Source of Overfeeding Quote

I often save great quotes or article texts, but sometimes regret not maintaining the source. The recent David to Goliath thread reminded me of the following quote. Anyone know where it’s from, or if factual? If it is, it’s certainly food for thought:

“Studies have been done on overfeeding where people were fed an additional 1000 calories per day for 100 days without any training whatsoever. Of the weight they gained, even in the absence of exercise, an average of 35% was lean muscle mass”.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I often save great quotes or article texts, but sometimes regret not maintaining the source. The recent David to Goliath thread reminded me of the following quote. Anyone know where it’s from, or if factual? If it is, it’s certainly food for thought:

“Studies have been done on overfeeding where people were fed an additional 1000 calories per day for 100 days without any training whatsoever. Of the weight they gained, even in the absence of exercise, an average of 35% was lean muscle mass”.[/quote]

A Training Philosophy For Solid Mass Gain
by: Kelly Baggett

1. Nutrition

How powerful is the effect of eating? Studies have been done on overfeeding where people were fed an additional 1000 calories per day for 100 days without any training whatsoever. Of the weight they gained, even in the absence of exercise, an average of 35% was lean muscle mass.

Ah! Thanks Keith!

Now I wonder if he can back up that study.
If it is indeed factual, then newbies had better get eating.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ah! Thanks Keith!

If it is indeed factual, then newbies had better get eating. [/quote]

I believe this is very true. I remember this study referenced in texts and by professors.

I think they had 2 groups besides the control. The had 1 group consume the additional calories in the form of 2 meal replacement bars eaten between regular meals (this was the only change mad to each participants regular diet). The 2nd group followed the same protocol and was weight trained.

Simply consuming additional calories without weight training was enough to elicit an increase in LBM.

Of course the weight trained group gained more.

Does anyone know if the 1000 calories were added from the starting weight on day 1 and left at that level throughout or did they adjust calories based on weight gain?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ah! Thanks Keith!

If it is indeed factual, then newbies had better get eating. [/quote]

But but, what if when training it’s less than 90%? I will lose my abs!

[quote]fireflyz wrote:
Does anyone know if the 1000 calories were added from the starting weight on day 1 and left at that level throughout or did they adjust calories based on weight gain?[/quote]

If I recall the study required the participants to consume THEIR normal diet with the addition of the 2 bars. I don’t believe their was any increase as the study progressed, as i think it only lasted 10-12 wks.

[quote]MEYMZ wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ah! Thanks Keith!

But but, what if when training it’s less than 90%? I will lose my abs![/quote]

Oh my god, you’re right.

Damnit, now I have to rethink how I do EVERYTHING!!! I can’t risk losing "teh hawt abz.)

[quote]Vanilla-Gorilla wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ah! Thanks Keith!

I believe this is very true. I remember this study referenced in texts and by professors.

I think they had 2 groups besides the control. The had 1 group consume the additional calories in the form of 2 meal replacement bars eaten between regular meals (this was the only change mad to each participants regular diet). The 2nd group followed the same protocol and was weight trained.

Simply consuming additional calories without weight training was enough to elicit an increase in LBM.

Of course the weight trained group gained more.[/quote]

I would be more interested to see the weight lifting group. And if they were previously weight training.

[quote]beaul wrote:
Vanilla-Gorilla wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
Ah! Thanks Keith!

Of course the weight trained group gained more.

I would be more interested to see the weight lifting group. And if they were previously weight training.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, now I’m second-guessing myself, and don’t remember if their was a weightlifting group. One of us needs to find the actual study.