Soy and Women

I am interested in Berardi’s new article - I Love soy products, but cut them out a long time ago when I heard about the dangers of soy. But this article has changed my mind a bit.

However, he does focus on males and test. production. Would soy still be bad for women - increase our estrogen higher than it already is?

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/soy_whats_the_big_deal&cr=

Sarah, my aunt is a vegetarian who consumes a good amount of “good soy” (the stuff listed in Berardi and Andrews’ article. She’s been eating it for either 16 or 19 years (I’m not sure which is right, but I don’t think that matters given the length) and has had no major problems whatsoever.

I don’t think there’s much to worry about, but I’m no professional. Could you ask your doctor?

I was more concerned about body comp - estrogen leads to fat storage in stomach, butt I believe?

Estrogen is not associated with fat storage in the midsection that I know of.

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
I was more concerned about body comp - estrogen leads to fat storage in stomach, butt I believe?
[/quote]

There’s definitely a link between fat on the belly and cortisol (aka the “stress hormone”), but the link is not exclusive, of course.

I don’t think the tiny amount of estrogen from soy has any impact on the biochemistry of a mature woman - her body probably makes a lot more of it anyway. It may have an impact on the biochemistry of men, or of children, but even then I tend to take these hypotheses with a grain of salt.
If anything, I would rather think that a little bit more estrogen might actually be good for women. There’s a tendency to demonize estrogen in bodybuilding/weightlifting circles, but a lot of that is just baloney - yeah, it’s bad if you’re a man and your body all of a sudden makes a lot of estrogen because you’re doing a test cycle and you’re a moron and you’re doing it wrong. But other than that, let’s not go hunting for witches please.

Thanks!