Soreness After Squats

Is there any way to help with my soreness after squats? Usually later in the day after my squats my hams and my quads are really sore, like I can barely stand from a sit. Let alone squat down and stand back up. This continues for 2-3 days after the workout.

I have only done squats 3 times, they are new in my workout. I am only sore with squats. Leg press does nothing to me. I also stretch well before and after my workout and walk to and from the gym. The walk home is never bad, my legs dont feel sore until after I get home and am sitting around.

[quote]Big Rob wrote:
Is there any way to help with my soreness after squats? Usually later in the day after my squats my hams and my quads are really sore, like I can barely stand from a sit. Let alone squat down and stand back up. This continues for 2-3 days after the workout.

I have only done squats 3 times, they are new in my workout. I am only sore with squats. Leg press does nothing to me. I also stretch well before and after my workout and walk to and from the gym. The walk home is never bad, my legs dont feel sore until after I get home and am sitting around.[/quote]

The soreness will het better once you get used to the movement.

Also, don’t stretch before hand. This won’t affect soreness, but stretching a muscle will make it temporarily weaker.

Try doing dynamic stretches and mobility stuff instead of stretching the day after and see if that helps.

new movements always make you sore, your body hasn’t adapted to that kind of exercise yet. give it time

Alright guys, I figured it would just take a while to get used to it. I don’t plan on quitting squats, they feel great while I am doing them. But damn it is weird having to walk bowlegged or sidestep down a flight of stairs. I tough it out going up stairs, but stepping down my leg will just buckle.

Dynamic stretches. Would a 10 minute brisk walk on unstable terrain to the gym classify? I will do a quick search on them. I was actually looking for a good stretch routine to limber up a little bit. Any ideas?

i disagree – stretch before the workouts if you’re still new to the movement. you don’t need to be able to push your maxes if it’s a new exercise – the added safety compensates for a beginner.

i’ll agree with dynamic only to more advanced lifters, but if you’re still new, i say do both to be sure. an injury, especially when squatting, isn’t worth 10 pounds on a lift.

[quote]Big Rob wrote:
I am only sore with squats. Leg press does nothing to me.[/quote]

Perhaps this is an indication of the value of squats over that of leg presses? Also, if you have been leg pressing for a while, you probably have gotten used to it.

The duration of the pain will decrease, but don’t fool yourself. If you train squats hard enough, you will always get soreness. They are one of the single best exercises you can do. Stick with them, and consider adding deadlifts if you aren’t already doing them.

I am not doing deadlifts. I am going to look into it though. My gym does not really have an area where they could be done that I know of. Next time I go I will ask one of the bigger guys there.

[quote]Studio27 wrote:
i disagree – stretch before the workouts if you’re still new to the movement. you don’t need to be able to push your maxes if it’s a new exercise – the added safety compensates for a beginner.

i’ll agree with dynamic only to more advanced lifters, but if you’re still new, i say do both to be sure. an injury, especially when squatting, isn’t worth 10 pounds on a lift.[/quote]

In my experience, static stretching before squats tends to weaken my legs to the point where I do not feel very stable. It seems like I could injure my self in that condition. Several of my PT friends (with masters in exercise science) have told me that dynamic stretching will help by increasing blood flow and preparing the body for the workout.

Stretching is taxing on the muscles because you are forcing an adaptation. Since you are about to squat, why tax the muscles so much before hand?

Long story short:
Static stretches: after workout
Dynamic stretches: before workout

In my experience this is best.

drop the weight
try ZMA
stretch AFTER more then before

[quote]Modi wrote:
<<< The duration of the pain will decrease, but don’t fool yourself. If you train squats hard enough, you will always get soreness. >>>[/quote]

Quite so.

[quote]Big Rob wrote:
Alright guys, I figured it would just take a while to get used to it. I don’t plan on quitting squats, they feel great while I am doing them. But damn it is weird having to walk bowlegged or sidestep down a flight of stairs. I tough it out going up stairs, but stepping down my leg will just buckle.

Dynamic stretches. Would a 10 minute brisk walk on unstable terrain to the gym classify? I will do a quick search on them. I was actually looking for a good stretch routine to limber up a little bit. Any ideas?[/quote]

Thats the best part about them man, its a sign you really busted your ass. be proud of yourself and keep up the good work. a lot of people really seem to advocate fish oil to prevent muscle soreness. i take it regardless so i dont know the effect. i found jogging for a bit the day after (though painful) can be the quickest way to relieve the soreness.
-drew

I want to say it is what it is i like the soreness…however I would recommend NOT stretching before squats at least static stretch. Stretching afterward is fine. However to help with the soreness riding a stationary bike the next day or doing very light high rep set (1-2 sets) of squats will help…

I supplement my diet with ~10g fish oil, 5g creatine monohydrate, 10-15g BCAAs and ON whey and ON casien. Hopefully those can help me accelerate my recovery times.

The end of December I took a few weeks off from squating with good weight, coming back I just loaded up the bar like I would have done had I not missed anything…I couldn’t walk without a hell of a lot of pain for three days. After that, my legs returned to “normal” and I could squat again.

A lot of it just has to do with your body getting used to it, but some things that help me are cutting the weight for the moment, jogging the day after, taking a hot bath the day after,

“aerobic stretching” (I’m not sure what the proper name is for this, generally activities that incorperate stretches into cardio-style activities). This is perhaps what works best for me. Yesteruday I couldn’t move my back so well 'cuz it was so sore, after doing a lot of static stretches thoughout the day and then doing a workout with a lot of active stretching + high heart rate, my back today felt great. good luck.

I have always considered being sore good. But not even being able to walk down the stairs doesnt sound to great. If you want to decrease soreness, have you considered simply removing a set or two from your routine?