Soreness: Machines vs Free Weights

I get much more soreness from machines than free weights. Is that just because the machines isolate muscles better or am I doing something wrong? With free weights, I’m on Phase II of S2B.

I do as much weight as I can (to failure on some sets) for 5 x 5 for the big lifts (squats, deads, bench press, h C & P). I usually feel pretty fatigued and wiped out but my muscles don’t get too sore. Is it a myth to think the more sore you are, the more your muscles will grow? Thanks!

Because we are all built differently, we all move differently.

No matter how hard they try, they can never reproduce a natural flowing movement in a machine that is specifically tailored to your body. This is a contributor on why you feel sore using machines.

Machines have a set field of motion and your body will probably not be comfortable moving in that field.

Most people use the machines to learn the proper motion of the exercise and move to free weights to mimic that exercise.

The concensus is that freeweights offer a greater amount of concentration supporting the weights in the flow of the movement, resulting in better muscular development.

Personally, I try to use freeweights for most exercises with the exception of a few that i dont feel comfortable replicating. I have a hard time feeling comfortable replicating flies, so I stick to the machine. Other than that, most is all done with freeweights.

not the most scientific explaination, but just my 2c.

Thanks! Yeah, I knew free weights were better because they required you to balance the weight, but I thought I might be doing something wrong because I don’t get a lot of soreness. Your explanation about the machines causing soreness because the movement is not natural makes a lot of sense, though.

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
Is it a myth to think the more sore you are, the more your muscles will grow? Thanks![/quote]

This one is a toughy.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer because Im not sure of the answer myself.

[quote]maxx power wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Is it a myth to think the more sore you are, the more your muscles will grow? Thanks!

This one is a toughy.
Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer because Im not sure of the answer myself.
[/quote]

To quote Thibaudeau: “If I hit you in the leg with a baseball bat, you’ll be sore. But that doesn’t mean you will grow.”

you might be getting more sore with machines because you’re more comfortable loading up the weight on the machine but not pushing yourself with freeweights.

I don’t know if that’s it. I’m pushing myself pretty hard with free weights. I’m doing 5 x 5s for the big lifts and stop right short of muscle failure (occasionally I hit failure by accident, meaning that I can’t finish the rep I’ve started). Is this normal or should I be getting significant soreness from free weights? I get barely any soreness even though I feel fatigued and am pushing myself really hard.

Soreness has nothing to do with muscle growth.

I generally only get sore when I do a new exercise that hits the muscle in a slightly different way.

Soreness does not mean you will grow, but for me it is generally a good sign. You probably get more sore on a machine than with free weights because you are increasing the load, and placing more resistance on a certain part of the body.

Lets use bench pressing vs. machine chest press for example, on the bench press you are using the chest, tricep and shoulder, and probably not using the load that you would on a machine, and the entirety of those body parts are moving the load. However with a machine, the movement is restricted and only a certain area of those muscle groups are getting used, and you are probably using more resistance with the machine than you are with a free weight.

This is a pretty normal phenomenon for beginners. Shift your focus to more free weight based lifting, and safely increase your loads, and you will definitely feel it from the free weight training more than the machine.

ive been traning for only 2 weeks and i remember something the guy teaching me told me. he said “you can carry a bag full of pepsi bottles 20 miles to your house and your arm will be sore, but that doesnt mean you grew”. also all glory to free weights long live balance.

[quote]christine wrote:
Soreness has nothing to do with muscle growth.

I generally only get sore when I do a new exercise that hits the muscle in a slightly different way.[/quote]

Oh that’s good to hear! (I assume you are getting muscle growth.)

It would probably be more accurate to say I get briefly sore with free weights (for less than an hour). After that, I just feel fatigued but don’t really feel sore. With machines, I’d usually feel sore for about 24 to 36 hours. Hopefully I’ll get muscle growth from pushing myself hard with free weights even if I don’t get much soreness.

[quote]The punisher kid wrote:
ive been traning for only 2 weeks and i remember something the guy teaching me told me. he said “you can carry a bad full of pepsi bottles 20 miles to your house and your arm will be sore, but that doesnt mean you grew”. [/quote]

Not bad but I like the Thibaudeau quote more!

it’s just a different ROM than you’re used to. Any time you change it up you should get the same result. Don’t worry about not being sore if you’re pushing yourself. If you’re not sore at ALL (or tight anyway), and you’ve had the same workout for a while, change it up. The body adapts very well to stressors, so when it does, change it so it continues to adapt and grow.

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
The punisher kid wrote:
ive been traning for only 2 weeks and i remember something the guy teaching me told me. he said “you can carry a bad full of pepsi bottles 20 miles to your house and your arm will be sore, but that doesnt mean you grew”.

Not bad but I like the Thibaudeau quote more!
[/quote]

true but i think its preety clear that if thibs hit you with a baseball bat that you wouldnt grow, but some people actually think carrying a bag full of pepsi bottles will get you stronger. but ya his is funnier less practical but funnier none the less.

[quote]maxx power wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
Is it a myth to think the more sore you are, the more your muscles will grow? Thanks!

This one is a toughy.
[/quote]

If that’s the case, I’ll be changing my name to Miss Olympia soon! I am still training despite a broken right hand and it sucks!!!