Soy Protein Better Than No Protein?

Here is my dilemma:

I am not eating meat or fish for Lent (before you ask, this is non-negotiable and trust me, if it were negotiable, I would not think twice before eating meat), and I am kind of broke, so would like to minimize my protein powder usage to 1 scoop of whey a day (after a workout). Also, being broke affects the amount of shrimp I can buy–shrimp is not included in the fast because it is a non-vertebrate (I don’t make up the fasting rules).

Tofu, on the other hand, is really cheap because I can get it every day, as much as I need, from the dining hall. Other protein sources that I can eat are not nearly as reliable at being there; hard-boiled eggs are a rarity at the salad bar at lunch/dinner, although I suppose I could just get a massive amount of eggs/Egg Beaters in a takeout box every morning.

My question is this: Is getting a substantial part of my protein requirements from tofu really bad? If so, how bad, and how do you recommend I get around this (is the massive amount of eggs in a takeout box a good idea)? Yes, I have read the evils of soy articles on the website… but I am desperate.

I weigh about 130, so we’re talking 130 - 200 g of protein a day. Thoughts?

you’re fucked.

You are 130 and worrying about the type of protein you are consuming. Just eat more

I wouldn’t feed soy to my dogs, but that’s just me.

Dairy and Eggs?

Yes soy protein is better than no prot at all, but you don’t need soy, there are lots of protein source alternatives…

You will get all the information you need in this site:

www.veganfitness.net/

fuck non fermented soy.
Do you have access to milk?

lentils
chick peas
brown rice
split peas

Look at John Berardi’s vegan diet.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
you’re fucked.

You are 130 and worrying about the type of protein you are consuming. Just eat more[/quote]

I like this one the best :). But I forgot to mention that I’m 5’4". If you still think the same thing after knowing that, you are really overestimating how tall I am. I’m not skinny by any stretch of the imagination (in fact I need to lose my love handles).

[quote]Berserkergang wrote:
Yes soy protein is better than no prot at all, but you don’t need soy, there are lots of protein source alternatives…

You will get all the information you need in this site:

www.veganfitness.net/

[/quote]

Thanks for the info, will check that site out.

[quote]spinach wrote:
fuck non fermented soy.
Do you have access to milk?[/quote]

What do you mean by fermented soy?

[quote]panayiotis.steel wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
you’re fucked.

You are 130 and worrying about the type of protein you are consuming. Just eat more

I like this one the best :). But I forgot to mention that I’m 5’4". If you still think the same thing after knowing that, you are really overestimating how tall I am. I’m not skinny by any stretch of the imagination (in fact I need to lose my love handles).
[/quote]

I’m not much taller at all (5’5"), and if I was 130 I’m sure I’d be super skinny. You probably think you’re fatter than others do.

Cottage cheese, Milk, Eggs, Beans and Rice, Shrimp, Oysters, Crayfish, Crab, Lobster, Yogurt, Cheese,

Dairy farmers will love you.

I’d stay away from the soy. There are better choices available to you.

Look around on line and see if you can order a large quantity of shrimp for a cheaper price it might be worth while. The same goes for the crab and oysters.

Go on the Velocity Diet for a month.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Go on the Velocity Diet for a month.[/quote]

This is literally the worst advice ever given. OP weighs 130 lbs and specifically says he doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on powders.

[quote]w00tage wrote:

I’m not much taller at all (5’5"), and if I was 130 I’m sure I’d be super skinny. You probably think you’re fatter than others do.[/quote]

No, not really, it’s just those last few lbs–the love handles, in my case. I pinched them and there’s only a little bit of fat between my skin and my obliques, but… for some reason I still look a little soft.

[quote]Peot wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

This is literally the worst advice ever given. OP weighs 130 lbs and specifically says he doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on powders.[/quote]

Pretty sure that was not serious… and like I said, I definitely don’t need to lose 20 lb.

[quote]Peot wrote:
tw0scoops2 wrote:

This is literally the worst advice ever given. OP weighs 130 lbs and specifically says he doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on powders.[/quote]

Lol, he’s kidding.

Defiantly agree, eat MORE, a lot more.

Eat more… of course. Some good advice for alternatives here already.

And taking in soy for such a short duration won’t kill you. Some guys here act like they’ll grow a vagina if they consume soy. Oh, the horror!

Think it’s better than nuthin…

Another article on soy protein (sorry if you’ve already read it):

http://www.brinkzone.com/articledetails.php?acatid=3&aid=30

As long as you don’t make soy as your main protein source, there should’nt be much problem. How about trying to buy protein powders in bulk? For example, whey protein concentrate from trueprotein is cheap (less than $100 for 25lb I believe) and of great quality.

beans and rice. cheap and will provide the calories and protein you need, If it’s only for lent, you don’t have to worry about the gram of protein per bodyweight per day long as your getting calories. If your lifting or working out hard, your not going to lose muscle with a good supply of carbs, and you won’t gain fat, it’s just fat loss can sometimes be more difficult with an abundance of carbs and fat in the absence of protein.

Sunflower seeds, almonds, nuts in general. Lent is what 40 days? I doubt you were going to look like arnold in the next 40 days.

Oh and i thought milk and eggs was prohibited during lent?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Eat more… of course. Some good advice for alternatives here already.

And taking in soy for such a short duration won’t kill you. Some guys here act like they’ll grow a vagina if they consume soy. Oh, the horror![/quote]

So if I eat soy…I’ll grow a vagina? I’ll still have my cack n balls, tho, right?

5’4 130 lbs is skinny. Skinny fat if anything.

I would die without milk and eggs, because the only things at the dining hall I could eat then would be bread and salad (and tofu); they have very little vegetarian/vegan selection here.

The fast is meat, fish, dairy products, and on some days oil and wine, but many people (me included) can’t do that for the whole period. If I were at home and cooking, I could, but shrimp/shellfish is not a daily, or even weekly offering at the dining hall.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I lol’d. Seriously. :slight_smile:

@Taufiq: I hadn’t read it… very interesting.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I will be employing all these posts (except for the V-Diet one :-p ).