Sound Meal Plan?

Howdy folks,

I want to see if any of you lads have any advice for my diet. As far as I am concerned, it’s fairly clean and straightforward. I’m shooting to maintain and hopefully build a bit of muscle mass, but also whittled down my bf a percentage or two.

Current measurements:

Height: 5’7"
Weight: 200 lbs.
b.f.: 18%

On a daily basis I try to get the following from whole foods. I haven’t had fast food, chips, that sort of thing in weeks.

Calories: 2500-3500kcal
Carbs: 180-200g
Fat: 100g
Protein: 300-400g

I eat most of my carbs during breakfast, with maybe 40 or so coming with lunch and 10 or less coming with dinner. The rest of the calorie and protein deficit comes from 100% whey protein shakes and the homemade low-carb shakes that Shughart created.

Examples of foods I have:

• Spinach salad with cut up veggies like cucumber, tomato, avocado, etc.
  • Scrambled Omega-3 eggs
  • Lean steaks
  • Chicken breast
  • Tuna fish
  • Whole-wheat pasta
  • Whole-wheat bread
  • Regular Quaker Oatmeal
  • Various fruits (apples, blueberries, bananas)

I think this is a good plan. At least, I know it’s better than the “just fuckin’ eat” plan, which I had been on previously, much to my detriment.

For reference, I do a powerlifting-type workout four times per week, intensive interval-esque rugby practice for three hours four times per week, and usually an 80 minute game on Saturdays.

Any critiques? Advice? Anything is much appreciated.

• CS

[quote]cwschimpff wrote:
Howdy folks,

I want to see if any of you lads have any advice for my diet. As far as I am concerned, it’s fairly clean and straightforward. I’m shooting to maintain and hopefully build a bit of muscle mass, but also whittled down my bf a percentage or two.

Current measurements:

On a daily basis I try to get the following from whole foods. I haven’t had fast food, chips, that sort of thing in weeks.

I eat most of my carbs during breakfast, with maybe 40 or so coming with lunch and 10 or less coming with dinner. The rest of the calorie and protein deficit comes from 100% whey protein shakes and the homemade low-carb shakes that Shughart created.

• Scrambled Omega-3 eggs
  • Lean steaks
  • Chicken breast
  • Tuna fish
  • Whole-wheat pasta
  • Whole-wheat bread
  • Regular Quaker Oatmeal

I think this is a good plan. At least, I know it’s better than the “just fuckin’ eat” plan, which I had been on previously, much to my detriment.

• CS[/quote]

Your plan definetly shows that you have a good grasp nutrition wise .

Looks good to me.

The only thing i would question about is Nutrient timing, but from the looks of that you know what your doing.

[quote]cwschimpff wrote:
Howdy folks,

Current measurements:

• Scrambled Omega-3 eggs
  • Lean steaks
  • Chicken breast
  • Tuna fish
  • Whole-wheat pasta
  • Whole-wheat bread
  • Regular Quaker Oatmeal

For reference, I do a powerlifting-type workout four times per week, intensive interval-esque rugby practice for three hours four times per week, and usually an 80 minute game on Saturdays.

• CS[/quote]

That’s an aweful lot of protein for someone who just wants to “build a bit of muscle mass”. Why 2g/lb of BW?

You do a lot of cardio activity and lifting and should probably up the carbs some. Overall the food choices and timing looks good. Doing the P/F and P/C thing will be a big step towards those body composition goals you have.

How long have you been on this and how is it working for you?