T Nation

Sound Dampening Basketball Backboard

I’ve recently purchased a portable basketball ring. Trouble that I am having is the perspex backboard (2 plates of 1/8" thickness) is making a considerable amount of noise when the ball rebounds relatively hard. This makes some of the neighbourhood dogs start barking which surely irritates my neighbours.

Wondering how I could dampen the sound?

Surely the metal structure is amplifying the sound some what, as is the fact that it is 2 sheets of perspex as opposed to 1 for the backboard. I’ve considered filling the stands with foam to remove any echoing from the metal stands.

As for the back board I’m not sure what kind of material I should use. Neoprene rubber? Some kind of light weight wood like ply wood to reduce vibrations? Any other preferred options?

Any shots beyond foul line distance are a no go for me currently.

Look up sound dampening material used for cars, and throw it on there. Dynamat is a popular brand, but it’s pricey; use the internet to find cheaper brands. Get the most heavy duty stuff sold and glue it on.

Don’t feel bad.

Your neighbors like to be disturbed by barking. Its why they have dogs.

BALLING

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Don’t feel bad.

BALLING [/quote]

This is funny because I had a neighbour who used to complain because his dog would bark at me when I left for work at early hours. He was mad at me for his dog barking. . . WTF?

[quote]Sturat wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Don’t feel bad.

BALLING [/quote]

This is funny because I had a neighbour who used to complain because his dog would bark at me when I left for work at early hours. He was mad at me for his dog barking. . . WTF?[/quote]

Thats basically how it is. Dont like dog barking? Dont own a fucking dog. What type of dogs do they have OP? Maybe its Prof X’s dog calling for help. Woof woof.

I have seven dogs that only bark when someone new comes in the house.

My friends come over and the dogs bark and my friends ask how I can stand it.
I tell them that they will only do this for a minute or so when new people come, of course they’r not going to do it all fucking day or I’d be insane by now.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I have seven dogs that only bark when someone new comes in the house.

My friends come over and the dogs bark and my friends ask how I can stand it.
I tell them that they will only do this for a minute or so when new people come, of course they’r not going to do it all fucking day or I’d be insane by now.[/quote]

You have 7 dogs?

Nards your weird weird man.

Please meet up with me for a beer in China?

tweet

I’d love to but I’m comfortable on my sofa.

Lololololol. Thats hilarious.

Oh well. maybe its a good thing. Im more of a cat person.

tweet

My dogs are the size of cats.

[quote]Nards wrote:
My dogs are the size of cats.[/quote]

Dont the locals want to eat them?

tweet

7 dogs?

The smell…urgh.

They don’t smell.

[quote]Nards wrote:
They don’t smell.[/quote]

Ive been to plenty of homes where there are dogs and not a single time did it not smell rank.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:
They don’t smell.[/quote]

Ive been to plenty of homes where there are dogs and not a single time did it not smell rank.[/quote]

Yeah, but you live in England right?

@Andrew_Live - one has a bull mastiff and a couple bulldogs, another neighbour has a couple dobermans and one has a rottweiler.

I’m gonna try out some neoprene rubber, wedged between the perspex board and weather proof pine wood. Low cost and I’m confident will eliminate the drum effect completely. Dynamat and similar alternatives are way too pricey to use.

Thanks.