetti without spaghetti?

so to answer your original question…

yes ,if you were to eat the whole package of noodles in one sitting , that is an actual SHIT-TON of carbs