T Nation

Soy Protein Shouldn't Be Shunned

I found this on another bb site. This goes against everything we learn here. Just found it interesting.

Soy Protein:

Soy protein is commonly used in many different bars. Soy offers another unique mix of amino acids. Soy is one of the higher quality plant proteins and its inclusion should not be shunned.

Soy:

• Are high in natural toxins(anti-nutrients). Contain large quantities of inhibitors that deter enzymes needed for protein digestion.
    These enzyme inhibitors are not entirely disabled during ordinary cooking.

• contain hemaglutinin, which causes red blood cells to clump together. Also contain growth depressant substances.

• contain goitrogens, leads to depressed thyroid function

• is high in phytic acid, which prevent the absorbtion of many minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc.

Only types soy that should be consumed are sprouts or fermentation(tempeh, natto, miso)

Ones to avoid are tofu, soy protein products, and soymilk.

Stick with whey protein.

[quote]greggonzo1 wrote:
Soy:

• Are high in natural toxins(anti-nutrients). Contain large quantities of inhibitors that deter enzymes needed for protein digestion.
    These enzyme inhibitors are not entirely disabled during ordinary cooking.

• contain hemaglutinin, which causes red blood cells to clump together. Also contain growth depressant substances.

• contain goitrogens, leads to depressed thyroid function

• is high in phytic acid, which prevent the absorbtion of many minerals including calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc.

Only types soy that should be consumed are sprouts or fermentation(tempeh, natto, miso)

Ones to avoid are tofu, soy protein products, and soymilk.

Stick with whey protein.[/quote]

This is why I love this site. I found it really interesting that the mis information carries over to BBing sites also. I’m planning to stick with whey, thanks for the facts though. I never got to see the soy articles on here. I should say I have not had a chance to read them yet.

Todd

That site was a front for PETA no doubt.

Soy is evil. I like tofu every now and then (less than once a month) from the occasional chinese restaraunts.

[quote]Soco wrote:
That site was a front for PETA no doubt.

Soy is evil. I like tofu every now and then (less than once a month) from the occasional chinese restaraunts.[/quote]

I don’t think I am able to post the site, but it is a bodybuilding site, which is where I used to go all the time till I found this site. T-Nation blows it away with great articles and much, much better forums.

I was bored today and looked over there and saw a protien bar article, funny how Grow! is not mentioned and they say soy has good properties.

Any one have a study showing that soy has a direct effect on sex hormones in the average person…

every one says it causes bitch tits but I have never seen proof…

no matter I still don’t like soy

(clears throat) Soy should be shunned! (say that 10 times really fast)

When I was in my early twenties, I was essentially living on protien shakes and for a great while I used soy because it was the cheapest one on the shelf. Months of consuming at least eight two-scoop shakes a day lead me to a great deal of bodyfat gain (which I attributed entirely to the bloat from testosterone use) and a severe depression and possible thyroid inhibition causing a great lack of energy.

This all dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that it may have been the soy affecting me, because I remember being so lean and charged with energy (almost to the point of appearing wired to others) and so optimistic about life before that point, and never did I pack on as much testosterone weight before, it was always a mystery what happened to me. I really can only think that the soy was the only difference in my diet, so use it at your own risk. I say be the wiser man who learns from someone else’s mistake and avoid it like a nuclear disaster.

There was a study recently, March 2005 - Dillingham et al.J Nutr. that studied effects of soy on hormone levels of healthy young men. Didn’t read the whole thing, but the abstract says the conclusion is DHT and Testosterone level goes down, other hormones only minor effects.

[quote]JNeves wrote:
Any one have a study showing that soy has a direct effect on sex hormones in the average person…

every one says it causes bitch tits but I have never seen proof…

no matter I still don’t like soy[/quote]

There was an earlier thread that discussed soy being fed to children from infancy through adolescence, teens, etc. Majority of males who have had this fed to them through this period have to some degree bitch tits. Of course the fatter these guys were, or more iron they pumped for their manly chests, the more their bitch titties stood out in a relaxed state. I think a user contributed pics of himself with his titties (no joke).

Where I live, I see proof- and it’s nickname is “the curse” and it’s not even linked to soy because it’s been taught to us yrs and yrs that it’s a good food.

[quote]Todd S. wrote:
I found this on another bb site. This goes against everything we learn here. Just found it interesting.

Soy Protein:

Soy protein is commonly used in many different bars. Soy offers another unique mix of amino acids. Soy is one of the higher quality plant proteins and its inclusion should not be shunned. [/quote]

U won’t win this one buddy. Their all anti soy around here. Good try though!

Why do we even bring up soy anymore? Soy is bad! We all know this! All attempts at crediting it are blasphemous! It should be avoided like the Goth chicks Witchhunter posts!

Soy protein isolates of varying isoflavone content exert minor effects on serum reproductive hormones in healthy young men.

Dillingham BL, McVeigh BL, Lampe JW, Duncan AM.

Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada.

Inverse associations between soy and prostate cancer and the contribution of hormones to prostate cancer prompted the current study to determine whether soy protein could alter serum hormones in men. Thirty-five men consumed milk protein isolate (MPI), low-isoflavone soy protein isolate (SPI) (low-iso SPI; 1.64 +/- 0.19 mg isoflavones/d), and high-iso SPI (61.7 +/- 7.35 mg isoflavones/d) for 57 d each in a randomized crossover design. Twenty-four-hour urine samples indicated that urinary isoflavones were significantly increased by the high-iso SPI relative to the low-iso SPI and MPI. Serum collected on d 1, 29, and 57 of each treatment revealed that dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and DHT/testosterone were significantly decreased by the low-iso SPI [9.4% (P = 0.036) and 9.0% (P = 0.004), respectively] and the high-iso SPI [15% (P = 0.047) and 14% (P = 0.013), respectively], compared with the MPI at d 57. Other significant effects included a decrease in testosterone by the low-iso SPI relative to the MPI (P = 0.023) and high-iso SPI (P = 0.020) at d 29; an increase in dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate by the low-iso SPI relative to the MPI at d 29 (P = 0.001) and relative to the MPI (P = 0.0003) and high-iso SPI (P = 0.005) at d 57; and increases in estradiol and estrone by the low-iso SPI relative to the MPI at d 57 (P = 0.010 and P = 0.005, respectively). In conclusion, soy protein, regardless of isoflavone content, decreased DHT and DHT/testosterone with minor effects on other hormones, providing evidence for some effects of soy protein on hormones. The relevance of the magnitude of these effects to future prostate cancer risk requires further investigation.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

Guys, read any one of the following articles regarding the evils of soy. References included with each.

Bad Protein by TC

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_87prote

The Evils of Soy by Cy Willson

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459861

Soy is Still Bad Protein by Glen Neilson

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461709

Poison Protein by Chris Shugart

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459516

I don’t remember if TC actually said this or not, but after reading all of the articles on T-Nation regarding soy I’ve retained the following “quote” in my head regarding soy. “Consuming soy or soy-containing products on a daily basis will give the average male the hormonal profile of a 12-year old girl”—or something like that. Needless to say, if it has “soy” anywhere on the label I scream bloody murder and run away.

If you want to be an animal… eat an animal.

If you want to be a plant… then just keep sitting on your couch and playing x-box… you’ll eventually grow roots.

[quote]ConanSpeaks wrote:
If you want to be an animal… eat an animal.

If you want to be a plant… then just keep sitting on your couch and playing x-box… you’ll eventually grow roots.[/quote]

lol

This is a good one that’s worth saving in my quotes log

Soy is having the success it is now on a national level because of the tremendous amount of money put forward by the Soy industry.

They even have Soy infant formula!

Sad…very sad.

A guy recently recomended that I start drinking soy milk a great protien source.He also said that Tai-chi would help out my core stability and help me focus. Even before I could react my G.F. started laughing at him and gently led me away. The guy was about 60, got his info from Oprah, and is about as asexual as an earthworm.
I was just plain stunned.

Longish post, but one that I felt most of you could find amusing:

Why Vegans Should Be Considered Fair Game For Hunting
Or: Eat meat you sickly PETA members!!

note: this is not a rant against lacto-ovo-iso vegetarians (people that eat milk products, eggs, and fish). This rant is against the freaks that refuse to eat any animal-based product. You know, the freaks.

First off, let it be stated that vegans are stupid, idiotic, moronic, pathetic, weak, under-developed, sickly, disease-prone, touchy-feely, bleeding-heart, anti-evolutionary sods that should be forced to consume steak twice a day (a fate worse than death for them).

Brief list as to why they are so labelled:

1. Vegans have a sub-maintenance protein intake. For people who do not excercise much, at least .4-.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight should be consumed daily.

2. Most vegan protein comes from soy (see above article for why this is bad)

3. Humans are designed to be omnivores. This means EAT MEAT YOU SODDING NINNY.

4. Animal-based protein sources have a much different profile than vegetable-based sources. They are more readily accepted into muscles (where they are needed), and form stronger muscle fibers. Think of animal-proteins as oak, and vegetable-proteins as pine. Pine might be easier to build with, but oak is much stronger.

5. Animals are tasty.

6. Vegans are generally thin. However, this is not due to the nutritional content of their food, but rather the fact that most of the foods they consume have extremely low caloric densities. Pound for pound, steak has many more calories that lettuce. In actuality, vegans are generally more prone to illness, have weaker muscles, softer bones, and lower metabolisms than meat-eaters of comparable size/activity level.

7. Cindy Crawford, Jessica Simpson, and Angelina Jolie are all meat eaters. For the other side, Brad Pitt, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Colin Farrel also eat meat. looks around frantically Steak! I meant Arnold eats steak!