SOUL_FIGHTER Training Log

Thanks man, hoping to hit some big #s this winter.

It sounds like the coach you hired will be beneficial. Lots and lots of submaximal work will have you strong as shit. I look forward to the progress.

Yeah! Certainly. I was doing lots of submaximal work without a plan before and all it did was make me feel weak because I wasn’t breaking into 300s on squats or 200s in bench.

285 squats at 3x6 killed me. Left my knee sleeves at home, so I used my wife’s.
Did some duffalo bench at 145 for 3x10 and that killed me badly. I could probably go heavier, but didn’t want to overshoot.
Closed off with DB row, and again prolly coulda done heavier but felt good.

Hittin some Pendlay Row and OHP today, deadlifts for Sunday.

1 Like

Hit deadlifts today at 3x5. Im poverty as hell on my deadlift reps. Did 295, 305, 305. Couldn’t put them down as lightly as I wanted to… damn

Most of my accessory was new stuff or new equipment. Was programmed for belt squat, but I did that as part of my warmup. After deadlifts, did some good morning as programmed but used a cambered bar. (whatever the Rogue CB-1 is). Felt good.

Did some deficit split leg squats. Prolly didn’t do it right, but I def got a good stretch in - I used a deadlift jack for balance like I seen John Meadows do with a rack, and held a dumbbell in the other hand.

3 Likes

Hi reps got me feeling all sorts of poverty.

4x7 on bench today for 195, 200, 200, 205 Lockouts feeling rough the deeper into the set I go.
Did close grip 3x8 at 175, 175, 180, and lock out got even harder at what usually is baby weight
Then some dumbbell at 40, 45, 45 for 3x8 and that shit murked me at the very top.
Blasted out 3x12 of tricep extensions
AMRAP Band Pull Aparts for 35
2 AMRAP Sets of Band Face Pulls for 15, 20

Glad to have discovered a weakness. Hopefully blasting my triceps will get me closer to that 315 lbs goal.

2 Likes

I’m jealous, I feel like your DOMS must be through the roof with all this added volume. I miss the DOMS. I know it’s not an indicator of a good workout BUT IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I WORKED MY ASS OFF.

Yeah man, all the accessory last night got me feelin it today. Especially my hamstrings from the good mornings.

1 Like

Working with lighter weight is hurting my feelings

Did 3x6 for 295, 300, 300, on Squat, but lost count on sets 2 and 3.
3x10 for Duffalo Bench with 155, 155, and 160
Then some dumbbell rows with the 75s for a 3x10.
Ended with AMRAP band pull aparts for 50. Road to 100, and then do it daily.

Traveling next weekend, so I get one rest day before I smash in the remainder of this training week and next training week on consecutive days.

1 Like

Row and OHP today.

Rows at 3x6 at 205. Was supposed to drop the weight, but 205 felt light on the first set so I kept going. Felt harder this week on later sets and ended up using alot of body English.

OHP at 3x8 with 115. First set went easy, then stopped at 7 on set 2, almost push pressed it on set 3 and stopped at 5. Pretty embarassing on this weight, so I should probably spend more time on this rep range.

Did lat pulls 3x12 to warm up for OHP (which i usually do - but maybe that resulted me in getting more fatigued?)

And then closed off with cable row. 3x10

1 Like

Ed Coan advocates a lot of body English on barbell rows. I believe the thought behind it is that in powerlifting, everything is a full-body movement, even bench if you’re doing it right.

I’ve found that if I just want to get heavy back work in, I do pull-ups (the bane of my existence) and barbell rows with lots of body English. DB Rows if I feel like isolating my lats.

I weighed myself and I’m more 190-195 lately. Pullups are so much harder than they used to be

I used to do 8x8 lat pull downs with short rest periods, and that really blew my back up. I don’t think I look that big, but people I used to run into before at other gyms say “I didnt know you were a powerlifter till I saw you here, I thought you were a body builder”

Poverty bench with 4x7 at 205
Had trouble locking out last week, so I shaved a rep on close grip for 3x7, with 185, which was tough, and 180. Never had this apparent weakness in my triceps till I went deeper into sets.

Ended off with some 45lbs Dumbbell Press 3x8 and tricep extensions.

1 Like

3x6 on Squat, 3x10 on Duffalo bench, and 3x10 on Cable Rows

I think I might have some technical issue on my squats or anything lower body because my lower back suddenly is KILLIN me. I can pick up my mom no problem (she’s 115) when I have to transfer her chair to chair, but once I “warm up” my lower back tightens.

Tried to foam roll, and even used a 115lb Geisha, but just felt tight. Only got 3 on my last set, called it. On video everything moved well, maybe a little slow. My coach gave me feedback on my video that looking up more will keep my pelvis in a more neutral position.

Smashing deadlifts tomorrow (we’ll see), and then taking a whole week off for a scheduled vacation/deload (since I don’t train when I travel anyway).

1 Like

How many days per week? I might try this. Also, how long do you recommend doing this for?

I did this for like 2-3 months earlier this year. Did it along with whatever I was doing at the end of every session 3-4 days a week. Just made it part of my cool down/stretch.

Also @lava2007 shoot for 30 second rest periods, so really dial weight down.

I might add this back in actualy :notsureif:

2 Likes

I might do this starting next week. I do pulldowns 2-3 times a week as an exercise during my session so I’ll replace it with something else and do pulldowns at the end.

2 Likes

Yeah, I usually did 2-3x8-10 pulldowns on upper body days for warmup, so you can always do both.

1 Like

Damn son, 30 seconds? Sounds good to me.

I was reading an article by Paul Carter, something along the lines of “5 Newbie Questions Answered with Brutal Honesty” or something. Clicked a link in that to another article, which I can’t remember the name of. Anyways, he advocates the 50-100 reps per day for any muscle that you want to grow; THAT reminded me of a different article that I read, something titled “36,000 extra reps” or something. The premise is that you pick an exercise and do 100 reps of it every day for a week: pushups, pullups, lunges, shrugs, etc. Whatever targets a muscle group that you want to grow. So with that, I decided that I want to do 1,000 reps of lat pulldowns in the next 30 days. I did 48 or 56 yesterday, but the actual count will start tomorrow when I hit the gym again.

I took a picture of my back last night, and I’ll take another one in 30 days. I don’t know how that’ll affect my back but I’m hoping for some improvements, strength-wise or aesthetically. Doesn’t matter to me. My back has always been neglected, and 2 of the 4 gyms that I’ve trained at in the last 2 years didn’t have a lat pulldown machine (which always feels better than actual pull-ups, and helped build my actual pull-up strength anyways lol) so I want to take full advantage of this.

If this 1,000 reps in a month thing works out, I’ll try it with a different back exercise like DB rows. Then maybe RDLs. Who knows.

I’m also currently doing 100 reps/day of lateral raises. Yesterday was my first day, and I plan to do them the entire time that I do the lat pulldown stuff as well. This is all in addition to my regularly scheduled workouts, since my lateral deltoids and lats are only ever worked indirectly (because I suck at choosing assistance work). Sorry for dropping this shit all over your log. That was a lot longer than I thought it would be lol.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s how I do most of my accessory/bodybuilding work

I’ll pick a lagging body part and just attack it and prioritize it. And when I’m tired of that, or seen decent progress, I go and do something else. Right now I’m on a hamstring phase, but not doing 8x8 for that.

Been prescribed some good morning variations from my PT, but havent been doing them. Might solve my back pain

Here’s some more 8x8 content:

Lee Hayward and Daryl Conant have some good Gironda content on YouTube

1 Like