Sore Shoulder...

Just curious here…I have been reading a lot on rotator cuffs lately and from what I’ve seen, most rotator cuff injuries have something to do with a torn or sore muscle involved with the shoulder…

I followed a few tests online to try and see what might be up with mine, but my pain seems to be more or less the actual bone itself in there. I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago, and it went away after a couple of weeks…

Basically, it hurts my left shoulder (inside) to do things like put on a shirt or bench press…skull crushers are also out of the question.

There are a lot of exercises I can still do that don’t affect it at all so I’m still trucking along at the gym. It seems that I hurt it more in every day situations like lifting something the wrong way or like a jerk on the arm.

For example, I helped an old lady at the store today get a shopping cart out of the rack that was stuck, and when it freed…ouch.

Anyway, I read a bunch of stuff that is said to rehab the rotator cuff, but I’m thinking that may all relate to a hurt muscle and not the actual bone itself.

Is there anything that someone can recommend that may have experienced something like this? I mean it’s definitely getting in the way of my gym work as far as triceps and chest goes.

I haven’t really been the type to go see a doctor – not even sure what kind of doctor I would go see for this type of thing…I realize that’s the smart thing to do and no one can ‘diagnose’ a problem, just curious if anyone has experienced something similar and gotten through it.

Do you think glucosamine/chondroiton would help? I bought a nice bottle then was reading a bunch of stuff how that can negatively affect your body’s insulin response.

Thanks.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1546204

Take a look at Phase I of this shoulder program written up by Chad Waterbury and Alwyn Cosgrove.

edit : in case link didn’t work [May 4,07]
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-183-training

There is no bone in your shoulder. There are some internal muscles in your shoulder though.
Also, there are no nerves in bone. So a bone wouldn’t feel painfull. If you have the feeling a bone hurts, it’s most likely a tendon or a bursa.

So you think it would be smart to visit a doctor. But ? ? ?
What’s holding you back? Get an echo.

Glucosamine/chondroiton could help, in the long run.

kinein: Thanks, I’ll look into those links.

Wreckless: Well, the thing is that I’ve been here before. Last time it took a while for it to go away and this time I’d like to get some opinions to maybe help it along. I figure if I can get through it this time, back to health, then I’ll follow a nice rotator cuff article to keep them both healthy in the future.

Thanks.

Sounds like you might have bursitis. Just talk to your regular family practice type doctor. If it is bursitis, it can be cured with NSAIDs. But see a doctor to be sure.

[quote]deapee wrote:
kinein: Thanks, I’ll look into those links.

Wreckless: Well, the thing is that I’ve been here before. Last time it took a while for it to go away and this time I’d like to get some opinions to maybe help it along. I figure if I can get through it this time, back to health, then I’ll follow a nice rotator cuff article to keep them both healthy in the future.

Thanks.

[/quote]

In your workouts are you taking enough time to work on your rear delts and your back. Sometimes when more emphasis is place on your front delts and your chest you will realize a pain similar to what you are describing.

Basically your chest muscles would be pulling you shoulders towards you (essentially, if you stand next to a mirror - sideways - your shoulders would be rotating in). To correct this you can focus on some rear delt exercises, as well as, working your upper back to correct your posture (pulling you shoulders back and straightening you up).

I’ve had similar troubles, the first thing to do is definitely see a doctor. It sounds to me like bursitis as well. External rotation, scapular work, lots of stretching are all good solutions, and personally, doing a ton of lat work made my shoulders feel better (probably some sort of strength imbalance). Hope you get it taken care of soon.