South Africa More Dangerous than Iraq/Afghanistan

http://www.sports-city.org/news_details.php?news_id=8164&idCategory=30

The World Cup in 2010 is going to be a disaster. Take your pick on the absolute collapse of law, order, structure, morals, economics, health, education, military, etc. that has taken place in South Africa.

The whole world is going to see what a cesspool the country has become when blackouts, rapes, robberies, riots and murders abound during the world cup.

[quote]Charlemagne wrote:

The World Cup in 2010 is going to be a disaster. Take your pick on the absolute collapse of law, order, structure, morals, economics, health, education, military, etc. that has taken place in South Africa.

The whole world is going to see what a cesspool the country has become when blackouts, rapes, robberies, riots and murders abound during the world cup.

[/quote]

Nothing unusual there. I suggest reading Martin Meredith’s “State of Africa” - a detailed account of African nations in the 50 year post-colonial period.

The only differences are that, having a substantial white minority, Western readers can draw paranoid and hysterical parallels (no one gives a shit what’s going on in DR Congo, for example) with their respective countries.

The political landscape was greatly radicalized by the apartheid. The “evil colonial oppressor” is still there, hiding in gated communities. Also, the comparative riches of the country makes a pretty big cushion until the final collapse (almost 30 years in case of Zimbabwe).

Besides that, just your typical African elite trying to hoard obscene amounts of riches, promote cronies and implement half baked political ideas, while at the same time destroying the very fabric of society.

Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, Nigeria, Malawi… the list is quite long.

I just want the games to start, I know the country has it’s problems.

LOL…because they didn’t get a contract and now are are full of sour grapes,an S.A. company with a vested interest is a credible source of information?If the country is so bad,they should just shut their doors.

I can’t believe anyone would see this article as a reliable source of information.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
LOL…because they didn’t get a contract and now are are full of sour grapes,an S.A. company with a vested interest is a credible source of information?If the country is so bad,they should just shut their doors.

I can’t believe anyone would see this article as a reliable source of information.[/quote]

Sour Grapes huh? I think it is more like business savvy. There is no way you are going to be able to protect your clients very well in a collapsed, incredibly violent society such as South Africa. Why ruin your business’ reputation? I mean, South Africa averages 50 murders a day and lead’s the world in rapes. This is only going to be exacerbated during the world cup.

I can’t believe anyone would see this article as a reliable source of information.[/quote]

Sour Grapes huh? I think it is more like business savvy. There is no way you are going to be able to protect your clients very well in a collapsed, incredibly violent society such as South Africa. Why ruin your business’ reputation? I mean, South Africa averages 50 murders a day and lead’s the world in rapes. This is only going to be exacerbated during the world cup.
[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest,you get your ‘collapsed state’ information from where,exactly?And do you think FIFA would endanger the biggest sporting event in the world by holding it in a collapsed,incredibly violent society?Must be because they are clueless as to how to organize and do their job.And as for Securicor,their business thrives on chaos,so I think it’s fair to assume they have a vested interest in getting their hands on some of the WC billions floating around.They didn’t(for now,that may change),so they try put a spin on it.As for how it will all go down during the event itself,we will only have to wait a few months to see.I think there will be a good deal of theft/muggings etc,which is the case at any large sporting event of this kind.I believe the murder/rape incidents will be a non factor,unless you happen to go somewhere you shouldn’t be.Which is an issue anywhere in the world.

Personally I’m more concerned with the transportation issue of getting large numbers of people to and from matches.That kind of infrastructure is lacking here,and while some strides have been made,I don’t see it being enough…and I don’t think the cost to the taxpayer here of staging the event will ever be recovered.

So all in all,it will go ok…but by all means,go holiday in Iraq or Afghanistan if you feel they are safer.

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics”

I rate South Africa just like Iraq or Afghanistan in terms of vacation safety. It may be very beautiful but it’s a place where Evil lives.

[/quote]

Europe tried to civilise the ‘Dark Continent’. The only solution, for the sake of the locals, would be re-colonization.

They’ll never do it though. Better to have Robert Mugabe and Idi Amin (“Lunch anyone?”) for leaders.

I left South Africa at the end of 2004 after having lived there my whole life. Criminals were already targeting tourists because they are a lot less likely to be armed and are never as alert.

When you live in such a crazy environment you tend to just accept it as normal. It’s a survival mechanism, people will adapt to just about anything. It’s only when one leaves that the true state of the country become apparent. This is why you can’t always trust what the locals say. This is no place for major international sporting event.

I had to shoot two people in self defence (separate incidents) before I was even 19 years old. I was happy to stay there and just kind of accepted the fact that I would die a violent death. Does that sound like a good holiday to anyone?

As soon as my son was born I decided that it was time to leave.

My family landed in SA in 1653. It’s taken this long to learn that Africa is for Africans. Cut off all the aid, and no matter how distastfull it seems to the rest of the world, let them sort out their own problems. What do you think was going on before Africa was colonised?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

[/quote]

Europe tried to civilise the ‘Dark Continent’. The only solution, for the sake of the locals, would be re-colonization.

They’ll never do it though. Better to have Robert Mugabe and Idi Amin (“Lunch anyone?”) for leaders.
[/quote]

I’m really curious as to what went wrong with Africa… but did Europeans really try to “civilize” the natives, or just flat out exploit the resourses and labor?

It really depends on which colony you’re talking about. In South Africa I believe that they really did try to civilise and improve the lives of the native people.

Many of the early settlers had fled religious persecution and were generally decent folk. Thats not to say that there wasn’t the odd slave trader or big shipping company (VD) who took advantage of the locals.

I also think that the Brits just wanted the natural resources and were less concerned the natives. It would have been a lot easier to just shoot them and later put them on reservations.

You do have to look at the huge sums of money that were spent on civilizing “the great unwashed”. Most colonies gave the locals free eductaion and health care. This of course made the population explode, which brings it’s own set of problems.

[/quote]
Just look how ‘well’ the blacks are doing in the US or whatever countries they recently immigrate to. With all the advantages of white civilization, raping and aping is quite frequent. So what does one think will happen in a black majority country?

Yep, education is important

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The only solution, for the sake of the locals, would be re-colonization.
[/quote]

If they are re-colonized, it’ll be by the Red Chinese.