T Nation

Sore Shoulders & Chest Exercises?

For the past week or so my shoulder has been feeling sore, but not to the point where I feel like I am risking injury. Oddly enough I don't feel it much when I am working my shoulders, or at all when working back or arms.

I only really feel it when doing any kind of chest pressing motions. I feel it the most when I break parallel, up until there I'm comfortable.

I'd like to continue training my chest, but with lower weight/higher reps and new movements that I am not used to.

The 2 exercises I've been able to do that have not bothered my shoulders are cable flyes, and an exercise that I can't name but will describe: You place a bar in a corner as if you were doing T-bars or lumberjack squats, then you place a bench in front of it, load one end, grip the bar on that end and while seated you press it away from you.

Any suggestions for similar exercises, or suggestions in general? Thanks.

There's lots of shoulder moves and chest moves you can do you got to experiment with a lot of them. Try different bench variations, one of my favourite combos is supersetting a bench variation with a isolation movement like flies. For shoulders just try lots of presses and all there variations, arnold press is one of my favourites for that one.

Close grip and decline pressing are typically easier on the shoulders.

Lower the weight and focus on lifting with your pecs, not your shoulders. Or, perhaps better yet, substitute bench press with DB press and focus on full range of motion (below parallel). If you have long arms you should expect pressing movements to be problematic until you focus on quality first.

Try to visualize pinching something between your shoulder blades. Lock those shoulders down on the bench, and like Scotacus said, focus lifting with your pecs. Keep your elbows in.

As an experiment, try putting no weight on the bar, and just do the motion of the lift as you normally would. At the top of the lift look at your shoulders. Are they higher than your pecs? That's where the problem is. I had the same soreness until I learned to lock my shoulder blades down. It may take some time to get used to and you may have to lower your weight, but once you get used to it, your chest will grow and your shoulders will thank you.

Hope this helps! :slightly_smiling:

I have exactly the same problem, have been able to fix it as yet...

Did you manage to sort it out?

Sorry, i meant Haven't been able to fix it yet...