T Nation

Soy in School Lunches

4/01/2005-As the problem of childhood obesity grows and concerns increase, one solution may involve more soy. A pilot program at the Illinois Center for Soy Foods at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, called ISOY, demonstrated the nutritional benefits of including soy in public school lunches.
The program is a joint effort with the Illinois Soybean Checkoff Board and Archer Daniels Midland.
According to Barbara Klein, co-director of the center and professor emeritus in the department of food science and human nutrition at Illinois, many school lunches exceed recommended fat and calorie content. “The goal of the ISOY program was to show that products made from soy ingredients can help reduce fat, cholesterol, and calorie in the lunches, and still be acceptable to the children,” Klein said.
Pilot studies testing consumer acceptability examined plate waste or the percentage of a product that was consumed during the usual lunch programs. If students consumed a greater or equal amount of the test soy product than the normal lunch, researchers concluded that the products were “at least equally acceptable.”
The studies, carried out in four school districts, included four entrees: spaghetti with sauce, chili, ravioli, and nuggets.
Results showed that the soy-enhanced versions of the chili and spaghetti dishes were as acceptable to the children as the meat products. Although the ravioli and nuggets were not as well liked, Klein says that reformulation and testing with children could lead to more satisfactory products.

Regardless of anyones opinion of soy, school lunches are not the reason kids are so fat today.

It is the balance of their diet and the complete lack of activity.

Oh, and soy sucks.

TC did a great article on the subject a while ago.

how about not serving pizza everyday for lunch, or having phys ed actually teach you how to be physical… Or perhaps some nutrition training… I had no clue till last year and I am 28…

Could you imagine if you went to gym and actually got activity… Teach them how to lift weights, make them run every period…

Not really relevant but this topic came up this weekend with my wife…

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
TC did a great article on the subject a while ago. [/quote]

Do you have a title or a link to that article? i would love to read it!

-Machine

I found it funny that the only thing being replaced was meat with soy. How about having a piece of chicken breast, some steamed veggies and fruit yogurt - for dessert.

Soy nuggets, soy with noodles…are you kidding me!

[quote]machine514 wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
TC did a great article on the subject a while ago.

Do you have a title or a link to that article? i would love to read it!

-Machine[/quote]

Machine-

Here’s a link to TC’s article “Ground Breakers: Bad Protein.”

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461006

Hope that helps!

Soy is the only acceptable protein. Submit. Consume. Soy for baby forumulas. Soy instead of meat. Soy for students. Soy for grandparents.

When I die, I want to be buried in soy.

Auuuugh. Wake me please, I’m having a nightmare!!!

I’ve seen some school lunches served here in state-run schools. Also at catholic private schools here. Many students and some parents support the chance at alternative sources of lunch. Unfortunately choices are poor. Why does soy become the answer in school lunches? Now the benefits listed in the original post are what are important to people in general. Yes, if one becomes too tunnel visioned on these benefits alone, it will be easy to not even mention that soy carries many negatives, but one main important negative, it’s an incomplete, lean protein. No matter if organic or processed, it’s incomplete.

Now tunnel vision of benefits are fine in some cases. For example I tunnel vision on nutrition. Wow, big deal, it’s so general that’s why. Well if I eat more fruits and vegetables I take care of all the benefits soy is proclaimed with. That’s with hardly any negative effects except for longer washing times due to possible pesticides (as far as I hear). If I want more complete lean proteins and fats I’d opt for animal products and nuts.

Very simple and too expensive compared to soy stuff. From yrs of lesson and common sense, govn’t seems to always favor the lowest bidder or cheapest product for just about everything. I understand that budgets are tough and debt grows faster than a cycle OTJ. Sacrifice and educated life for money could be a reasoning for choosing soy, other than being tricked into a tunnel vision that soy is supposed to provide.

Unless I send my children to a particular private school here, I sacrifice my early morning time to make them lunch and snacks.

If I ever find myself eating a soy patty in the lunchroom without being told so, I will be very very pissed.
Look at those choices, though. Does replacing chicken really make chicken nuggets healthier, or is the problem the fact that it is FRIED? Is the meat in ravioli the problem, or is it processed pasta? And why in the hell would you replace the meat in chili? Last time I checked, chili is healthier than 99% of the “food” they serve in the cafeteria. When will people get it through their head that we need MORE meat, fruit, and vegetables and LESS synthetic carbs and soy?

You know what I CAN’T for the fucking life of me figure out? In junior high(I gratuated in 2001), you could get a sack lunch cosisting of 2 PB&J sandwiches and a bag of chips with a milk. Not only was it crap artificial peanut butter with grape jelly on white bread…they put fucking BUTTER on both slices of bread! And there was no option of getting it without! I can’t remember the excuse they gave for that but even at 13 years old I knew it was BS. I mean come on! If you ate 2 sandwiches and the bag of chips with even 8oz of skim milk you are looking at close to 120g of carbs with what like 40 grams of fat? What part of this lunch is even close to healthy!!! I might have well had a bag of Oreos for lunch and washed it down with a 12 pack of Mountian Dew! No wonder I was a fat bastard! My damn kids are having Grow for lunch!

Im sure that the soy lunches are lower in total fat, sat fat and maybe even trans fats; the big reason why schools are adopting them is probably the price – soy is way cheaper than meat. I personally do not think soy is the devil, I eat about 15-25 grams twice a week, but I do not believe that a diet high in soy is healthy. Poor kids, especially the boys. One good side – the phytoestrogens could help trigger an earlier puberty for the girls!

[quote]T-Mag Mod wrote:
Machine-

Here’s a link to TC’s article “Ground Breakers: Bad Protein.”

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461006

Hope that helps![/quote]

Thanks!

-Machine

[quote]rockhard_4eva wrote:
One good side – the phytoestrogens could help trigger an earlier puberty for the girls![/quote]

Could? Dude, it already has.

If you ever pick up a chick nowadays its almost like you gotta ask her her age to make sure she isn’t fuckin 13 or 14 years old. Why? Because these girls are lookin like they’re fuckin 20 years old or some shit!

I work right next to a private Catholic school, I’m 24 but I don’t feel bad after catching a peek/2 hour stare. They’re basically grown up.